What was the last movie you watched?

"Carlito`s Way" (1993)
Excellent Brian DePalma crime drama, with outstanding performances by Al Pacino, Sean Penn, Luis Guzman, Penelope Ann Miller, and John Leguizamo.
The setting: Disco-era New York City. After being released from a stretch in prison, former drug kingpin Carlito Brigante has (supposedly) sworn off The Life, as he has no desire to return to The Big House. His downfall, though, is in associating with old friends from back in the day. He soon gets sucked back into things, managing a shady-ish night club. Davey Kleinfeld, his lawyer (Penn), is also criminally-inclined, and involves Carlito in a very dangerous deal.
Carlito`s goal is to leave New York, and move to the Bahamas with his girlfriend Gail (Miller), and live a more normal life. Not as easy as it would seem....

Watched "Aftermath" (2017) on Friday night. Good movie based in part/ on a tragic real event. I seen the real life story of Überlingen mid-air collision on one of those air disaster shows on YouTube.

^^^^ Aftermath (2017 Trailer) ....................... ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Air Disaster YouTube

Last edited:
"Tobor the Great" (1954)

Wonderfully corny 50's Sci-Fi about an intelligent Robot built to pilot a Rocketship.

Of course there's a precocious young boy and his Grandpa and an evil villian (no doubt a Commie)

The poster for the film is pure marketing, at no time does Tobor carry a skimpily dressed woman.

Despite the kitsch this is really an enjoyable bit of classic 50s Sci-Fi.

IMG_0387.JPG

Concussion
Will Smith
Enlightening. Not going to give anything away here but the NFL cartel made some bad decisions.

The Messengers
Horror flick w/ Kristen Stewart.
2 stars is pushing it.

Atomic Blonde.

A comic-book vehicle for Charlize Theron's cool fight club moves, set in 1989 Berlin. Fun retro-80s/Eurotrash soundtrack, lots of explosions and car crashes, interminable fight scenes and little else. What little plot there was was virtually incomprehensible and the characters were one-dimensional caricatures.

And if you like the song "Voices Carry" it'll piss you off that much more.

"The Outsiders" (1983)
This S.E. Hinton film about rival youth gangs in 1960`s Oklahoma was a springboard for SO many young actors....Patrick Swayze, Ralph Macchio, Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Emelio Estevez, Matt Dillon, C. Thomas Howell, Leif Garrett, Diane Lane.
Watching this was like turning back the clock....

Dunkirk. Had reservations about Nolan. The reservations were well founded. Liked the movie a lot, but still find his time manipulation off putting. Somewhere in that 1.75 hours is a great movie, but should I have to see it more than once to have everything make sense? It's not like what happened is some sort of riddle. it's like he dropped all the film on the floor in the editing room and just put it together based on what got picked up first.
Still - highly recommend that others see it.

"The Outsiders" (1983)
This S.E. Hinton film about rival youth gangs in 1960`s Oklahoma was a springboard for SO many young actors....Patrick Swayze, Ralph Macchio, Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Emelio Estevez, Matt Dillon, C. Thomas Howell, Leif Garrett, Diane Lane.
Watching this was like turning back the clock....
I still like that movie. I think I have a copy on Laserdisk - will have to check.
Side story - I used to teach "Reading" to junior high aged kids. (They named the class "Literature", but I always told them on the first day of 7th grade that we we simply going to learn to "Read Well".) S.E. Hinton was my favorite ammunition. Almost EVERY kid could enjoy The Outsiders. Most enjoyed That Was Then, This Is Now. Fewer really enjoyed Rumble Fish by the end of 8th grade, but they could tell me WHY. Every once in a while, one of my ex-students would come back to see us and would tell me they had read every one of Hinton's stories. That's when I knew I had "set the hook".

Badlands (1973) loosely based on Spree Killer Charles Starkweather and his girlfriend. Stars Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek.

The Criterion Blu ray looks great and has some interesting extras, including a later life interview with Caril Ann Fugate who was Starkeweather's accomplice.

651_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I watched two movies on TCM back to back

Some Like It Hot (dang MM's outfits were revealing)

Then the last movie I watched was Trapeze with Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis, oh and Gina Lollobrigida.
Trapezetop.jpg

I went to see "Valerian" the other day with my daughter and her boyfriend. It was a 3-D showing, not my favorite format, so I wore the glasses over my glasses. The 3-D effect was so understated that I wondered why they even bothered. Except for the excellent CGI, the plot and characters were as engaging as the 3-D. It seemed to ripoff Star Wars and Avatar - all in all, the best derivative move I've ever seen, and that is NOT praise.

"They Live by Night" (1948)

Excellent Noirish film from Director Nicholas Ray, who would later direct "Rebel Without A Cause".

The basic story is a young escaped convict runs away with a young woman, he tries but of course is unable to escape his past.

Superbly done and a must see for fans of Noir & Crime movies of the period. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

they.jpg

"Spartacus" with Kirk Douglas and a cast of thousands. Enjoyable and spectacular; I would love to see this on a big screen. Douglas took a big risk hiring and crediting the blacklisted Dalton Trumbo to do the script (in two weeks!). Lots of blue-eyed Italians :). Jean Simmons was lovely.

Back
Top Bottom