What was the last movie you watched?

Searching.
Original timely well-done whodunit for the internet age.
Highly recommended !

Saw this last night - date night with 'her indoors'.

Agreed that it is a decent whodunnit with a couple of reasonable twists. I'm not usually a fan of real-world technology featuring in movies ( such as one of the cast receives an SMS message and the content gets shown on the screen like a HUD) but Searching managed to use actual technology in a realistic manner that wasnt too off putting.

Go. Johnny Go (1959 Hal Roach Studios) Another Rock & Roll movie from the 50's, but this one's a lot of fun. The plot is minimal, it was shot in five days in January of 1959, it's mostly a vehicle to showcase some popular artists of the time, it includes a scene with Ritchie Valens singing (lip syncing) Ooh My Head, less than a month before the plane crash.

It stars Alan Freed & Chuck Berry & Jimmy Clanton, Sandy Stewart and has performances by The Flamingos, The Cadillac's, Eddie Cochran, Jackie Wilson, Harvey Fuqua, it's all lip synced but the performances are really good.

The Disc has a commentary track that's quite interesting and the image quality on this release is very good.

"Rock-n-roll promoter Alan Freed holds a talent search to develop a new rock star, then must find the elusive, mystery contestant (Jimmy Clanton) who doesn't know he has won."

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

go johnny.jpg

Last edited:
Violent Saturday (1955) rented this one from Amazon Video in HD.

Shot on location in Color & Cinemascope in the small mining town of Bisbee Arizona, worth watching just for the amazing glimpse of life in 1955, but it's also a good film.

A band of robbers plan to hit the local bank, while various other little dramas play out among the locals.
The film was criticized for it's violence at the time though it's pretty tame now.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

MV5BMjIzNjc5NzQ3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTk2OTgwMzE@._V1_.jpg

I find nothing more boring than crazy rich people of any colour.

What have you got against the crazy rich people? Some of them can be quite entertaining. There is one crazy rich woman in Texas who has a nice collection of Porsche automobiles. She has a passion for Porsche. I do to, but I lack the funds for one. :D

Andy's Funhouse
(Andy Kaufman's Television Special, ABC, aired in 1979)

* Yes, not a "movie" as such but where else to put it? I don't care to start a thread for it, not that a thread re: The Career Of Andy Kaufman wouldn't invite more than a few interesting comments/insights/opinions, one suspects. Anyway, we watched this, then followed it up w/ viewing, in order:

1. Orson Welles' interview of Andy in/around 1977
2. Andy's second appearance on Letterman ca. 1979, the episode @ which Andy & Dave were joined by Andy's mom & pop and, by telephone, Andy's bubbe in Florida. The family, minus grandma, sang "Row Row Row Your Boat" together on "the sofa" positioned to the right (DL's perspective) of Letterman.
3. Andy's appearance as The Foreign Guy on The Dating Game (ABC ca. '75, a pre-Taxi airing stunt by the honchos @ ABC to get him on the air and before the public)
4. Andy's terrific turn as Elvis on Carson ca. '76.

There was a lot more but we stopped there.

Maybe we ought to have a thread devoted to discussion of ANDY KAUFMAN? There's so much "fodder" for discussion/debate, e.g., the Foreign Guy character, The Wrestling Women, the Wrestling Lawler (supposed) Broken Neck, the lightning rod called Tony Clifton, etc. Was it -- any of it -- even comedy?

Back
Top Bottom