What was the last movie you watched?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
I heard Bob Hoskins actually suffered from hallucinations for a year afterwards. He did such a good job convincing himself he saw the animated characters during filming he couldn't shake it.
6Ryh.gif
giphy.gif

Carnival of Souls (1962)

Low budget horror movie, known for it's eerie atmosphere and organ music soundtrack. I saw it many years ago and thought maybe I was too young to understand it, but seeing it now, it still doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.

Jeff Lynn's ELO. WOW! Sure takes a LOT of folks on stage to do his music.

Thanks for the heads up on this - My wife is a huge ELO fan so I tracked down the Blueray w/2CD package of this and ordered it.
It arrived today and I surprised her with it tonight.
Played about 6 tracks from the bluray - even in a stereo mix there is a lot of good music - even a Wilbury track! More play this weekend as time allows!

Electric Light Orchestra
JEFF LYNNE`S ELO: WEMBLEY OR BUST - June 2017 Concert (Bluray w/2Cds)

Carnival of Souls (1962)

Low budget horror movie, known for it's eerie atmosphere and organ music soundtrack. I saw it many years ago and thought maybe I was too young to understand it, but seeing it now, it still doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.
I posted about this years ago. I first watched it when I was 10 years old. It frightened the crap out of me. I had trouble sleeping for about 3 days. Very much a B grade (or lower) movie but there is something about it which is original and sustains one's interest. Seems like it has become a cult movie.

The new version of IT on TV last night. It looked so nice on the 1080p LG plasma that I put in our bedroom recently, I just had to keep watching.

I've see it before and thought it was a very good rendition of the novel. Noticed at least one of the kids (Mike) from Stranger Things in the cast.

I posted about this years ago. I first watched it when I was 10 years old. It frightened the crap out of me. I had trouble sleeping for about 3 days. Very much a B grade (or lower) movie but there is something about it which is original and sustains one's interest. Seems like it has become a cult movie.
Very true. It may not be great, but it definitely held my interest. I can't say that for the majority of the modern CGI and jump scare filled crap fests.

I watched this the other night. It was a great movie. Highly recommended.

-Dave

I started watching this 30 minutes into it in my hotel the other night. The ending left me scratching my head but given the cast I’m gonna give it another shot at a later date.

I don't know why but a movie popped into my head today that I haven't given a single thought to for a long time:

Barfly
Naturally, I looked it up on the 'net which led to some more reading about Charles Bukowski. I have to be honest here. I'll admit that I totally am unable to understand the reverence or esteem porffered to figures like Bukowski and Kerouac. For that matter please include Hunter.S.Thompson. I see very little beyond writing style which would captivate anyone. They all strike me as morons who could write. I would never criticise anyone who liked them. What a person likes or dislikes is their business as far as I am concerned and I'd defend their right to like or dislike. I just find these people repulsive as people.

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

The new Blade Runner movie..
Pretty good, but man I sure missed the original Vangelis soundtrack..
Before that was the Latest Terminator movie..
Always loved the industrial soundtrack of the Terminator flicks..

I don't know why but a movie popped into my head today that I haven't given a single thought to for a long time:

Barfly
Naturally, I looked it up on the 'net which led to some more reading about Charles Bukowski. I have to be honest here. I'll admit that I totally am unable to understand the reverence or esteem porffered to figures like Bukowski and Kerouac. For that matter please include Hunter.S.Thompson. I see very little beyond writing style which would captivate anyone. They all strike me as morons who could write. I would never criticise anyone who liked them. What a person likes or dislikes is their business as far as I am concerned and I'd defend their right to like or dislike. I just find these people repulsive as people.

View attachment 1255614

I find Kerouac interesting because I find the Beat Generation interesting. As for Thompson, I found his book “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” a funny read.
From what I have read of Bukowski, I find him less likable than Kerouac or Thompson, but the movie looks promising. What did you think of it?

Given that i haven't even thought about that movie in nearly 30 years, let alone seen it. I thought it was true to life in its depiction of the emptiness of alcoholism.

Barfly

View attachment 1255614
Wow - I didn't really know who Bukowski was when I saw this in the theater many years ago - I saw it because I liked Faye Dunaway,
and it was made (1987) during a period of actresses doing gritty-realistic roles with minimal makeup ...
Cher did Suspect during the same year - I "think" Ironweed with Meryl Streep was part of the same cycle.
But Barfly is a hard film to find these days - and a really odd thing to cross your mind ;)

Tell me about it. Literally out of nowhere. I was doing some reading about Sigmund Freud. Who knows what that could stir up !!

Isle of Dogs. Incredible animation, story was okay, but seriously the humans spoke japanese, the dogs English and also translated the human language. Watched at home on my HT seyup, for a blu ray from the library, so price was right.

Barfly

View attachment 1255614

Mickey's part in Barfly came up in the actors who have never, but (might) deserve to have been, @ least nominated for an Oscar in an acting category. Actually I think I brought up that his portrayal of Bukowski was excellent -- spot on in fact. Bukowski was a regular @ a couple of LA spots my uncle, a former movies transportation captain, used to frequent, @ which he became a drinking and dining buddy of Hanks. I had the good fortune to meet Bukowski, who preferred to be called "Hank" by friends, twice in the early 1990s and I assure you that Mickey's portrayal was indeed spot on, much betterthan the performance Matt Dillon would put forth several years later. Not that accurate portrayals of an obscure (and, to many, obscene) poet, story, and novel writer would or should be guarantee of an acting award nomination. Personally Bukowski, IMO, was a genius @ his craft and if you wanna great deal of delightful entertainment, hie thee to Youtube or similar and watch one of his "live" readings. They kick ass.

Ghosts of Hanley House (1968)

Obscure, no budget B&W haunted house movie. It had a passable story, but the effects weren't too great. Especially the sound effects.:no: The movie would have been better if they had just omitted most of them all together. Some of them actually sounded like they were added years later because they didn't match the overall low-fi sound of the rest of the film.:dunno:

Back
Top Bottom