What was the last movie you watched?

The Comfort of Strangers - 1990

I was searching randomly for a movie to watch that I had not seen before, and saw this one. Since it starred Christopher Walken and Helen Mirren, I figured I couldn't go wrong........ WRONG!

What a weird, disjointed movie with a paper thin plot that is poorly acted. Basically, a English couple travel to Venice to rekindle romance, and run into a creepy (is there any other kind?) Christopher Walken and wife Helen Mirren. Said couple repeatedly put themselves in sketchy situations with overtly creepy strangers in a foreign country, with more or less predictable results. Wholesale suspension of disbelief is mandatory when watching this movie. Natasha Richardson (English woman) looks nice naked, but that is not nearly enough to save this strange bit of cinema.

Just a total >GACK< of a movie. Forget I even mentioned it. :)

Last edited:
-got around to seeing the second Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend.... pleasantly surprised, I would say it was better then the first one.... -but the movie one soundtrack was better.... lol.... ec

Creature From the Black Lagoon. (1954) B&W and Widescreen on Blu-ray.

The Black Lagoon looks suspiciously like Gilligan's Lagoon.

One of the few 50's creature films with a decent looking monster, the underwater scenes of the Creature swimming are very well done and even the close ups are passable.

There are some dated elements, like the beautiful young woman whose main job seems to be getting put in peril and screaming a lot.

Unlike today's Nerdy image, Scientists were apparently "Chick Magnets" back in the 50's.

Overall, a fun film to watch.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mad Max - Fury Road

Don't wast your time. Road Warrior was better (and it wasn't that good) and no CG, either.

I guess the sound is OK if you want to test your HT setup.

"Hardcore Henry" 2015.

Filmed via Go-Pro, from a first person perspective. What a trip! While not much on plot, it more than made up for that with non-stop action, stunts, and effects. Bloody stunts and effects; not for the squeamish. I'm not sure if I'd call it check your brain fun, as I don't usually enjoy violence. It's just the sheer scope of the live-action stunts that won me over. Insane.

image.jpg
Picked up and watched the animated The Princess and The Goblin it was a version with English dialogue. I found it quite enjoyable. I liked style of animation.

"Reservoir Dogs" (1992)
Tarantino`s debut, teasing us with his particular style of film making. Not your average heist movie, to be sure....after seeing Michael Madsen`s macabre little dance in the warehouse, I will never think of "Stuck In The Middle With You" (by Steeler`s Wheel) in the same light again....

Last night we watched Arrival [2016 - Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Forest Whitaker]
First, the Audio assault of too loud special sounds ("musical" cues?) simulating the weird aliens ...
(if you have a great sound system, its even more intense/annoying) - note that they toned it way down later in the film.
The irregular timeline as the film progressed, the reveal near the end that turned it into a Mind-F movie, and the concluding scenes.
I'll give them credit for taking a risk with some unusual movie making techniques in a mainstream film,
but, like Interstellar, its not one of my favorite.

Now, I'm a Science fiction buff from way back, so I've read new wave short stories and novels
with unusual timelines and chronological twists, but this felt (to me) more like they were
masking a trite storyline with unusual presentation. Just my take on it.

Oh, I also didn't buy that Amy Adams' and Jeremy Renner's characters fell in love ...

Last edited:
I watched "Lion" last night, Australian film distributed by the Weinstein Co.

Indian child mistakenly get on a train and finds himself 1600 miles from home, is adopted out to Australia. Twenty years later he tries to find his village and lost family scanning India on Google Earth. It was a tear jerker, even for me.

Mystery Train (1989) Directed by Jim Jarmusch.

Very strange little film, no plot to speak of, just the goings on of several sets of people, tied together by the Fleabag Memphis Hotel they're staying at, and of course, Elvis.

Best part was it had Screamin' Jay Hawkins as the Hotel Clerk.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097940/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

MV5BMTAxNTgyMTkxODJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDAzNzMxMzM@._V1_.jpg

Brimstone - what a whacked out western sort of. Another film with overlapping and reverse timelines....just tell the story from beginning to end.

Before that we watched

Monster Trucks - which was pretty fun and creative

"The 100 year old man that climbed out the window and disappeared".

Swedish with english subtitles (narration is in english)

i call it swedish Forrest Gump, though it is very different at the same time.

Extremely entertaining.

Tried...key word "tried" to watch "War Machine" with Brad Pitt in it last night..but just gave up after 15 mins. It didn't seem to go anywhere, but maybe that was the intent.

Q

"Ghost World" (2001) A somewhat disjointed black comedy about 2 teenage friends (Scarlett Johansson, Thora Birch) who play a cruel joke on lonely vinyl enthusiast Seymour (Steve Buscemi). Enid (Birch) strikes up an unlikely friendship with Seymour, while growing more distant from Rebecca. Not your typical teen-angst movie....

The Girl Can't Help It (1956) Jayne Mansfield's first starring role, and her big break, but the big attraction here isn't the somewhat silly story, it's the Dawn of Rock & Roll performances by Little Richard, Fats Domino, Eddie Cochran, The Platters, Gene Vincent & more!

Sure, they're lip synced but the performances are terrific and seeing these performer in their prime, in CinemaScope and in Color, beats the hell out of Kine-scoped Ed Sullivan reruns.

This film desperately needs a Blu-ray release, the DVD is adequate but it could look so much better.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049263/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_28

Last night we watched Arrival [2016 - Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Forest Whitaker]
First, the Audio assault of too loud special sounds ("musical" cues?) simulating the weird aliens ...
(if you have a great sound system, its even more intense/annoying) - note that they toned it way down later in the film.
The irregular timeline as the film progressed, the reveal near the end that turned it into a Mind-F movie, and the concluding scenes.
I'll give them credit for taking a risk with some unusual movie making techniques in a mainstream film,
but, like Interstellar, its not one of my favorite.

Now, I'm a Science fiction buff from way back, so I've read new wave short stories and novels
with unusual timelines and chronological twists, but this felt (to me) more like they were
masking a trite storyline with unusual presentation. Just my take on it.

Oh, I also didn't buy that Amy Adams' and Jeremy Renner's characters fell in love ...
I correctly guessed the plot twist halfway through the movie. I love it. It is inventive and different. Pleasantly so. Jeremy Renner is an okay actor but as a romantic actor he would inspire celibacy in surely any woman.

A United Kingdom

Dear GOD I loved this movie. Stunning story based on true historic facts. Very well acted and directed. Two thumbs and two big toes up.

images

Back
Top Bottom