What was the last movie you watched?

A Star Is Born (2018 version). Great story. I never paid much attention to Lady Gaga but she was the perfect choice for this role.

I agree on all three points.

Took it (A Star Is Born) in this night with the wifey, after a fair bit of prodding on her part. And, was worth the effort.

Like you, never was much for Ga Ga's gimmicks/costumes/music, but she did well in her role. The tunes in the film were well chosen and played out in top form. Look out for Ga Ga's last song in the next Academy "Best Song" line up...and, it just might win...but going up against the heavy hitter, Disney? All bets are off!

The ending surprized me...but that's all I''ll say.:D

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: outta five

Q

Last edited:
Bohemian Rhapsody in XD with 11.1 sound. It was fantastic. I wasn’t expecting the intensity of my emotional reaction which ran from goosebumps to watery eyes.
Wife and I felt same way, Came home , and all I could find were my old 45's, which was the norm for me in those days--I was pleased at the classy way it handled the story. Wife went right out and bought new remastered
Greatest Hits I &II- I played 3 sides nice and loud, Best flick I've seen in a while...

The Return Of The King
(Jackson, 2003)

* Extended version (4h 10m of "action"). Boring? Hardly. Tolkien was a remarkable writer and jackson did a helluva job weaving this ouvre into a ~12-hour epic. If the trilogy had been 16 hours I'd have watched all of it.

P.S. Now I'm really in a fix. How to follow up ^^ that ^^ later tonight? Serpico (1973) brought me back - crashing -- to thehere & now, albeit in a late 60s-early 70s setting. Guess another "period piece of this earth" will have to do. Maybe tonight s.t. by The Mark Brothers?

Wife and I felt same way, Came home , and all I could find were my old 45's, which was the norm for me in those days--I was pleased at the classy way it handled the story. Wife went right out and bought new remastered
Greatest Hits I &II- I played 3 sides nice and loud, Best flick I've seen in a while...
We came home and played News of the World and A Night at the Opera. Hope to listen to Jazz and Live Killer today.

31850216258_4e12c72915_o.jpg

Legends of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis

The Golden Horns: Trumpet – Chris Botti, Clark Terry, Roy Hargrove
The Jazz Singers: Vocals – Al Jarreau, Kurt Elling
Contemporary Jazz: Bass Guitar – Marcus Miller, Guitar – Lee Ritenour, Keyboards – George Duke
The Altos: Alto Saxophone – David Sanborn, Phil Woods

2006 LRSmedia (DVD: Disc 1) 90006INST

My CD/LP/TAPE Collection

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers
(Siegal, 1956)

* A classic piece of (semi) schlock American Sci-Fi cinema and an early work by the man who would go on to become "Eastwood's Director" re: the Dirty Harry series and The Beguiled, among other films.

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers
(Siegal, 1956)

* A classic piece of (semi) schlock American Sci-Fi cinema and an early work by the man who would go on to become "Eastwood's Director" re: the Dirty Harry series and The Beguiled, among other films.

The 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers was the product of the collision of several influences creeping into the public imagination in that era – ‘Red Menace’ paranoia, the fear of loss of self in a suffocating conformist society and the growing awareness that the Earth was not all there was. That last came about from such sources as Willy Ley’s surprisingly popular book The Conquest of Space, the fantastic images coming from the new 200-inch Hale telescope on Mt. Palomar and the increasing news coverage of the rocket shoots at White Sands. A tale of alien forces from the mysterious beyond that will steal your very self, embedded in the black and white (but mostly dark) claustrophobic milieu of a small town where it can all be oh so personal and immediate – this resonated strongly with the mental and emotional atmosphere of mid-1950s America. It is hard for someone today to appreciate the feeling imparted by that movie when it first came out.

