What was the last movie you watched?

The Cheat (1931)

Pre-Code film about a Woman (Tallulah Bankhead Dahling!) who finds herself in desperate need of 10,000 (depression era) dollars to pay off a gambling debt.
Things go from bad to worse and she agrees to trade "favors' for cash. Plot twists include a gun and a branding iron.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That sounds like a keeper.

IO on Netflix. I want my 90 minutes back. Well played Netflix, removing the reviews so I don't get any warning that it is bad.

Last edited:
Watched Dazed and Confused (1993) again. I've got the Criterion Collection version. Great visuals and stunning sound. My son recently discovered the flick and asked "was that what it was like?" even though I went to high school in the 80s. I answered, "sorta."

Matthew McConaughey got what was supposed to be a bit part with just a few lines after drinking at a bar for over 4 hours with the casting director, Don Phillips. Phillips also did casting for Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

200px-Air_America_%28film%29.jpg

We spent the weekend in New York and hit the IFC Center, Angelika Film Center, and Film Forum every day. There are lots of good movies being made, but they don't get screened outside big metropolitan areas.

Roma (2018) - Set in 1970 Mexico City (Roma is a neighborhood there). Cleo is an indigenous housekeeper to a wealthy family. Her life is falling apart at the same time her host family is disintegrating. I'm not sure what the message is, but it's shot in gorgeous back and white and water plays a big part.

Stan & Ollie (2018) - Docudrama. I think it's currently in fairly wide release. No longer A-list stars, Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy try to resurrect their careers in 1953 by going on a European tour. A different take on the buddy movie. I really liked it. Great performances by Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly. Coogan's Laurel is uncanny.

American Graffiti (1973) - Back on the big screen! This classic was a lot of fun to see again. Young Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfus, and Harrison Ford, plus Wolfman Jack playing himself. And a pretty nice soundtrack and some pretty sweet cars.

"Stand Up Guys" (2012)
Stars Al Pacino, Christopher Walken, Alan Arkin, and the guy who played Hector Salamanca in "Breaking Bad"

Comedy-drama about 3 old friends, all aging gangsters, who decide to pull one last job. Good stuff, well worth watching !

The Maltese Falcon (1941) Watched on the Warner Bros Blu ray, the picture and sound were excellent.
The disc has a lot of extras, including 'Warner Night at the Movies" which is a short subject, a newsreel and a couple cartoons so you can experience it like it was shown in 1941.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mf.jpg

Friday, we went and saw "Mary Poppins Returns", a sweet, almost saccharine, colorful, old fashioned musical with great production numbers that left you feeling good, happy, and optimistic.

Yesterday, we saw "Escape Room"

Boy, talk about two diametrically opposed movies... :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom