What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by outlawmws, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Markoneswift

Markoneswift Quartz locked n ready to rock

The Mountain Between Us.

Idris Elba and Kate Winslet.

Pretty good, if somewhat predictable tale of two people thrown together in a life or death situation. It never really felt like they could actually die, if I'm being picky. There are plenty of other survival movies that portray the aspect of actually staying alive better than this movie did. The human story was good though and both actors were very watchable in their roles.

I'd probably go 6/10, maybe a tad more.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. hi*ball

hi*ball Records & Coffee Subscriber

The Last Jedi (12/15)
    Rogue One (12/21)

Both movies made me want to watch The Empire Strikes Back

None of the new 'Star Wars' movies come close

Bill Ferris likes this.
  3. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors Subscriber

I watch it about once a year. Unreservedly recommended to Beethoven fans.

4. And you have to admit that Matt Groening and Co. did an excellent rendition of this
    à la The Simpsons.

the_nines likes this.
  5. Excellent pick, Bill. I've worn out my copy of this on DVD. Randolph's reaction to the price action moving against his short orange juice contracts is a big part of the reason why I don't short any sector of the market to this day. :)

Bill Ferris likes this.
  6. My oldest daughter was 17 in '15 when this was released and brought it to my attention. I'll state on record that this is one of their most underrated releases. The plot is very thorough, the digital animation is simply top notch, and why this is not up there with the Toy Story/Finding Nemo/Cars franchises I'll never know. I think I actually watched it twice.

KeninDC and hjames like this.

7. Ditto. I watched this all the way through for the first time this past Sunday with my wife per recommendation from one of her co-workers and simply enjoyed it from beginning to end. I'm a fan of the man's comedy and simply don't know how I let this one slip past me.

8. Immediately after watching the aforementioned Elf...

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)

NLCV.jpeg

The "dysfunctional family" schema was taken over the top, as in past being actually funny, on this one. I know Chevy has legions of fans from his SNL days and his work strikes me as genuinely funny, but this one simply didn't "do it" for me. He overacted the sequence during his monumental struggle to light the Christmas lights (literally) blanketing his home, the social miscues from the extened family proved nerve racking, and the indirect manner in which he kept disrupting the household of his neighbors (one of which was "Elaine" of Seinfeld fame) simply got on my ^#*(@! nerves. Mavis Staples of The Staples Singers fame singing the lead song of the soundtrack sort of made my stomach hurt. Vaction and European Vacation engaged me. This one didn't.

9. slow_jazz

slow_jazz Lunatic Member

Watched All the Money in the World on Xmas day.

Well done..

10. Harvestor

Harvestor Well-Known Member

11. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

And she was one of the most classy Lady`s who ever existed, as well as a stunning beauty, IMHO. :thumbsup:

the_nines likes this.

12. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

Last night`s BR DVD selection was a very dark and Gothic styled movie : Miramax`s/Dimension Films "The Crow" (1994) starring Brandon Lee(RIP), & co-starring Ernie Hudson, Michael Wincott, running time is listed as approx. 101 minutes.
    Sad story.
    Brandon sure took care of the evil guys in the end and his spirit had closure.
    Not a widely popular movie, but I enjoyed it.

Had not slept for 24 hrs. so I didn`t make it to the special features this time.

DrTim likes this.
  13. Hyfi

Hyfi Addicted Member

A few years old, but I watched The Other Side of Heaven, true story of a Missionary sent to the islands of Tonga in the 50s. Great movie

14. KeninDC

KeninDC Speedfreak Jive Subscriber

Outlaw Josie Wales (1976). Eastwood at his peak. Great western.

Match Point (2005). Sometimes I prefer Woody Allen movies when he is not in them. This is a good one about the role of luck in life. Woody Allen revisits murder and amorality themes too.

15. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

Pixels
    Adam Sandler Kevin James Michelle Monaghan
    Ridiculous and lol funny.

Harvestor likes this.
  16. timofred

timofred I'm just a garbage man...

The Meyerowitz Stories.
    This very fine film is the first one where I didn't find Adam Sandler to be formulaic, stilted and generally suck.
    Well worth your time.

17. the_nines

the_nines AK Subscriber Subscriber

Angels & Demons (2009)
    (Tom Hanks, Ewan McGregor, Ayelet Zurer)

Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon works with a nuclear physicist to solve a murder and prevent a terrorist act against the Vatican during one of the significant events within the church. - IMDb

It was ok, I guess.

The one thing which stood out was that during the race to save the Vatican, with minutes to spare between points in the hunt, Hank's character (Robert Langdon) actually took the time to explain to the physicist what everything of significance they were looking for meant. I mean, come on man, let's cut the chit-chat and explain later.

It was rated a 6.7/10 on IMDb and rightly so.

Plus there was squat on TV.

BlindBoyGrnt likes this.
  18. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

Last night`s BR DVD selection from my collection was very enjoyable on two accounts..

1st: it was what I think a very, very good movie called: "Law Abiding Citizen" (director`s cut) rated 18(which is what their R is labeled on the jewel case), which is a 2009 UK region B release..
    Staring Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx, with couple of notable actors..
    I enjoyed the Hell out of this movie !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And the second important reason that I enjoyed it was I wanted to watch this movie, was it was given to me by my friend early spring of this year, because he didn`t notice when he ordered it from Amazon that it is a region B release and he couldn`t play the movie on his player..
    And I had purchased a neat little plug in the back of my OPPO BDP-103 multi-region adaptor about 4 years back which worked fine..
    Anyway, I now use my103 in audio only duty, elsewhere in my house, for playing a 500Gig flash drive filled with ripped WAV music for all day background listening after I purchased a OPPO UDP-203 as a 4K player upgrade.

So since this $ 40.00 multi-region adaptor" is "marketed for only the OPPO 103" and the vender wanted $100.00 for the "version" sold for the recently offered OPPO UDP-203 player and provided no pictures of the adaptor on his Epray listing, but had pictures of the 103 adaptor, I suspected they were one and the same and he was just scamming/gouging buyers.

Well, I threw the dice and decided to try connecting it to my "203" to see if it would in fact work, and it worked perfectly just the same as it had on the "103 player"..
    And I reset the player back to region A after watching the region B movie to make sure that the "103 exclusive adaptor" wasn`t going to screw with my 203 player`s default A region, and I`m happy to say it didn`t and all the region A functions properly.. :blah: = :boring:

Sorry about the "partial" thread crap ! :(
    Take care folks, OKB

KDAC likes this.
  19. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Finished watching "Its a Wonderful Life" (uncut B&W version) and some special features last night...
    and Netflix sent "Dunkirk" on Bluray, so I 'spose its next on the block, tho a friend loaned us
    "Hungarian Rhapsody: Queen Live in Budapest" on DVD, a 1986 concert that has good reviews ...
    Remastered in HiDef and 5.1, apparently ...

KDAC and Bill Ferris like this.
  20. jimfet

jimfet AK Subscriber Subscriber

Patton, on BR. One of the greatest war movies ever made. I believe Karl Malden's nose was at it's largest during the filming.