Last edited:
The 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers was the product of the collision of several influences creeping into the public imagination in that era – ‘Red Menace’ paranoia, the fear of loss of self in a suffocating conformist society and the growing awareness that the Earth was not all there was. That last came about from such sources as Willy Ley’s surprisingly popular book The Conquest of Space, the fantastic images coming from the new 200-inch Hale telescope on Mt. Palomar and the increasing news coverage of the rocket shoots at White Sands. A tale of alien forces from the mysterious beyond that will steal your very self, embedded in the black and white (but mostly dark) claustrophobic milieu of a small town where it can all be oh so personal and immediate – this resonated strongly with the mental and emotional atmosphere of mid-1950s America. It is hard for someone today to appreciate the feeling imparted by that movie when it first came out.

All of that "Cold War" element was quite clear, I am after all a student of the era. Perhaps "schlock" was a bit of a strong term in this instance. It did sorta run outta steam in a hurry @ the end, but overall I rather enjoyed it. This of course is @ least the third time I've seen it, starting in boyhood @ The 60s, again in the 80s, and again yesterday. It's a keeper.

All of that "Cold War" element was quite clear, I am after all a student of the era. Perhaps "schlock" was a bit of a strong term in this instance. It did sorta run outta steam in a hurry @ the end, but overall I rather enjoyed it. This of course is @ least the third time I've seen it, starting in boyhood @ The 60s, again in the 80s, and again yesterday. It's a keeper.

The original concept of the movie did not have the police station scenes at the beginning and end (and the deus ex machina 'happy' ending) or the dumb voice over that ruins the brilliant slow plot development. It was intended to begin with Kevin McCarthy coming back from his trip with all those patients wanting to see him and then canceling out, and ending with him shouting “You’re next! You’re next!” at the audience. But the concept of a science fiction film noir where the bad guys win was something the studio suits could not wrap their so-called ‘minds’ around and thus the unwelcome add-ons.

I was 14 when I saw this movie on its first release. Thinking back, I can see another aspect of it that would have an impact on a teen audience, a substantial chunk of the movie goers back then. In that era of Increasing consciousness of sexuality and increasing suppression of same, the idea of your body being taken over by something alien without being responsible for consequences was both repulsive and secretly alluring. In other words, in that repressive environment it was sexually charged in a subliminal, sneak into the back of your brain, way. In a few years, the new wave of vampire and other horror films would bring this feeling out into the open.

I have all the extended versions and watch them in chunks now and then. Pretty true to the books, but the last Hobbit made changes for no good reason that changed the true events from the book.
Trivia - Did you know that the answer to What movie contains the most deaths? is The Return of the King

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Body Count
Directed by Peter Jackson

Humans and Orcs killed in entire film: 836

Animals killed in entire film: 166
You didn't include hobbitses
5621-gollum.220w.tn.jpg

Huge fan of the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake. This one really hits hard with the 70s paranoia themes (see also, Parallax View, Three Days of the Condor, Marathon Man).

iu

The 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers was excellent. Moving the story from a small town to the Big City made it fresh while keeping all the important elements. The bigger budget allowed a more elaborate telling. The intelligent script and and the very professional cast made it scarily believable. I loved the little touches - Leonard Nimoy as an emotionless alien :), the substitution for the dog getting hit by a car with the shocking banjo man/dog and of course Veronica Cartwright's patented hysterically scared face.

Oh, and the bad guys do win.

"Jackie Brown" (1997) Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Forster, Robert De Niro, Bridget Fonda, Michael Keaton, Chris Tucker all contribute to (IMHO) one of Tarantino`s best films.

Jackie (Grier) is an airline hostess who is smuggling money for her gun-dealing boss (Jackson), and when she gets arrested by a detective (Keaton), a local bail bondsman (Forster) takes an interest in her, devising a plan to take the heat off of her, and flip it onto her boss. Well-scripted and acted, with a cool soundtrack to boot. Two snaps up !

The 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers was excellent. Moving the story from a small town to the Big City made it fresh while keeping all the important elements. The bigger budget allowed a more elaborate telling. The intelligent script and and the very professional cast made it scarily believable. I loved the little touches - Leonard Nimoy as an emotionless alien :), the substitution for the dog getting hit by a car with the shocking banjo man/dog and of course Veronica Cartwright's patented hysterically scared face.

Oh, and the bad guys do win.

I've never seen the '78 version, but from your descriptions (ie, including @KeninDC), I need to find and view a copy. Thanks for the reviews and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom