What was the last movie you watched?

Ebre, del bressol a la batalla (Ebro, from the Cradle to the Battle). (Spain, 2016). Directed by Román Parrado. Starring Oriol Pla, Enric Auquer, Àlex Monner, Emilio Palacios, Roser Tapias, Artur Busquets, Manuel Morón, Adolfo Fernández, Alfonso Sánchez, Kimberley Tell.

One of the most realistic (i.e., politically incorrect) war films I've seen lately.

ebre_del_bressol_a_la_batalla_tv-602047661-large.jpg

I watched Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood" last night. 1967 and in black and white. Just an excellent movie that had me captivated beginning to end.

giphy.gif

This is the End.
Stupid, but amusing. Some good special effects, but I really didn't need or want to see a ten foot demon dong.

Samurai Cop

has to be seen to be believed.

There's a "fight scene" (term used incredibly loosely, along with "dialogue", "acting", "directing", "sets", "bad wigs" and "car chases") where a guy has his arm cut off. Truly spectacular D-grade stuff.

Aloha!

I've not been to an actual movie theater in a long time. Most of my movie watching is via HBO, Laserdisc, DVD, or Amazon Fire TV. I found "Atomic Blonde" with Charleze Theron quite entertaining recently. Kind of like a Female James Bond, but in the 80s about the time the Berlin Wall came down.

Today I went to see "Won't You Be My Neighbor", the Fred Rogers "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood" movie. I loved it. It's a documentary, not an acted-out movie, but that's what I liked about it. Can't post any spoilers because there is no plot. It's just a documentary of his TV show and his work to help children. The behind the scenes footage and photographs were amazing. You'd almost believe that iPhones were being used in the 60s or 70s to shoot video of the crew and cast in the studios in Pittsburgh were his show originated. And I had no idea he went to congress to lobby for money for Public Television. He had the rough and tumble Senator John Pastore admit to having goosebumps during his testimony, and he got the money.

The actual Senate hearing footage on Youtube;

images

"Two Lane Blacktop" (1971)
Cutting to the chase....for gearheads only !
The downside....minimal dialog. Ditto for the acting....
The upside....you`ll never get to see another film starring James Taylor (The Driver), Dennis Wilson (The Mechanic), and Warren Oates (GTO). And then there`s this totally bad-ass, rip-snortin` `55 Chevy with which they engage in some serious street racing.
For whatever reason (parallels my twisted youth), I still like this film !

You know that (those) are Harrison Fords 55s from Graffiti ?

http://unofficialamericangraffiti.weebly.com/the-1955-chevy.html

Arrival on Prime video. Kept my attention, but in the end disappointing with too many flashbacks and way too many of those innuendo clues.

"All The President's Men" on MSNBC. Alan Pakula was a great director. I saw it years ago but it is a classic. MSNBC sure has a lot of commercials!

A while back I saw the film "Mark Felt" about the guy who turned out to be Deep Throat. It was interesting to re-watch ATPM knowing that. The "Felt" film was second-rate.

In the theater we saw "Leave No Trace" with Ben Foster. A great performance by Thomasin McKenzie as his daughter. Recommended!

Back
Top Bottom