What was the fastest car you ever owned?

1970 Oldsmobile Hurst-442, 455, dual 4-barrel carbs, ram-air hood, 4-speed w/Hurst linkage, blueprinted and balanced at Motion Speed on Long Island.

She "went down the street", to say the least.

Dunno, never owned or drove a car I considered "fast" tho did once covet a friends XK-150-S roadster.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bought a brand new 5 liter Mustang Cobra back in '86 when I was an apprentice electrician.
Not a super-car by any means, but it was a big step up from what I was used to.:thmbsp:

I now have a 2010 Miata GT. It goes around corners faster than the Mustang used to.:D

Prolly my '67 Lincoln Pervertable Sedan...Had it up to a 100 once, & it had PLENTY left to go... But then, I thought, "You're in a (Then)25 yr old car w/NO top, loosy-goosy front end, questionable brakes, & you're barreling along at the Tonne... Reckon you orta throttle it back a tech ?!?" So I slowed 'er down to a mere 70, as if THAT made a LOT of difference...(grin)

I was born in the early 50's turned 16 in 1966. The era of Muscle cars. I grew up owning a few Big block Chevy's. 440 Magnum Dodge Dart. Did a lot of drag racing in my times. Street and strip. Cars and motorcycles. Right now I have a GMC Sierra Denali Pickup Truck that's pretty fast as well with over 400hp. So it's hard for me just to pick one. :D

My 1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD. It has an EVOIII 16G turbo, 272 cams, 2g ECU, FMIC and ran a 12.2 at the DSM Shootout. I was running about 24lbs of boost at the time and the car made about 400 in virtual dyno. I am in the process of building a 1991 Talon with an FP Black, 272 Kelfords, ETS race front mount and supporting mods. I followed the recipe a couple others were using and this should be about 550hp. It will be a full interior 10 second car. All built in my garage.

Silly as it sounds, my 1986 Lincoln Town Car may have it. If not, its a right close second to my 1991 Lincoln Mark VII. Neither are fast cars by any reasonable definition but I've usually had really slow stuff. First two cars were VW Beetles, then a Dodge Dakota, the S10 I have now, the 86 Townie, and the 91 Mark VII comprise my entire list of owned vehicles from 1998 to present.

Not mine, but belongs to my wife's cousin... C6 Z06 Vette with the Edelbrock 700 hp supercharger kit. I don't think I would want it.

1991 Taurus SHO. .. Went an honest 145 mph....

This was stupid I know but I drove it to sioux falls from here (80 miles) with the pedal buried the whole trip ...
was eerily quiet at that speed

Matt

I had a '66 Buick Special wagon with a 2 speed tranny. Would do about 75 before it shifted if you were on the throttle hard. The speedometer went to 120 (maybe 125?) and it'd do quite a bit more after it pegged. Maybe 140, pretty decent for a wagon.

53217589_pr.jpg

Mine was single color, sort of aqua blue.

Last edited:
I've owned a lot of fast cars.

Fastest was my 1971 Boss 351 Mustang I sold many years ago.

Fastest motorcycle was a 1982 Suzuki 750. That was super fast. Speedometer only went to 85 or 90 I believe and I'd bury that thing.

Now I have a V-6 Mustang that is all the speed I need.

Former drag strip used 70 Dodge Coronet R/T with 440 Magnum should have been the fastest. I've driven other stock cars as fast as I ever went in the Dodge. Like slow jazz, I don't need a car like that. I've been stupid enough in slower cars.

I'll list 3 that stand out in my mind the most:

1969 Plymouth Sport Satellite 440 / 727 Auto / 3:91 Suregrip. Consistent 13.00 Second Quarter mile car. On cold days with slicks, could pull the occasional 12.94 or so...

1973 Dodge Challenger 360 .60 over with J-code 340 heads, 727 trans (Reverse manual valve body and 3,000 RPM stall) 3:91 Suregrip, Ran dor handle to door handle with the Plymouth at a very consistent 13 flat quarter, never reached the 12's.

1983 Mustang GT with 351 W, aluminum heads, 4 speed , 3:55 gears, never ran it through the quarter but turned mid 8 sec 1/8th mile times on street tires.

And though they're not as fast as their modern counterparts, my old Kawasaki H2 750 Triple would put a few more beats to your heart rate if you squeezed it unprepared and the gas tank would jump up and bump your chest at 70 MPH on a crowded highway. :)

Last edited:
1991 Taurus SHO. .. Went an honest 145 mph....

This was stupid I know but I drove it to sioux falls from here (80 miles) with the pedal buried the whole trip ...
was eerily quiet at that speed

Matt

Cool Beans Matt!! I had a black '91 Sho that I bought new, very nice car with a killer Yamaha engine. My first car was a '70 Dart Swinger 318 as you might already know.

I had a 1969 4-speed Road Runner and then a 1970 Mustang Mach I with the 351 Cleveland engine. Then I had a baby girl and the Mustang got traded for a 1971 Chevy station wagon. Life has not been the same for cars since then.

My Clincoln has a 462 big block V-8, w/NO Pollution crapola of any kind on it- Just a big lunkin' old lazy ginormous V-8, w/GOBS & GOBS of grunt... Supposedly, the '67 would top out at 128 MPH, if you wanted to keep yr foot GLUED to the floor long enuff.. ALL Lincolns got front discs standard in '65, but the rear end was strictly out of the Coal-Cart school of design til 1970... Live axle, hung on 2 rather substantial springs. The suspension on the Pervertable would put a Super Duty to shame... But you had right at 6000 lbs of car, plus how many lard-butt 1960s Executive types...

Fastest (as contrasted to quickest) car I've owned and still own is '91 Z-28 5.7L. Per car rag of the day, top speed is 153 mph. I've never personally measured the full top speed with GPS but the speedo is numbered to 145. I can personally attest the needle goes past 145 to at least where 150-155 would be.

Fastest I've driven was a Mercedes AMG CL55 Kompressor. Capable of top speed in excess of 200, fully unlocked. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) it was not fully unlocked and even if it was, there was no place to go that fast at the time I drove the car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom