What was your first method of listening to music?

My first experience was with a GE tabletop AM radio my parents put in my bedroom when I was about 5 years old (1971) to help me get to sleep at night. It was tuned to WLS 890 in Chicago and I remember listening to classic rock bands such as Led Zeppelin, Yes, Fleetwood Mac and many others. I was too young at the time to actually know who these artists were, but as I grew up and started listening to music of my choice, I realized that my earlier experience with those AM radio nights definitely shaped my taste in music that remains with me today.

Thanks to my Dad's work we had all manner of radios and phonographs, with that MW Airline brand on them, scattered around the house. I believe every room had at least one table radio.

Strangely enough the first radio I actually had as my own was one of those Zenith AM hand held portables, was in the mid 1960's. I eventually dismantled it and learned quite a bit about how a radio works.

Mark Gosdin

my grandmother's console. I don't remember the brand but i played the 45 records " robin hood", " davy crockett " and " let the sunshine in" over and over and over again.

I'm guessing here .. if memory services me well. I think it was one of those vintage Panasonic shoebox cassette tape recorders. I use to record audio from TV (Archies & Monkees) & radio … followed by a GE Wildcat Record Player (in my teens).

Last edited:
My parent’s console.

I have no idea what it was, but that’s what I used to play the first record I bought, Three Dog Night - Naturally.

Wow that far back? I'd say a fisher price little music box that had a nursery rhyme. I can remember my first radio, and it was a hand held transistor radio I won from a candy sale in the first grade. I used to play it at night...I remember listening to Stevie Wonder's new hit Higher Ground. Most times though my early music experiences were played on my mother's Philco upright console. I had a lot of memories on this unit.

I also remember wanting my own record player, but my parents were reluctant to get one for me at that time. I finally received my first hi fi turntable when I was 14 (Garrard GT-15), which I still have to this day.

The first thing I ever listened to was probably my mom playing her upright piano that sat in the living room. After that my very own Philco PT-2 AM radio that I had in my room once I was old enough (around 7 or 8). There was a duplicate sitting on top of the fridge in the kitchen that mom liked to listen to while cooking and dad listened to hear the news every night while eating dinner.

pt-2+001.JPG

My reference system at age 10 - mostly listening to 790 WQXI "Quixie in Dixie" AM:

Zenith185.jpg

Fleetwood, and then a transistor AM radio that was green and had a military look (this was the seventies,ya know:p)

vintage-fleetwood-stereo-hi-fi-console-100-eglinton-avenue-rd_8395223.jpg

A little kiddie record player. Up until the late 90's I had a picture of myself standing next to it. Somehow it got lost which pisses me off.

As a toddler I had a choice of my parents' little boom-box, or their all-in-one turntable/tuner/cassete unit with pressboard speakers containing the same kind of drivers found in a boom-box. I knew no better until I started paying attention to speakers outside the house. I was hooked before I could read. :)

My grandparents had a Yamaha CR-620 receiver, YP-211 turntable, and Polk 10B speakers that I found intriguing as a child. I still have the CR-620 but regrettably gave away the speakers to a friend who had none, and the turntable because it wouldn't keep speed... probably an easy fix. Oh well. I didn't appreciate what I had inherited.

Last edited:
My grandparents owned a two family house, we had the upper, they had the lower. Grandpa had a nice RCA console with FM, a turntable/changer, and an external speaker box. That was the good stuff. We had nothing but I did get a Slyvania transistor radio that I loved. As a little boy I mostly listened to top 40 hit stations on AM through the ear plug.

Later we moved into our own house and we had a portable suitcase phono/stereo. I started acquiring more radios and then a portable cassette player. I started picking radios and speakers out of other peoples trash and cobbling together sound equipment out if it. Then I discovered component stereo systems and fell in love with it. Eventually my paper route money got me a stereo component kit from Olsen’s Electronics featuring a Garrard 40B, Pickering V15, a Pioneer SA 5200 integrated amp and some Olsen branded two way speakers. All for $200 bucks back in 1973. It sounded dam good at the time.

Last edited:
My parents had a box-type record player on legs in the late 50's. Magnavox maybe???
For awhile it was in my room after they got a console.

Rather frightening at the time, I had a box set of "Sir" Cyril Ritchard reading Alice in Wonderland.
Made nap-time kind of a mixed-bag.

Something similar to this. I remember sitting in the floor of my room with the record player and a few yellow Gene Autry records. This was around 1955. I am immediately taken back to that time every year when I listen to holiday music channels and they play Autry's "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer".

vintage-childs-record-player_1_37385b1d468fdfd3fab96d11c7072e5b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom