What was your AKFest 2006 audio moment??

Discussion in 'AK Fest 2006' started by Andyman, Apr 23, 2006.

1. hpsenicka

hpsenicka Moderator Subscriber

I'm very sorry I missed that parlor trick.

My personal views on this are fairly consistent with Billfort.

I can understand and would expect to experience benefits from good mechanical/electrical connections, good materials, construction quality, sheilding, etc., but I have difficulty with the notion that you need to spend mega-bucks to realize those benefits.

I remain on the skeptical side of the fence for now...

Last edited: May 7, 2006

Please register to disable this ad.

2. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Aggie! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

Henry, for all the money on that rack (Stingray, Lector CDP, hell, the rack itself!), the Soundstring retails for $40. It was NOT a subtle change. Look for a review thread, coming soon.

But that is a thread hijack; back to the topic. Last year I trooped an LP into every room that had a TT set up. I learned a lot about what I liked and didn't like. This year, I made a point of listening to every system, on the selected demos, figuring that this is what the owner believes shows off his system at its best. That was an incredible experience, as my preferences are becoming more defined. I enjoyed meeting with so many people, and exchanging ideas about many topics, both audio- and non-audio-related. I renewed old friendships, made new ones, and put faces to names that, till the Fest, were only nicknames on my monitor.

The moment for me, though, was the incredible feeling when Tim presented the Member of the Year awards, to Glenn and me. I just about burst, to be included in the same company with AK's legendary technical guru. I had composed a few words of thanks, and thought I was prepared to deliver them, when the time came. Anyone who knows me at all, knows that I am seldom 'tongue-tied'. (I offer this post in evidence.) When I turned to face you, my friends, I could barely choke out a few meagre words of thanks. That wellspring of emotion will forever be MY Fest '06 moment, audio or otherwise.

Thank you all, for your every contribution to this community. You make AK the place that it is.

3. Reel 2 Reel

Reel 2 Reel Mad Dog Junkie

I thought we did a pretty good job of that this year Brian...

I reely enjoyed the late nite conversations I had with you, Ernie, Paul and Ray.. There were some interesting..and informative ...er...stuff we chatted about!.... :smoke:

We'll have to do it again!...:thmbsp:

4. Kegger

Kegger R.I.P. 1/12/1966 - 6/1/2017 Super Mod Subscriber

I'm not one for politics discussion or educated banter for that matter but that friday night with you
    guy's (what I can remember of it) was a truly wonderful experience, definatly one of my highlights! :smoke:

5. Kegger

Kegger R.I.P. 1/12/1966 - 6/1/2017 Super Mod Subscriber

I'm not one for politics discussion or educated banter for that matter but that friday night with you
    guy's (what I can remember of it) was a truly wonderful experience, definatly one of my highlights!

Sorry for posting twice, but felt this needed to be said in response to both posts. :thmbsp:

6. jcmjrt

jcmjrt Addicted Member

I had a great time listening to all the different systems and meeting so many of the people that come here. I loved the Mcintosh XRT28s (but can only lust from afar with a $19,000 price tag), but found that most of the new speakers left me loving the vintage ones. This whole thread really reinforces for me how individual musical sound tastes are. A couple of the systems that I thought were definitely the worst have been mentioned here as favorites and a couple that were my favorites have also been mentioned. There's quite a range. Sorry that I missed the St James Infirmary. I'll make sure to catch it next time.

7. kfa888

kfa888 Addicted Member

Nice Retro. Looks like that was pointed squarely at me. Heard through the grape vine that it was much worse before editing. Not sure why you have issue with people having honest opinions, this only got escalated when you question the validity of the shootout and condition of the speakers which we told you over and over the situation. Not about to sugar coat anything as that would simply be an injustice to AK and simply a waste of space.

If you like them, great, many other do as well. If I don't that should be fine as well. I like Maggies, if you hated them I would not care a bit as that's your opinion. That's why there are more than one model of speaker.

8. PakProtector

PakProtector AK member

Hey-Hey!!!,
    The even funnier thing to me is that I enjoyed the 60's Squidward brought very much. I do wish I could have borowed a pair of 100's for comparison. We had the 60's in play when John came by. He still smiled at our presentation, and spoke well of the room in his write-up.

While I like my old horns, the Pioneers did very well, and took up a lot less space. When I have enough power, Maggies are next( or at least in the que ).
    cheers,
    Douglas

9. BrianB

BrianB AK Vendor Emeritus Moderator

Hi Bill,

Truth be told, you were NOT one of the skeptics I had in mind when I posted this. Yes, I remember you sitting through and being impressed by one of these demonstrations, but our first group of "subjects" contained two skeptics who were initially VERY vocal about how irrelevant power cords are. Not surprisingly (to me, at least), both of them were absolutely stunned by the demonstration, and one of them was still (literally!) shaking his head when he left the room.

Cheers,
    Brian

10. bigmacc

bigmacc AK Subscriber Subscriber

My Special Moments

In no particular order or logic l have listed below some of the highlites for me.

