What was the last movie you watched?

Storks - Started out ok and was cute but like most movies today, they are trying to make them longer but end up killing your interest with dumb stuff for the last 30 minutes. Also probably a bad idea to lie to your children as to where babies come from.

"Dirty Pretty Things" (2002) stars Chiwetel Ejiofor, Audrey Tautou
Two illegal immigrants are roommates who work at a London hotel, where the ethically-challenged manager runs a lucrative side business, convincing desperate immigrants to trade one of their kidneys for a counterfeit passport. Late-shift front desk manager Okwe was a doctor in Nigeria, he catches onto what`s happening, and inserts his own interesting twist. I liked this one, it showed that in the real world, everything IS for sale....

Audrey Tautou is scrumptious in the movie Priceless:

priceless2_largepreview.jpg

Lion. Currently in theaters. Young boy in India gets lost in Calcutta, adopted by Australian couple, then reunited with his natural family decades later as an adult. Based on a true story. This was a good movie that avoided getting mawkish and sappy.

I took the afternoon off the other day and watched two old favorites back-to-back: Shawshank Redemption and Animal House. They both hold up pretty well.

Shawshank is my favorite Morgan Freeman role. There's that unspoken regret over a wasted life and the sadness of knowing that he can't make it on the outside, but still a happy ending. He nails it without overdoing it. I like it a little more each time I watch.

Animal House was on IFC, and I was surprised that they ran it completely uncensored, verbally and visually.

Sat through "Hell Or High Water" last night. Not one of the better "Modern Westerns" I've seen by a long shot (pun intended). Would not recommend this one.

"Dazed and Confused" (1993), stars Matthew McConaughey, Ben Affleck, Rory Cochrane

Takes place on the last day of school, 1976....perfectly captures every nuance of teenage life at that time (makes me want to go back in time). Life was way simple....beer and weed were available in abundance, the girls were cute, Aerosmith tickets were about to go on sale (!), and a killer soundtrack held the whole thing together.

La Ronde (1950)
(Anton Walbrook, Simone Signoret, Serge Reggiani)

An exercise in style, La Ronde was one of the few films of the 1950s to contain overtly sexual themes. The story is a series of character vignettes, set in Vienna in the early 1900s and held together by a narrator (Anton Walbrook). As the title implies, both the story and the film's visual motifs are circular. Director Max Ophuls uses an old-fashioned merry-go-round to foreshadow the film's events, in which each segment introduces a new character, who has an affair with a character from the previous scene. The film demands that the audience pay attention to the structure, to the interplay among the characters, and to the opulent visual elements; and the effect is synergistic delight, in which the viewer is engaged both visually and intellectually. Because it was filmed in black-and-white, La Ronde does not have the garish look of some of Ophuls' other films, notably Lola Montès. La Ronde is among the few foreign language films to receive multiple Oscar nominations, for Black & White Art Direction and Best Adapted Screenplay. ~ Richard Gilliam, Rovi

I watched this last night. Excellent little movie!

:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom