What was the last movie you watched?

A Star is Born (1937 version on Blu ray) A young Woman goes to Hollywood with dreams of becoming a Star.
This has been remade so many times we all know how it ends. This was shot in Technicolor, though the print is so faded it required turning up the color a bit.
William Wellman directed, Selznick Produced. The "film within a film" almost seems like a nod to GWTW.

Thunder Road (1958) Starring Robert Mitchum, and featuring his real life Son playing his kid brother. It also features Keely Smith, who's a bit stiff when she's not singing, this was her first movie however.

They wrecked a lot of 57 Fords in this.

Yeah, I HATED Gravity and tho I've heard great PRESS over ROMA - I'm hesitant
- there are so many OTHER good movies in line before it!

p.s. - tho I was impressed by Children of Men enough to buy it on bluray ...
still thought Gravity was a waste ... indulgent, ...ugh.

I saw Gravity and Roma; they are utterly different, each brilliant in their own way. I enjoyed Gravity and my wife did not; I admired Roma more than I enjoyed it but my wife loved it. If you have Netflix you can see Roma now so you have nothing to lose. You will know within 30 minutes whether it is for you... Good luck!

42nd Street
(Bacon/Berkeley, 1933)

Thanks buddy, now I have Ruby Keeler and the title song running through my head.

“Little nifties, from the 50s,
innocent and sweet,
Sexy ladies, from the 80s,
who are indiscreet...

Good thing I have the song on Itunes.

Thunder Road (1958) Starring Robert Mitchum, and featuring his real life Son playing his kid brother. It also features Keely Smith, who's a bit stiff when she's not singing, this was her first movie however.

They wrecked a lot of 57 Fords in this.
"The Devil got the moonshine, and the mountain boy that night !"
A Classic !

Thanks buddy, now I have Ruby Keeler and the title song running through my head.

innocent and sweet,
who are indiscreet...

Great number, innit? And Ruby's 'tappin' - up there w/the best.

Footlight Parade
(Bacon/Berkeley, 1933)

* Jimmy Cagney and Ruby Keeler tappin' and "Waterfall", one of Busby's greatest choreographed kaleidoscopic scenes, staged in/around a standing pool and flowing fountains of water.

The Astounding She Monster (1957). grade Z schlock from American International Pictures, found on Amazon Prime.

Hoodlums kidnap an heiress, then head for the mountains where they encounter a buxom, glowing alien whose touch is deadly.

Terrible, but still enjoyable in a MST3K sort of way.

The poster however is incredible!

MV5BZDMyNWU1MzEtZDU2OC00YzBmLTk5M2EtMWU0MjBlNzRjNzMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_.jpg

Footlight Parade
(Bacon/Berkeley, 1933)

* Jimmy Cagney and Ruby Keeler tappin' and "Waterfall", one of Busby's greatest choreographed kaleidoscopic scenes, staged in/around a standing pool and flowing fountains of water.

You’re on a roll.

The Astounding She Monster (1957). grade Z schlock from American International Pictures, found on Amazon Prime.

Hoodlums kidnap an heiress, then head for the mountains where they encounter a buxom, glowing alien whose touch is deadly.

Terrible, but still enjoyable in a MST3K sort of way.

The poster however is incredible!

MV5BZDMyNWU1MzEtZDU2OC00YzBmLTk5M2EtMWU0MjBlNzRjNzMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_.jpg

How was Whit Bissell not cast for this film? lol

innocent and sweet,
who are indiscreet...

My "earwig" from this series of Berkely films alternates b/w "I Only Have Eyes For You" and "Pettin' In The Park", both in GD of '33. The number "Dames" from the film Dames comes close...

Hail, Caesar
(Coen, 2016)

* Decided to take a (brief) break from those wonderfully entertaining and thought-provoking American Depression-era, "pre-Code" films, but I'll be back at 'em tonight.

Back
Top Bottom