1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What TT's do you folks have

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Grumpy, Jun 22, 2002.

1. sibesrule

sibesrule New Member

My main TT is an HK ST-7 with an at440ml. My Dual 1249 has a Micro-Acoustics 2002e. And my next TT is a home made affair employing a Thorens 165 motor and platter and the roller bearing of an ST5 and the tonearm I made with a shure m97 cartridge. I also have a Rabco ST4 also using a 2002e cartridge and having a replaced motor out of the ST5. The ST4 needs the tonearm pick up circuit fixed.

Attached Files:

TimF, Chedder68, epifanatic and 2 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. epifanatic

epifanatic acoustically suspended

I love those ST's. I've been looking for a reasonably priced (good luck, I know) example for a long time.

3. SterlingOne

SterlingOne Active Member

I'm still enjoying my Sony PS-4750 I purchased about 44 years ago.The one shown is not mine. The US model's power on/off is controlled be the tonearm lift. 0[1].jpg

4. Hobie1dog

Hobie1dog Super Member

Well, a guy came over to buy receiver that I had for sale and looked at my micro Seiki DDX 1000 turntable and said I want to buy that when you're ready to get rid of it, so now I will probably sell it so that I can get a fully automatic direct-drive turntable. I found a revox b791 on Craigslist and I'm going to look at on Saturday.

5. luckybaer

luckybaer n00b

I just finished setting up a SL-1210GR. It is pretty cool.

SuperAvilyn and p4gan like this.
  6. jnicholson14

jnicholson14 Wasted Years Subscriber

Just got a Rega Ania cartridge from Needlestein for my Rega RP6. Loving the way this sounds so far. Great detail.
    20181028_091146.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    lightcapture, 808_state and jimreeves like this.

7. Ibemiked

Ibemiked Active Member

Technics SL-1210m5g
    Numark TTx
    (2)Vestax BDT-2000
    Technics SL-1900
    Technics SL-1301
    Technics SL-QX300
    JVC SRC-900
    Technics SL-Q200
    (2)Stanton t.62
    Pioneer PL-514
    Numark TTi
    Numark TTusb
    Collaro Conquest (Curtis Mathes console)
    Garrard model 50 (pilot console)
    Garrard (The Fisher Console)
    Philco Scratch Guard (Philco console)
    Zenith CobraMatic (1947 Zenith console)
    Zenith Micro Touch LPM-95-4
    Westinghouse mono (Westinghouse console)
    Magnavox Astro sonic (Magnavox console)
    BSR from Lloyds Stereo

8. SuperAvilyn

SuperAvilyn New Member

I'm using a Technics SL-1210 Mk2. Indeed, the black version of the legendary SL-1200 Mk2, a.k.a. 'The Wheel Of Steel'.

I bought it second-hand a few years ago (when they were still a lot more affordable, prices have gone up considerably since) and I love it. As can be expected from a Technics direct-drive, it has been operating completely flawlessly since. I'm randomly using Audio Technica AT-95E, Denon DL-110 and Nagaoka MP-110 cartridges and I have a Rega Fono Mini A2D as a phono-preamp (since my NAD C350 integrated lacks a phono entry).

I really like the taut, dynamic yet neutral sound of the deck and the slickness of all its controls, it's sturdy, well thought out and practical, very Japanese. I mean, if you want to switch between 33 and 45 rpm, you just press a button, there's no need to remove the platter and fiddle with a belt like on some British tables. If you want to adjust the arm height, you just turn the control ring, there's no need to disassemble the arm to put washers between it. A quality product.

Whoever thinks that the SL is 'just a DJ deck' could be in for a surprise, it is really a fine HiFi deck, as it was originally conceived to be, actually. Its substantial construction, quick start, speed stability and total reliability quickly made it a favourite among DJ's, but that doesn't mean that it is not suitable for audiophile use.

9. Jeffery Hoyt

Jeffery Hoyt New Member

Technics SL1600, Sansui SR222, Sansui SR525

guiller likes this.
  10. hiwattnick

hiwattnick AK Subscriber Subscriber

I received my Grado, which was retipped by Needlestein, and it sounds absolutely phenomenal on my SL1200!
    DFDCDF11-57CE-415D-84A3-A8905D55832C.jpeg
    4961094B-C545-482E-9690-E21913217385.jpeg

He was also able to take the bend out of my Blue2’s Cantilever!
    F61A1D56-8BE3-45E7-90FB-E6F58C1B0A90.jpeg
    F2A55ADC-90A5-4F94-B858-8C59C0050D92.jpeg
    My Technics deck is very happy now thanks to his genius! :bowdown:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    808_state and JohnnyNapalm like this.
  11. Pianist1

Pianist1 Active Member

VPI Prime Signature with an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge.
    [​IMG]

guiller, SuperAvilyn and DeeCee like this.

12. sibesrule

sibesrule New Member

I don't want to cause pain and suffering on this page but once I found a Thorens 160 at a garage sale for $5. I didn't even try to talk him down lower than that.

13. hiwattnick

hiwattnick AK Subscriber Subscriber

Beautiful! Just a stunning looking turntable. VPI does em right!

DeeCee and Pianist1 like this.
  14. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

That's okay, just remember this is the Audio Karma forums. :rolleyes:

In any case, fifteen LPs for taunting......:cool:

15. Metamodern

Metamodern New Member

Edwards Audio TT1. Its just a juiced up Planar 2 but it's an upgrade for me coming from a Pro-ject RPM 1.3
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

guiller likes this.
  16. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

Welcome to the AK turn table forum. :)

17. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

Been awhile since I updated. I wound up getting the Denon DP-300f's issue sorted out and gave it to my friend who was looking for a simple system (gave him a newer Sherwood stereo receiver and a couple speakers a friend built to complete his set up).

I still have:
    The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, but upgraded from Ortofon 2M Red to 2M Blue. Still will be saving up for an MC cartridge that caught my eye awhile ago.
    The Realistic Lab-395, though I bought a new stylus for it since I do not think its stylus has ever been replaced.
    The Sony PS-LX510 with the new Grado Black cartridge, but it currently is not in any system because it has been replaced by:

New (to me):
    Dual 1215 with an Ortonfon OM10 cartridge/stylus. I also have the 78 stylus and the mono stylus for that cartridge.

I still favor the Pro-Ject, but yesterday I was reminded how good the Dual can sound on an old 45 of Chuck Berry performing Johnny B Goode and My Ding-a-Ling live. I think I forgot since I have been mostly listening to old 78s or not as pristine 45s on the Dual which are scratchy and thus do not show how good it can sound if playing something clean). Also gave the Realistic some play yesterday and was pleased with it.

18. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

I won't be buying any more turntables in the near future except maybe to fix up and offer up to you guys on BT if they pop local for cheap.

Currently rocking a Sony TTS-4000. I need to finish it's plinth. This afternoon a JVC TT-101 is arriving from a chance eBay snag that will need some love to get running reliably. I also have a Rek-o-Kut B-12 that's waiting on a motor rebuild. Once I move into a real house I'll have at least two of the three setup in different rooms. :)

19. csgreene

csgreene Member

I have a Technics SL-QL1, Denon DP-23F, and Marantz 6100. The latter two are in good shape but not used. I've had the Technics for 35 years or so. Still use the original cart but have replaced the stylus over the years.

Edited to change the "not used" comment above. My younger son is interested in vinyl (it's a thing with his crowd) so I pulled out the the Marantz 6100 which has an AT95e cart I installed awhile back and hooked it up to check it over. Worked fine except the auto-return ain't...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    guiller likes this.
  20. rainman14624

rainman14624 New Member

Started in 1977 with a Technics SL-1400 with an AT14Sa cartridge. Have added two Technics SL-D2s, as well as a SL-5, SL-J2, SL-23, two Pioneer PL-5s, PL-400, two Duals, two JVCs, one Fisher, a Yamaha and a partridge in a pear tree! Yikes! Is that too many?