What was the last movie you watched?

I've seen some of these movies and found this commentary interesting. A British historian takes filmmakers in general and Hollywood in particular to task for excessive claims of historical accuracy:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...atest-war-movie-ever-and-the-ones-i-cant-bear

FWIW I always thought the ending of "Battle of The Bulge" was made-up but it was based on a real event.

Not from first hand accounts of people who were there. The Germans never got that close to an allied fuel dump.

Oh and rolling drums of AVGAS downhill toward a tiger tank and igniting them will not knock out a tiger tank.

Not from first hand accounts of people who were there. The Germans never got that close to an allied fuel dump.

Oh and rolling drums of AVGAS downhill toward a tiger tank and igniting them will not knock out a tiger tank.

All I can tell you is that the History Channel used to show such films and have a historian comment on their accuracy; I was surprised when one said the story was real.

I was channel surfing and I saw a Western airing that I really liked but I hadn't seen in a while. Yellow Sky (1948) directed by William Wellman with music by the legendary Alfred Newman. Starring Gregory Peck, Richard Widmark, Anne Baxter, Harry Morgan and James Barton. An enjoyable group of character actors keep things lively.

yellow-sky-movie-poster-1948-1020199971.jpg

All I can tell you is that the History Channel used to show such films and have a historian comment on their accuracy; I was surprised when one said the story was real.

The major part that bugs me about the movie is they make it look like the allies are in total disarray for all but the last 30 minutes of the movie. Yes they retreated with the German’s initial push through the allied line, but the line was reformed and held up against the German advance. Also the Germans were low on fuel and feared they might run out too soon, which is why they never attacked Bastogne from all sides simultaneously. To conserve fuel they made smaller attacks trying to break through and allies held (101st airborne mostly). The combat engineers blew every bridge (sometimes right in front of the German advance) that could have been used to break through. The movie never reveals any of this.

And even if that scenario happened, that still was not what defeated the Germans. It was a combination of the allied line solidifying, and delaying the Germans and causing their armour to run out of gas.

The Clapper
Ed Helms is just funny.
Not a Tracy Morgan fan but he was good in this.
Very good cast, I would say watch it.

Birdman of Alcatraz (1962)
Burt Lancaster, Karl Malden, Thelma Ritter

A surly convicted murderer held in permanent isolation redeems himself when he becomes a renowned bird expert. - IMDb

It's been a while since I last saw it, it was on last night. Never tire of seeing this one.

Excellent!

Nebraska (2013) Bruce Dern, Will Forte, others.

Dern's semi senile character is convinced he's won a million dollars when he gets one of those "You've won a million dollars" sweepstakes come-ons in the mail and he won't rest until he claims it, much to the dismay of his family.

It took about an hour before I really got into this one, lots of character development has to happen first, after that I really started to enjoy it. June Squibb is really funny, the scene in the Cemetery is hilarious.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nebraska (2013) Bruce Dern, Will Forte, others.

Dern's semi senile character is convinced he's won a million dollars when he gets one of those "You've won a million dollars" sweepstakes come-ons in the mail and he won't rest until he claims it, much to the dismay of his family.

It took about an hour before I really got into this one, lots of character development has to happen first, after that I really started to enjoy it. June Squibb is really funny, the scene in the Cemetery is hilarious.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I can’t wait to see it again. It’s so rich.

Took in "Paton" with George C. doing a brilliant job of acting out the infamous/famous General of WWII. Thought it might be a good choice in keeping with D Day of the past. General Paton was a really a dictator within his command, yet got the job done, where many others would have failed in these troubled times.

I think only Hannibal might have some close to this driving focussed military officer who drove his men in order to carry out his given orders, and even surpass expectations given to him. As a plus, I really liked the rivalry and utter dislike that took place between FM Montgomery and Gen Paton, which historical records show they were at odds with each other. Monty for being overly cautious, and Paton for being too aggressive.

I know the 101's were more than happy to see Gen Paton and his tanks on the horizon. These paratroopers were surrounded at the time, and in a dire situation of becoming POW's.

Paton like Churchill were bulldogs during war times, but these are the characters who best foot the bill when called upon.

The movie itself clips along at a fast pace. The Characters are believable, and the flaws in Gen Paton's personality were not played down. For the time, the specials effects were great.
The background music kinda took it away from the movie, except at the start and ending.
Scott's portrayal of Gen Paton was superb.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: thumbs up outta 5

Q

Last edited:
Hereditary - defo had some scary moments and what makes it really good I think is some fairly unconventional direction techniques. It is a bit uneven in places tho - in terms of the writing for Toni Collettes character. But some twists fairly early in the piece make it pretty good. It is a slow burner and the tension is palpable, the characters are pretty good - even if gabriel byrne is playing the usual "I dont believe you and I think you are mentally ill" husband routine. Some truly terrifying moments but I defo would not be calling this film "the new exorcist" as some hype is claiming. Some interesting stuff nonetheless - there were moments I couldnt really tell if they were meant to be OTT or not - places where you think people would be scared they were instead laughing (at the theatre) - not because it looked bad on film, but just because parts of the film were entertaining and involving I guess.

Would be gud to get others views on this film anyway.

"Eat That Question" (2016)
or, more appropriately, "the Frank Zappa Story, condensed"....
For Zappa fans, this is a "must see", for novices, it`s a great primer into the life and mind of a truly unique individual. Funny, provocative, forward-thinking, and ultimately, sad....
FZ was my first-ever music concert (1966 !), that certainly broadened my musical horizons....

A bud and I sat down for what might look to be a good Sci/Fi move called, "Annihilation".

Strangest movie ever, least it was from our POV's. Bad things started to happen to an all female group going in to a weird alien zone, but there was little, if NO plot to thicken!

We kept watching, hoping, that there'd be some connections/reasons for the things that took place, but it never happened. After, I decided to read up the reviews on this dismal production to help understand it, but even the critics/pros couldn't make much sense in the whole effort.

Thumbs up? None!:thumbsdown:

Q

Back
Top Bottom