What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by outlawmws, Feb 18, 2007.

1. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

Yesterday:

"Taking Woodstock" by Ang Lee. (2009)

Nice

2. Bob T

Bob T AK Subscriber Subscriber

With just the two of us on Christmas, we started a fire, and watched Die Hard...Still great.

After that we watched Passengers, a sci-fi from 2016, that turned out to be pretty good, in a stalky, Helsinki syndrome, love story, kinda way.
    [​IMG]

Spitfirejoe and Bill Ferris like this.
  3. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Well-Known Member

Tuesday evening was a BR DVD twofer--
    Started out with a 1942 Republic Pictures B/W unrated John Wayne movie: "Flying Tigers", BR DVD 102 min. release by Olive Films..
    I did enjoy it pretty well, but had some war effort propaganda`ish sections in it, but I guess that would be expected for the time period/WW II USA`s war effort and utilizing JW`s popularity..

The second BR DVD selection from my collection was one of my favorite comedy movies of all time, since I first saw it on cable back in the spring of 1982 : The Steven Spielberg`s rated PG 1979 release of : "1941" starring John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd with Ned Beatty, Lorrain Gary, Murray Hamilton, Christopher Lee, Tim Matheson, Warren Oats, Robert Stack, Treat Williams, Slim Pickens, & a few other comedian/straight actors in the cast..

This BR DVD has two versions available for viewing : the original Theatrical version @ 1hr & 59 min and the Extended version @ 2hrs. & 26 min..
    I decided to watch the extended version last night, as I had watched the original quite a few times in the past.
    No commentary audio track available, sadly, but the special features were very enjoyable, and almost as long as the original movie in length !!
    According to Mr. Spielberg, John Milius, ect. in the special feature`s interview`s this movie originally bombed in the USA in 1979 when released, but was very popular in Europe !!

I don`t give a damn what any critics say, I find this movie funny and enjoyable..
    Enjoy it, or not, Like it or not.

Regards, OKB

guiller likes this.
  4. Spitfirejoe

Spitfirejoe Cheap Audio Aficionado

Went to see Alexander Payne's new work "Downsizing" with Matt Damon in the lead role. I wish I could tell you what it was really about, but I have no idea. My daughter thought it was a masterpiece, but I was left confused.Kind of cool to see all the Omaha, Nebraska sights in the movie. Matt's movie home is a couple blocks from my daughter's place in central Omaha.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  5. reggaenaut

reggaenaut Addicted Member

Eroica. BBC television film production. It is drama surrounding the first performance of the Third Symphony. Really loved this.

Mowgli likes this.
  6. KiM3Ce

KiM3Ce AK Subscriber Subscriber

"The Commitments" about a bunch of Dubliners putting together a band to play soul music. Very enjoyable.

Vinylforlife and judsonw like this.
  7. Poinzy

Poinzy Super Member

'George Washington Slept Here'. Ann Sheridan, Ann Sheridan, I think something about an old house, some more Ann Sheridan, The End.

8. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Darkest hour.
    Tho not a documentary, superb portrayal of Winston Churchill.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  9. the_nines

the_nines AK Subscriber Subscriber

Rear Window (1954)
    (James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Wendell Corey)

A wheelchair-bound photographer spies on his neighbours from his apartment window and becomes convinced one of them has committed murder. - IMDb

Classic Hitchcock!

Grace Kelly is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen (definitely top 5). :D

10. Markoneswift

Markoneswift Quartz locked n ready to rock Subscriber

The Mountain Between Us.

Idris Elba and Kate Winslet.

Pretty good, if somewhat predictable tale of two people thrown together in a life or death situation. It never really felt like they could actually die, if I'm being picky. There are plenty of other survival movies that portray the aspect of actually staying alive better than this movie did. The human story was good though and both actors were very watchable in their roles.

I'd probably go 6/10, maybe a tad more.

11. hi*ball

hi*ball Records & Coffee Subscriber

The Last Jedi (12/15)
    Rogue One (12/21)

Both movies made me want to watch The Empire Strikes Back

None of the new 'Star Wars' movies come close

Bill Ferris likes this.
  12. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors Subscriber

I watch it about once a year. Unreservedly recommended to Beethoven fans.

13. And you have to admit that Matt Groening and Co. did an excellent rendition of this
    à la The Simpsons.

the_nines likes this.
  14. Excellent pick, Bill. I've worn out my copy of this on DVD. Randolph's reaction to the price action moving against his short orange juice contracts is a big part of the reason why I don't short any sector of the market to this day. :)

Bill Ferris likes this.
  15. My oldest daughter was 17 in '15 when this was released and brought it to my attention. I'll state on record that this is one of their most underrated releases. The plot is very thorough, the digital animation is simply top notch, and why this is not up there with the Toy Story/Finding Nemo/Cars franchises I'll never know. I think I actually watched it twice.

KeninDC and hjames like this.
  16. Ditto. I watched this all the way through for the first time this past Sunday with my wife per recommendation from one of her co-workers and simply enjoyed it from beginning to end. I'm a fan of the man's comedy and simply don't know how I let this one slip past me.

17. Immediately after watching the aforementioned Elf...

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)

NLCV.jpeg

The "dysfunctional family" schema was taken over the top, as in past being actually funny, on this one. I know Chevy has legions of fans from his SNL days and his work strikes me as genuinely funny, but this one simply didn't "do it" for me. He overacted the sequence during his monumental struggle to light the Christmas lights (literally) blanketing his home, the social miscues from the extened family proved nerve racking, and the indirect manner in which he kept disrupting the household of his neighbors (one of which was "Elaine" of Seinfeld fame) simply got on my ^#*(@! nerves. Mavis Staples of The Staples Singers fame singing the lead song of the soundtrack sort of made my stomach hurt. Vaction and European Vacation engaged me. This one didn't.

18. slow_jazz

slow_jazz Lunatic Member

Watched All the Money in the World on Xmas day.

Well done..

19. Harvestor

Harvestor Active Member

20. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Well-Known Member

And she was one of the most classy Lady`s who ever existed, as well as a stunning beauty, IMHO. :thumbsup:

the_nines likes this.