1. Got to hug Nancy and Steph (Mrs Grumpy, Mrs Kamakiri). I joke about it but the truth is l am constantly amazed, appreciative, thankful, look you pick the words about what these ladies contribute to the successful running of the Fest.

2. Meeting all the different members too many to mention and l would forget so many but damn we have a diverse family and the interaction is amazing.

3. The music and gear three brief examples of what l mean. I was never a fan of the group Boston nothing against them just not that really interested. By accident got to listen on Retro and Army's Pioneer Spec, Infinity and Vanallsteen system and realize that group did put out some excellent music. My point l really get it now how great any well produce music can sound on a quality vintage system.

There as a moment in NOSValves room when (and l do not recall the name of the selection) when the music on Craig's system stunned me it was so perfect. I cannot explain it but sometimes, something happens on a tube system (which l do not owe) that is almost magical.

Ernie (Luvvinvinly) introduce me to some new music (much appreciated) of which l purchased at the Fest and on Amazon for my wife Linda. Never would be exposed to it if not for AK Fest. Getting to briefly know Ernie not to embarass him but not surprise he was honoured this year. Speaking of which Punker X who was so gracious to repeatly play Box of Frogs which l bought off E-bay that Sunday night as so as l got home.

4. Telling Craig NOSValues that l posted on the site that l caught him in Punker X's room listening in a state of rapture to Punker's Solid State system. My wife thinks Craig and l (mainly me) are like big kids. Hopefully she is right and we never change.

Grumpy, well getting Grumpy about drinking around his stereo stuff then l inviting him the next night to a drinking party in the same room.

5. The swap rooms oh my God so much stuff that l wanted to take home did end up with a lot of records and also took home a Yamaha Cr-2020 and a pair of DQ-10's.

6. So many systems that l didn't get to listen to and some l did. Wish l could win the lottery the big McIntosh stuff would have a home alone with NOSValues limited production mono 100 watt aside BIGMACC amps. Heh give me the money l will hire Craig to make them.

Time to get ready for work Take care Mac

Oh one more thing "I GOT THE DEALS " l needed to yell that out one more time.

11. gonzp

gonzp Klipschophile

Brian, I am not a skeptic but, I am wondering if the wall power was dirty? Did you take a reading on the outlet? I know in Craig's room Friday night, the voltage was a little low. I do not know what it was Saturday and Sunday when all of the systems were running. Just inquiring... PDG

12. NOSValves

NOSValves AK Subscriber Subscriber

That Hotel would be the perfect environment for the Pro power cord demonstration it has the absolute dirtiest, unstable AC I have ever experienced. I accomplished clean power in my room with the use of step up isolation transformers. A few $50 Isotaps take care of the problem just fine. When your starving a system designed for 117V to 125VAC with 105VAC on the wall the power cord could indeed make some difference I guess? Electricity always follows the path of least resistance. Try the test at a normal electrical enviorment (most peoples homes) where 50 audio systems are not competing for the available juice and I think the skeptics would leave with there skepticism intact :banana: Pull the fuse out of that Manley and lay it beside the garden hose ;).

Craig

13. Jim Eck

Jim Eck Chicks dig the Mule

I also need to thank Luvvinvinyl, I stopped in Army and Retro's room late Saturday night and heard Saffire, thank you Ernie, I have since picked up 3 of their CD's and one album on vinyl. without having come to the Fest and stopping in I never would have heard them.

Thank you!

Jim

14. luvvinvinyl

It's ALWAYS about the music, no matter what the specific topic.

Glad you like Saffire. It was my pleasure. Can you post the titles of what you got, as I am trying to back-fill my catalogue? Thanks

15. luvvinvinyl

bigmacc, you are too kind. Linda liked my choices? I'm pleased, and a little relieved. It was good to spend time with you and your lovely wife, this year.

16. Jim Eck

On CD:
    Deluxe Edition
    Live & Uppity
    Old, New, Borrowed & Blue
    The Uppity Blues Women

On Vinyl:
    Hot Flash

Jim

17. luvvinvinyl

Thanks, Jim.

18. Jim Eck

You are welcome Sir.

Jim

19. BrianB

Hello again!

I responded to your show comments earlier, but never specifically to your impressions of the Almarro speakers. So here goes:

As many folks here know by now, I am a big fan of Almarro. And while their affordable tube amps seem to get all the press, I think that their speaker designs are brilliant as well. In fact, I have been quite impressed with almost all of the speakers Almarro has introduced during the past few years.

That being said, I think that the M3A speakers you're referring to in your comments are quite possibly the first "masterpiece" speakers from this company! I've been listening to them steadily in my little shop ever since the show, and I've got to say that you'd be hard pressed to find a better speaker for the money - regardless of the type of amp you're using - for moderate-sized listening rooms. Truly extraordinary!

[​IMG]

20. BrianB

If ONLY this could have been dismissed as a mere "parlor trick," but the situation was pretty well controlled, and nothing was hidden from the listeners... :D