What TT's do you folks have

Hey Jack,

The Music Hall and Project tables are built in the same factory, but I don't think the various models are exactly the same. I am really happy with it, although I haven't heard enough to make any meaningful comparisons. I can say that it is absolutely, positively in another league compared to my late '70's Pioneer DD :D :D :D

Ken

Originally posted by KCM
Music Hall MMF-7.............

Hey KCM,

I need to buy another phono for one of my systems (and like to buy different ones) and was wondering how you liked the little Gram Amp 2?

~Michael~

Gram Amp

Michael,

This is the Gram Amp 2 SE, which is touted as being a cut above the regular Gram Amp 2. I am fairly happy with it, definitely better sounding than the built in phono stages in my vintage receivers/amps. I did swap out the original IC for a better one recently, but haven't listened to it enough to form any strong opinion there. I recently bought a highly modified Hafler preamp with a built in phono stage, so I'm not currently using this Gram Amp. Let me know if you want to give it a listen.

Ken

Re: Gram Amp

Originally posted by KCM

I am fairly happy with it, definitely better sounding than the built in phono stages in my vintage receivers/amps. I did swap out the original IC for a better one recently, but haven't listened to it enough to form any strong opinion there. I recently bought a highly modified Hafler preamp with a built in phono stage, so I'm not currently using this Gram Amp. Let me know if you want to give it a listen.
Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the info and the kind offer. I'll certainly let you know - the turntable in question is currently in the shop, so no immediate need.

Thanks again,

Michael

What TTs you guys have

Grumpy:
I'm currently using a VPI HW-19 Mk IV with a Triplanar III tone arm and a Monster Cable Sigma Genesis 2000 low output MC on my system. Took my vinyl experience to a whole new level, obliterating my previous AR ES-1. To say I love this thing would be an understatement. Bought it used.

I still have the AR ES-1 with the factory supplied arm (while I don't know who makes it, it looks like an Audioquest) stashed, I'm thinking of hooking it up to my bedroom system, but it needs a new cart and I don't know how much I would want to use it, knowing I have my bad boy in the main system that sounds so much better. The wife's vinyl is trashed, so she has little interest. Besides, she's gotten the music she loves already on CD.

I also have a Kenwood KD-500 without tone arm I was given that would make an interesting project, but funds are limited right now so it will have to wait. Several of my vinyl loving friends have told me I'm better off investing money in the AR than on the Kenwood, since they think it's got the best potential. It would also be cheaper since all the AR needs is a new cart. Decisions, decisions...

Hey, my first post here!

Grumpster,

I have 4 TTs, two in use and one of the others being prepared for it's assault on the vinyl world again.

They are
Gyro, SAEC 407/23, Denon 103D or Win Labs SDT10
Townshend Rock Elite, Merlin PSU, Excaliber, Garrott Decca London,
and a pair of Technics SP10 Mk2 TTs with SH10 PSU. One of the SP10's will get my new SME10 arm and Denon 103S, as soon as I can make a plinth for it.

Three working TT systems are a bit much for the living room. Once the SP10 is up and running for a while, I'll decide which one can go. The Rock is definitely staying.

Cheers

I have just one TT right now--Denon DP57L, with Shure V15 RS attached. I'm looking forward to adding an AR ES-1, XA, Thorens TD-160, or something similar.

Welcome aboard Northman

Like jello theres always room for another TT :D

Grumpy

Here's a pic of my Thorens TD-160 (MkI) in its current state. It needs a headshell (which I have located, just waiting for it to be sent), a new belt (the old one has stretched too much) and new RCA plugs (can't decide whether to re-wire or just cut off the old & attach new ones... I'll probably try the latter first and avoid digging around the insides for awhile -- depends if there's hum without a separate ground wire connected to my preamp).

The cosmetics are very good indeed, someone took very good care of this TT.

Last edited:
Hi Jack,

My digital camera is out on loan being used for some surfing footage. When it comes home, I'll knock off some TT happy snaps.

Cheers

Pic(s) to come..gotta get 'em developed (and hope they turn out!). This, like most other Denon TT's, is a great big, beautiful unit. For those not familiar with it, it's a semi-auto (lift at end of disc; no return or shutoff), as are all of the "L" tables. The "F" tables are fully auto, including cueing to disc. (The 47F even automatically senses disc size and sets speed, doesn't it? Pretty cool, in my book.)

Chris

I assume this is a mkI variation--correct? What's the difference between the "Super" and the..."not-so-super?!?!?!"

Originally posted by bully
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the KD-500. Kenwood made some very fine TTs 'once upon a time.'

pete
I hate to say this, but they've also made some very crappy ones (which I've had the misfortune to 'run into' somewhere along the line). But I suppose that can be said of many TT manufacturers. Unfortunately, a couple bad experiences have spoiled me to the brand.

yeah, there is a 'wheat from the chaff' deal to be aware of.
the KD-500, KD-650, and several others, though, were very nice.

There was the Kenwood/Trio L07D of course...

Moog, the TD160 looks to be in very nice condition. Good luck and have lots of fun with it.

Northman, the Super incorporates a lot of the mods that tweakers were already doing to thier standard 160's back in late 70's and early 80's. Like a better mat, damped sub-chassis, no foam damping in the springs. Not certain but I think the main bearing was also improved.

There some articles in the Analog Dept which talk about the differences and other mods. I found them in some old English mags.
http://www.theanalogdept.com/hfa.htm

cheers
Jack

Originally posted by bully
yeah, there is a 'wheat from the chaff' deal to be aware of.
the KD-500, KD-650, and several others, though, were very nice.
Ditto Sony... I would actually trade my Thorens TD-160 for a mint condition Sony PS-X60 or PS-X50. They probably sound better! I really don't care for the idea of synchronous AC motors, and no way to fine-tune speed if the belt doesn't sit perfectly on the pulley, or the line frequency varies a bit. Having lived too long already with TT's with speed "just a little off," using the direct drive Optonica has been refreshing.

Last edited:
Actually, that's about the only complaint about my Denon DP57L--no pitch control. True, it has the "quartz lock," a precision speed control, and it utilizes a magnetic servo motor (not syncronous), but still....

(Oh, and I wouldn't mind a little more torque, either...guess there is no perfect TT, so we buy more than one!!)

Northman, are there pitch control pots inside the TT? My experience is that usually there are even on the cheapest TT's, if there's no external speed adjustment (unless it uses a synchronous AC motor, which is timed off the power line frequency). Usually they're either on the motor controller board, or if there's a small circuit board connected to the 33/45 switch they sometimes put them there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom