What was your first method of listening to music?

Blonde wood Admiral tube AM, shortwave, longwave radio floorstanding console. With 78/45 turntable, automatic stacking. Think was 40's vintage.
One of the 78's songs repeated "Windshield wipers, swish swish".

Music..my grandmothers caged Mockingbird "Chirp" singing her songs just for me.

Then of course there was my dads pocket radio. He almost always had one with him.
He later got a MAGNAVOX Console and played records.
He liked to show off with the supplied stereo demonstration record..now the sound only on the left!! Now on the right!!!

My first personal device was a Sears AM/FM Cassette Recorder (Mono). We used to go out late at night and lay in the yard catching far away radio stations on "The Skip" transient waves would somehow bounce off the atmosphere and find their way to my antenna.
Zappa, Clapton, Joplin, Jimmy, the airplane &c.all found me.
I would record songs right from these broadcasts to cassette tape. Sometimes the signals would get all jumbled up or not come in strong and clear.
On one particular night I recorded Derek and the Dominoes Layla The signal was weak and intermixed with another broadcast. Many of you likely remember how the newscasts back in the day would report the casualty totals from the war.
This sort of newscast was recorded over my Layla recording..and for years I thought that was how the song went. When I heard Layla sans the casualty report the song was lacking something.....

My first memory was recording 'Charlie Brown' specials from the TV to a portable tape player.

My dad was a bit of a pioneer, he owned a newspaper distributorship. He drove each route recording delivery routes to audio tape in the 1970s, and he had dozens of Radio Shack portable tape players that the delivery guys would listen to real-time as they drove. He dictated landmarks, turns, and customer preferences all along the route.

Essentially, he was creating 'scale', anyone could come along and deliver each route accurately, even on the first day if they would listen to the tape.

I took a tape player and recorded Vince Guaraldi jazz from our crappy TV. Played it over and over until the tape died. I was 8 or 9. God, I loved that music. God, I wish I realized just how amazing my dad was. God, I miss him.

panasonic_rq-2734_portable_cassette_recorder.jpg

A Phimore crystal sets, a variety of AM radios available in the early 1950s, then a nice Westinghouse germanium transistor portable. Later, whatever I drug home and got working as an AM radio, and a ca 1940 Philco radio /78 phono combo, still 1950s.

Last edited:
Live music (as an infant): My dad played in a brass band & practice was Saturday nights in a room above a pub in the next village.
Recorded music (as a very small child): My cousin and her {then boyfriend, later husband} would babysit me and play Gene Vincent and Bill Haley 78s on our mono console.
My own music (as a kid): As others, transistor radio under the bed covers. I grew up in the north of England, so listened to pop/rock from Radio Luxembourg, sometimes pirates and on very clear nights occasionally American Forces radio from Germany.

My mother and her Sweet Adelines acapella group practicing in our living room. Later a 78 record player and a record of the month club for kids - Disney stories, etc. Then Dad's console radio / turntable and finally, my very own 9v portable radio as a pre-teen.

Initially, I listened to whatever my mother and father played through their respective home and car systems, but my first personal playback device was similar to this:

E2156915-ED1F-4B8D-9799-DFE029758AF4.jpeg
:rockon:

Both photos are off of the internet, but these are the exact radio and record player I had in the late 70's as a 9-10 year-old.

Screenshot_20181013-075117_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20181013-074443_Samsung Internet.jpg

First radio I owned was Western Electric DIY crystal project. First high quality system was in `74 with a Pioneer SX-737, BIC Formula 6, PL-15 w/Shure V-15 Type III.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom