What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by outlawmws, Feb 18, 2007.

1. hjames

hjames ... winter is HERE - time for Cake! Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Watching some pre-Oscar coverage on TV with a Spike Lee interview and Emma mentioned she's never seen "Do The Right Thing" (1989), tho she's heard a lot about it. I saw in a theatre when it was first run. Its def a slice.
    So i took a look and ordered it via Amazon and we watched that yesterday afternoon.
    My gosh, I remembered some of the folks in the film - but I'd completely forgotten obnoxious Martin Lawrence and a host of others (Samuel L Jackson) ... She said she expected ... more.
    She hasn't seen a lot of Spike's work ...

DotheRightThing_.jpg

guiller and Imprecise like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. NeedForSpeed

NeedForSpeed Living In The Past Subscriber

Hurtlocker

Mowgli likes this.
  3. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

"Polar", a Netflix original.

Loved it.

Kinda like John Wick on steroids versus a bodacious James Bond villain and the three stooges with gratuitous sex.

How can you go wrong?.

4. invaderzim

invaderzim AK Subscriber Subscriber

First Man
    It was nice having a more human angle on the moon landing and there were moments that were really intense but overall I could see why it wasn't huge when it came out as it was far more quiet and thoughtful in other parts. It portrayed Armstrong as almost antisocial by focusing a lot of the movie on his inner turmoil. The human angle and the rawness of the launch and space sequences made the achievement that much more impressive to me though. There were moments that even though I knew the outcome I noticed I was holding my breath.

elcoholic likes this.
  5. elcoholic

elcoholic Jet Fuel Genius Subscriber

The Experimenter, Netflix
    Very good. Really makes you think.

6. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

I could not find it on Netflix.

7. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

Marty
    Ernest Borgnine
    Award winning director and actor but kind of weird.

TRwexx and Imprecise like this.
  8. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Addicted Member

"American Made" (2017) Tom Cruise, Jesse Plemons, Domhnall Gleeson, Susan Wright

A (sort of) true story (more or less), about the exploits of Barry Seal (Cruise), a run-of-the-mill commercial pilot for TWA, who one fine day in 1979, runs into a rather clandestine young gent who recruits Barry into the CIA. He is given a very fast and maneuverable twin-engine plane, and is sent off on missions all around Central and South America, as basically a bag man for the CIA. He soon becomes known around all "the right circles" in these banana republics, and is soon offered a "side job" flying big bundles of coke for the Columbian cartel. After hearing the going rate for his services ($2 grand per kilo), he accepts, and is soon swimming in money, and carrying suitcases full of it to his local bank.
    When the CIA gets the idea to start arming the Contras, they also have Barry flying guns, which he is soon diverting half of to his Columbian connections.
    But, as they say, "All good things must come to an end", and the shit does hit the proverbial fan when various agencies start closing in on Barry, investigating little things, like why his local bank in the middle of Arkansas is all of a sudden holding more cash than any bank in the southern US.
    While sort of predictable, the film actually does hold your interest, and is quite entertaining.

invaderzim, elcoholic and Bruins like this.
  9. teal'c

teal'c Moomber Subscriber

[​IMG]
    Not bad.

10. elcoholic

elcoholic Jet Fuel Genius Subscriber

Oops it’s on HULU.

11. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

The Twelve Chairs
    (Brooks, 1970)

Imprecise likes this.

12. jimfet

jimfet AK Subscriber Subscriber

Watched, Casablanca last night on TCM. I agree with what the critics have been saying for decades. Almost the perfect movie. All the actors where matched with their characters perfectly. Full of great one liners, that we still use today. Such as the last one in the movie, when Bogie say's. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Eric H, TRwexx, guiller and 2 others like this.
  13. c.coyle

c.coyle Fighting the Dunning-Kruger effect. Subscriber

2019 Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts, Cold War.

We double featured last Sunday.

Shorts are always fun. A few serious, a few funny. Animal Behavior, a Canadian comedy, was the best.

Cold War is a grimy love story set in post-war Poland, between 1949 and 1964. The Communist Party conscripts musicians to musically promote the great peoples’ democratic revolution. Some good music, including Clifford Brown playing Cherokee. Polish with English subtitles. Shot in black and white, making post-war Eastern Europe seem as depressing as it must have been.

I think black and white must be the new vinyl.

14. ducati_EL34

ducati_EL34 Addicted Member

Cold Comfort Farm. Good movie with a good story. I also liked the biplane at the end.

15. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

The Shining - again - Jack just as terrifying as ever if it's been long enough between viewings.

Bruins, guiller and Imprecise like this.
  16. Imprecise

Imprecise Super Member

While it is a good scary movie, it also pisses me off. It in the book, Halloran comes back by virtue of the telepathic link with Danny and saves the day. In the 1980 movie he comes back ... and gets killed! 'The Shining', the title of the movie, is the name they used for that telepathic talent. Christine pisses me off as well, with little references to the book that lead nowhere but contradict the book.

17. KiM3Ce

KiM3Ce AK Subscriber Subscriber

Imprecise, let's avoid the spoilers please! I, for one, have yet to see "The Shining." Thanks!

18. Imprecise

Imprecise Super Member

Oops sorry! The Shining is definitely worth watching.and the thing I brought up is really negligible compared to the movie as a whole. Nicholson and Duvall do a great job of reacting to each other in the midst of the slowly creeping madness.

guiller likes this.
  19. teal'c

teal'c Moomber Subscriber

:rflmao:
    It's 40 years old.
    I can't even find anyone recommending a spoiler alert for a year, much less four DECADES.

For major movie releases, everything after the first half hour should be clearly marked with a SPOILER ALERT until two Mondays after their release. That gives moviegoers two weekends to see the films. For movies which initially open in limited release, the rules are slightly different — after all, not everyone lives in a city with an arthouse theater. I’d argue that such films should get a one-month grace period from their opening — although you could also argue that any talk about small movies could help those small movies be seen by more people.

there's a more generally-accepted standard that while a film is still showing in cinemas, it's gauche to discuss anything that might be considered an enjoyment-ruining twist or plot development.

Talk about reality shows and sports without spoiler warnings instantly, scripted television within a day or two, movies within a week, and with several weeks of leeway for a full season of a streaming show.

noogies likes this.
  20. KiM3Ce

KiM3Ce AK Subscriber Subscriber

I didn't mean to offend anyone! The phrase "Spoiler Alert" near the top is quite sufficient.

I didn't know there were rules! Thanks for bringing them to my attention, teal'c.

In today's world, we may need new rules! Among the movies that were new to me last year was "Trouble In Paradise" from 1932.