What was the last movie you watched?

"The Bank Job" (2008) A British crime drama, starring Jason Statham as Terry, a down-on-his-luck used car lot owner, who constantly has the bookies chasing him for money.
A woman from his past approaches Terry, revealing a "foolproof" plan to rob a local bank`s safe deposit vault, and make off with millions in cash and jewelry.
Other items concealed in the vault escalate their problems to a much higher level than anticipated.
Based on a true story of a 1971 London bank robbery.

the truth about jane (2001) (Starlight Home Entertainment / Hearst Entertainment STR2317), upc 808630231722, dvd

A respectable tv movie....

A Hard Day's Night
(UA, 1964)

* The Four-Headed Monster takes on a television studio, a police department precinct office, a troublemaking senior citizen, and a lotta screaming GIRLS. A delightful romp. Gosh, I'd forgotten how "raw" those lads' Liverpudlian accents were @ those days. George in particular can, @ times, be indecipherable. And man, did John have a "high-pitched" speaking voice or what?

^^^ The lads were so young and so small. Hard to fathom the worldwide impact they'd make on not just music but also youth culture.

Bent

B grade film noir. I couldn't finish this and ejected the disc about halfway. It just wasn't interesting or compelling for my liking. I felt no connection with either the story or the characters.

1521370114_bent-2018.jpg

A Hard Day's Night
(UA, 1964)

* The Four-Headed Monster takes on a television studio, a police department precinct office, a troublemaking senior citizen, and a lotta screaming GIRLS. A delightful romp. Gosh, I'd forgotten how "raw" those lads' Liverpudlian accents were @ those days. George in particular can, @ times, be indecipherable. And man, did John have a "high-pitched" speaking voice or what?
Ringo said something witty when asked if he was a rocker or a mod. He answered “I’m a mocker”.

Having grown up in the DC area, its also an exception image of late 70s DC,
as Chance walks across DC, accompanied by Deodato!
Gotta play it every couple years just for that!

The last GREAT film by Hal Ashby ...
(Bound for Glory, Shampoo, The Last Detail, Harold and Maude).

Being There
(Lorimar, 1979)
* Exceptional work by Sellers and Melvyn Douglas, and (almost) the last performance by each.

Last edited:
The Quick and The Dead. Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone etc... Ms Stone while lovely to look at, will never be confused with any of the Grande Dames of film. She is pretty awful in this film. Hackman plays his character to the hilt and has perfected the bad guy role. The final scene, which is the final dramatic shootout actually made me laugh out loud. I don't think that was the director's intention. If you have seen this movie, you know what I am referring too. Pass.

Another favourite moment of mine is when "Basketball Jones" pops on the (one of numerous) tube.

“The Dawn” worked to perfection as he leaves the house to join the world.
The Last Detail with Jack sporting a moustache is a trip, but Randy Quaid stole the show.

I have to go see this tomorrow night. I'll check in to compare notes afterwards.
Well, never got to see A Star Is Born -- sold out. Instead we got to see Crazy Rich Asians, which has been covered amply elsewhere in this thread. I'll only add that due to the trailers I saw that painted it as another Hangover sequel with an all-Asian cast (I was expecting something more along the lines of Rich Crazy Asians), I was pleasantly surprised by a nice, fairly low-key romantic dramedy.

Last night we saw Fahrenheit 11/9. Anything I can provide in the way of in-depth criticism will likely veer into the forbidden territory of politics, so I'll just be content to say that Moore is a very gifted filmmaker and I enjoyed it and learned things I didn't know before. Of course, with Moore you have to do your fact-checking as he is occasionally willing to sacrifice absolute accuracy in the interest of making a point.

Back
Top Bottom