What was the last movie you watched?

The issue I have with Sci-Fi "Space Travel" movies is that unfortunately I studied Astrophysics in College. Space is anything BUT empty. Travel in deep space and you are going to get hit by thousands of micro-particles that are going to make you and the spacecraft swiss cheese when you are traveling at 20k plus MPH. And don't forget that the particles are also moving at their own speed, so closure speed at impact could be astronomical. The only moive to really addressed this was the recent movie "Passengers' that had the spacecraft shielded by a plasma generator at the front to incinerate space particles and small asteroids. At 20,000 mph, a grain of sand would cause catastrophic damage to a spacecraft. It's why I laugh when people say we're sending people to Mars soon. Really? Good luck with that! We don't have anywhere near the technology to get this done safely.... yet. And when I see movies like "Alien" set in the year 2100, that also gives me a big chuckle. 2300? Perhaps, but 2100? Nope. We'll be lucky to have returned to the Moon by then, let alone going to Mars or galavanting around the Galaxy like "Star Trek".

The issue I have with Sci-Fi "Space Travel" movies is that unfortunately I studied Astrophysics in College. Space is anything BUT empty. Travel in deep space and you are going to get hit by thousands of micro-particles that are going to make you and the spacecraft swiss cheese when you are traveling at 20k plus MPH. And don't forget that the particles are also moving at their own speed, so closure speed at impact could be astronomical. The only moive to really addressed this was the recent movie "Passengers' that had the spacecraft shielded by a plasma generator at the front to incinerate space particles and small asteroids. At 20,000 mph, a grain of sand would cause catastrophic damage to a spacecraft. It's why I laugh when people say we're sending people to Mars soon. Really? Good luck with that! We don't have anywhere near the technology to get this done safely.... yet. And when I see movies like "Alien" set in the year 2100, that also gives me a big chuckle. 2300? Perhaps, but 2100? Nope. We'll be lucky to have returned to the Moon by then, let alone going to Mars or galavanting around the Galaxy like "Star Trek".
Not to mention the geezer who`s been driving with his left blinker on for the last 27 million miles.... :)

Last movie I watched was ~Basquiat~ with the bearded dude from the new Westworld playing Jean Michel. It was pretty good, with a star-studded cast, particularly cool since David Bowie played Andy Warhol. Full circle if you read how Andy encouraged Bowie's music and they were good friends. My wanting to watch this all boils down to Basquiat's latest piece selling for a record $110 million, most for any American born painter.

Recently watched Shadowlands with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger a beautiful film.

Also watched Experiment in Terror a Blake Edward's film that is not a comedy but wonderfully done. The black and white cinematography is classic film noir. The jazz soundtrack by Henry Mancini is superb.

Brief Encounter (1945)
(Celia Johnson, Trevor Howard, Stanley Holloway)
- Meeting a stranger in a railway station, a woman is tempted to cheat on her husband.

Enjoyed this one very much. :thumbsup:

The Founder - biopic of Ray Kroc who bought and stole McDonalds and built an empire ...
And they didn't play the Mark Knopfler song ONCE!!

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

The beautiful Catherine Deneuve, singing to the music of Michel Legrand. A timeless classic.

Last edited:
I'll never understand the casting of Tom Cruise in that role.

I had no reference point for the first one as I'd not read the books. I actually liked that film, some memorable fight scenes, and enough plot to get by (for me)

This one though had none of the above. Whereas I usually associate Cruise w/ solid film choices, this one was not. It was just lame, like a bad 80s TV pilot.

Predictable, plodding, and not one memorable moment. I kept thinking, "How did this even get made?". Glad for Redbox and sub $2 rents that is for sure.

I had no reference point for the first one as I'd not read the books. I actually liked that film, some memorable fight scenes, and enough plot to get by (for me)

This one though had none of the above. Whereas I usually associate Cruise w/ solid film choices, this one was not. It was just lame, like a bad 80s TV pilot.

Predictable, plodding, and not one memorable moment. Glad for Redbox and sub $2 rents that is for sure.
Duly noted.

Brief Encounter (1945)
(Celia Johnson, Trevor Howard, Stanley Holloway)
- Meeting a stranger in a railway station, a woman is tempted to cheat on her husband.

Enjoyed this one very much. :thumbsup:
One of David Lean's lesser known masterpieces. I'm a huge fan of Lean.

"Bringing Down The House"

Good chemistry between Steve Martin and Queen Latifah (as well as a good performance by Eugene Levy) made this an enjoyable film for me.

Last edited:
great balls of fire...again..very good musick,about jerry l ee lewis an his marriage etc, ennis quaid,a very god fun movie,great musick

Back
Top Bottom