What TT's do you folks have

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Grumpy, Jun 22, 2002.

1. guiller

guiller Toscaninichus Australis

Welcome to the AK community!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. zoombrewer77

zoombrewer77 Tinnitus Maximus Subscriber

IMG_9159.JPG IMG_9161.JPG BIC 40z. Pickering XV 15 Micro IV. I listen to a lot of country, alt-country, classic rock, indie, punk, and jazz. This rig does all of that with awesome results.

guiller likes this.
  3. Frank Sch

Frank Sch Active Member

Technics SL1200 and AR 77XB IMG_4600.jpeg

Attached Files:

Ilikevinyl and guiller like this.
  4. danj

danj modern primitive

Three of the four mounted cartridges for my Dual 1229 (not shown is a Stanton 681EEE that is also in reserve). The Shure is currently in use.

All three pictred cartridges pass the Telarc 1812 Overture "cannon shot test." I haven't tried it with the Stanton.

Front to back: Pickering XSV-3000S with OEM stylus, Grace F8L, Shure V15III HE with LP Gear replacement stylus. The 681EEE has an OEM stereohedron.

IMG_0040.JPG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    AikiAudio, Ilikevinyl and guiller like this.
  5. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

Just got this beauty on a AK trade.

Acoustic Research AR-XB

C9867FBB-2E7F-45ED-99A7-90397ADC7C66.jpeg 2698EFA1-43D9-4B64-8AC8-616924A883D9.jpeg

6. Stephen Dare

Stephen Dare New Member

I have 6 turntables but only 2 in use, they are my TD160 with upgrades and my Rega that started life as a P3 but I have thrown every upgrade part I could find at it.

Ilikevinyl likes this.

7. Jnevill

Jnevill Super Tweeter

RemoWilliams, JD#7, AikiAudio and 5 others like this.
  8. cheapo_eddy

cheapo_eddy Member

Technics SL-D202 and SL-D2, Stanton T.62, all of which came from thrift stores.

Recently offloaded a JVC belt-drive which had surprisingly little rumble for a belt-drive that appeared to have been blow-molded from the same plastic used in the manufacture of swizzle sticks and a motor identical to what's found in a $15 adult novelty store appliance.

Ripped many an MP3 with the D-202. It'll get retired as a spare.

The SL-D2 is a recent acquisition in very nice condition, and will shortly be getting a better-quality speed control pot, extra-shielded signal cables, and auto-return tonearm trip mechanism surgically removed, just like I did with the D202. Pictures to follow.

If an orphaned decent tonearm shows up sometime down the road, I might stick it on the Stanton, which is one of those stupid DJ type things. I bought it because A: cheap and B: has a servo-lock LED indicator next to the pitch control, an aesthetically pleasing platter and what appears to be a halfway decent DD motor.

Ilikevinyl likes this.
  9. Sam Harris

Sam Harris New Member

Ilikevinyl likes this.
  10. danj

danj modern primitive

Darn!
    I had to pull my 1229 out of service due to a disintegrating steurpimple causing wonky tonearm operation (the steurpimple was new but was in my part box for a long time). Until I can get a replacement I am using my Mistubishi direct-drive with Grado cartridge. the LP is Dave Brubeck's TIME OUT.
    DSC00485dxo.jpg

EDIT: The 1229 has been repaired but I think I'll wait a week or two before putting it back in rotation.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  11. Natitude

Natitude Super Member

My current tt is a Technics SL D3, but I’m in the process of saving up for a Music Hall MMF 2.3

E6D0AF86-8097-45EE-AFF6-3E0E33B17496.jpeg

AikiAudio, Ilikevinyl and guiller like this.

12. cheapo_eddy

cheapo_eddy Member

Small fun project, just finished the other day. $20 thrift-store beater, a Technics SL-D2, heavily modified.

Stripped mechanical chassis bare of arm-return mechanism & trip linkage, and was surprised at how cheaply made this thing is.

Wired tonearm output directly to fully shielded audio jacks and ground terminal on side.

Clipped out PCB trace to one side of crappy stock speed control pot, rerouted to nice old Allen-Bradley instrument-grade pot that came from a 1957 Tektronix oscilloscope.

Adorned same with a heavy knurled aluminum setscrew knob, origin unknown. It works so much more slick than the stock one!

Replaced line cord with a nice Euro-style cord.

upload_2019-1-3_21-28-55.png

Attached Files:

13. danj

danj modern primitive

I decided not to wait and have put my repaired 1229 back into rotation. 'Tis again working as it should. The Shure V15III is mounted and sounding mighty fine.
    DSC00486dxo.jpg

14. aeroscott

aeroscott New Member

I have been using a new white Rega Planar 3 for the past 18 months, and loving every minute of it!

15. Ciel Udbjørg

Ciel Udbjørg New Member

I have an SL-DL 5 from Technics, that has died on me… had it since 1981 or so.

guiller likes this.
  16. 201bk

201bk New Member

17. DonC1965

DonC1965 AK Subscriber Subscriber

18. xs650shawn

xs650shawn Active Member

Picked up a Kenwood KD-3055 today! The Rock! 20190108_131525.jpg

19. Chip2020

Chip2020 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I own quite a few turntables and record changers, but presently I'm using a 1977 Collaro PH-1252 with a Shure SC35C cartridge w/SS35C stylus, The phono pre-amp is a Cambridge Audio 640P, the power amp is a modified and integrated Magnavox 9302 tube amp which drives a pair of Klipsch R-51M speakers. Audio Config.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    AikiAudio, Burner and danj like this.
  20. liemjerry

liemjerry Active Member

Dual 1229 is always entertaining to see and operate . Love it

201bk and danj like this.