What TT's do you folks have

Huh...never even thought to look! I'll pull the unit apart some time and peek around for a pitch control pot. Thanks for the heads-up on that!

Just found this place and like what I see.

My tables include:
Garrard Synchro-Lab 95B
Thorens TD160
Thorens TD145
Denon DP75/aftermarket laminated base (heavy) and VM professional arm

Dual 1019

I'm currently using the Garrard with a Grado black cartridge. All the tables work nice, the Garrard is least suseptable to footfalls (a big problem in my home, especially with the Thorens).

:)

Okay, one of us just has to ask this one: do you really play the hurdy-gurdy, Dave? I've never heard of anyone (in the present) who does. If you do, where the hell do you pick one up? I just couldn't resist asking!:D

Hi Dave

Welcome aboard. Nice to have another Michigander here. Thats a very very nice collection of TT and I am very envious :) What kinda carts are you using on the Thorens ?

Northman

There's lotsa people still spinning Donovan. I love the Cosmic Wheels LP. I thought it was some of his best work.

Grumpy

Northman,
Yes, I do play the hurdy-gurdy. I build these instruments myself, and there are many others who do. A good place for info is
http://www.hurdygurdy.com
There is a pic of me and my hurdy-gurdy on any of my posts at the Decware Forum.

Grumpy,
Thanks for the welcome. At this point, the only cartridge I'm using on any table is the Grado black. I hope to be able to use the Thorens tables again, but I need to do something about my springy floor first.
:)

Stupid Me. I didnt even know that it was an instrument. :D

Very cool site, Dave. I've never known much about this instrument, since I only have two discs with it (an MHS cd *The York Waits: Old Christmas Return'd* and the Black Sabbath song "Embryo"). I didn't even know about the rosined wheel--very interesting!

I now use a Marantz 6300 with stanton cart!
Thanx Grumpy!:beerchug: :grnbounce :grnbounce :yippy: :yippy: :yippy: :yippy: :grnbounce

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Derek

Glad ya like it Derek. Lets just hope you can get the RTR and the Cassete deck up to speed soon. Then you can tape all your Fav Vinyl.

Dave

Oman

Thats a nice rig you have. Care to share a quick review of it with the rest of us..

Grumpy

My TT Yam PF800 + Hey PunkerX!!

Howdy guys,
I've recently obtained(for $90) a beautiful Yamaha PF800 w/Adcom Cart. I use it with a Nak TA-2A Stasis Amp/Rec. and a pair of Advent 4's. This combo,all bought on the cheap, sounds great in my small room. If PunkerX or any other owners see this, I have a couple of questions:
1) I've only been able to obtain a poorly reproduced PDF file copy of the manual. It's flat out impossible to read the Shaded IMPORTANT sections! Know where I can find the real deal?
2) How and to what degree do you adjust the 3 springs? When are you done?
If you need a belt for this TT or the 1000 I have the model #somewhere, I got mine from Garage-a-records(nice and fast service).
BTW,the only difference w/the 1000(other than the color scheme) is that the platter is made of bronze instead of zinc.
Anyone w/any info at all,please respond.
Thanks in advance
mld277@yahoo.com

Welcome to the forum. The 1000, other than a different platter, had a wood-finish base, unlike your 800 (yours is black, I assume). As for adjusting your springs, it isn't a matter of being "finished," so to speak; it's a matter of getting the table LEVEL via the three suspension towers, and adjusting the spring tension to where you feel there's enough give to absorb outside vibrations but not so much mushiness that your 'table bounces at footfalls, etc. I'd suggest tuning them all so they're reasonably "tight," then loosening them a little at a time until you reach the desired compromise. How do the rest of you guys do it?

BTW: I didn't even know Adcom even made carts--I assume it wasn't too many years? How does it sound? That would be very cool to hear. Then again, it seems everyone around 1988-1992 was coming out with a cart (KRELL, for God's sake!!!)

Good luck with your beautiful TT!

Yamaha PF800

Thanks Northman,
The Adcom GFC-16 is what came w/the TT. I think it sounds great! My first MC. I upgraded from a Technic QR350(I think) that was having pitch problems and have found this rig to sound exceptional. I've been playing the Telarc Soundstream Digital "Stravinsky/Firebird/Shaw/ASO" mastered by the great Stan Ricker as a control. If you're into Classical(even if most dig. LP's suck!) you should definitely check this disc out. Seriously deep grooves and massive low end.
Also, the local Audio shop guy likes the Adcoms(and he hates everything). I don't have any further info on Adcom at all. If you come up w/anything please let me know.

Sansui SR-838 with Pickering TL4S cartridge.
(I usually don't like dd tables but this, and the Sony below, are very very good turntables with very fine performance)
Denon DP-11F with Grado Silver cartridge.
(Complete with servo-arm. It's a very good table but not as good as the Sansui - and about 25 lbs. lighter - that I keep 'cuz the wife really digs it.)
DIY belt-drive (exceptional performance!) with an AT150LC cartridge.
(My project started out as a busted AR-XA and is now a full-blown audiophile dream. Pics can be seen on the Yahoo! vinyl-rules group.)
Technics SL-5 with an ADC PSX-20 cartridge. (for sale)
Pioneer PL-15R with an AT11E cartridge (see it soon in the vintage audio museum at The Music Shop in Grants Pass, OR)
Pioneer PL-12D with Pickering cartridge. (for sale)
Yamaha P350 (for sale)

recently sold:
Thorens TD-145
AR-XA
Sony PS-X50
Garrard 301 (i'm thinking I should have kept this one but where would I put it?)
Pioneer PL-10
Pionner PL-117D
Yamaha YP-B4
Marantz 6100
Marantz 6200
Yamaha YP-B1
Garrard Zero-100C
DUAL 1219
DUAL 1229Q
Technics SL-1700
(my wife made me clean out the garage! All the turntables were VG-or better in condition and THANK YOU, EBAY!)

Hey, my Nottingham TT just got reviewed in TAS

TAS reviews the Spacedeck along with the Michell GyroDec.

I bought my Spacedeck after hearing a bunch of good stuff from Audio Asylum inmates, esp. Rob Doorack who wrote the Listener review of the Spacedeck. Fortunately, a Nottingham dealer (actually the former US importer) was within driving distance so I could actually hear the table.

One good thing about the arm "pod" on the Nottinghams--it allows use of Rega arms(and others) and gives VTA adjustment (with the appropriate collar).

TY
BTW, I had considered the Michell as well (but never heard one); glad to see the reviewer preferred the Spacedeck.

I have a Yamaha P320 I bought at a Thrift Store. It played great until the old belt stretched out[got one on order] It needs dust cover hinges and it will be complete. Anyone got a pair for sale? After I bought this TT, I started to play some of my old records and I think I got the bug. I must buy MORE TT`s.

Back
Top Bottom