What was your first receiver?

Pioneer SX 650 bought new lasted about 20 and some yrs finally died in the mid 90's
internet image

Last edited:
MCS 3260 that I inherited from my father when I was 12 or so.

MCS326021.jpg

Not my picture. Just one I found on Google.

It was an awesome receiver. It developed a problem with the tuner's seek switch so I stored it out in the garage for a while hoping to one day fix it. When that time came the receiver was gone and my father told me he thought I didn't want it anymore so he put it in the trash. :tears:

First receiver

Didn't get my first receiver until I was in the military (got drafted in the first lottery). It was 1973 and I was stationed in Thailand. Bought a Sansui QRX6500 quad receiver along with Sansui SP-3500 front speakers and Sansui SF-2 omni-directional rear speakers. Wow! Lasted for 25 years 'till I got divorced and the ex took everything...

Yamaha CR-220,

attachment.php

purchased new in 1979 along with small utility-case Advents (the ones between the Baby and the large) and a Yamaha turntable (I think it was a YP-B4 or something similar) with an Ortofon FF 15 XL cartridge . I also had a Sharp cassette deck hooked up to the receiver. That little system was perfect for the very small apartment my then-wife and I were living in. Oh, and I had a nic pair of Koss phones which later were replaced by a birthday gift from then-wife of some Yamaha phones.

What a sweet system that was for a young music lover.

Such a humble unit. 17 wpc. But I thought it sounded and looked lovely--Yamaha pieces from that era are works of design art, in my view.

I upgraded in 1985 to the int amp that still runs my main system, my beloved Yamaha A-1020. I think I sold the receiver to help pay for the new piece, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for that first receiver. If I saw one today in working order and at the right price, I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

yamaha cr220.jpg

Last edited:
Yamaha CR-620

I think it was 1977, bought a CR-620 at Sound Associates in Bowling Green, Ohio. Also bought some massive Synergistic speakers, and a Technics DD turntable, SL-3200 (I think), with an Audio-Technica cartridge. Good times. :yes:

My first stereo system was comprised of an all-in-one unit from Sears, including turntable, tuner and cassette deck. It was one of thier house systems, not a namebrand, and it had the silver face and silver metal knobs that were so popular at the time. The tonearm also was pretty decent, being counterweighted and adjustable like better turntables. This was around 1980 when I was 15 and it was a gift from my father. He still has it and uses it and one day I'll get it back.

Jeff

My first was a Harman/Kardon 330B, along with a pair of EPI 100, and a Micro Solid-1 turntable. I did cost me a fortune then, in '74, I saved money for along time before I could buy it. I still have the Harman/Kardon and it still works perfect

A Kenwood KR-V 9020 Dolby Surround receiver and a pair of JBL L80ts. Still have both. But only the JBLs are still in service.

Bought them after I secured my first full-time job. The thinking was get a top model Kenwood and a good set of JBLs.

The Kenwood had a lot of power but had a somewhat 'sterile' SS sound, but was OK for Dolby surround in the early 90s.

cnh2

A Sansui 2000X that was purchased before leaving Vietnam.Also purchased a Teac A-1500W and a Garrard Sl-95B the same time. I can recall using cinder blocks on the carpet that supported a peice of wood to put all of the equipment on...simpler times I suppose.

A 1977 Readers Digest, yes thats Readers Digest receiver/8-track combo. Crazy thing is, if I saw one of these at a flea market today, I'd buy it !

Kenwood KR-3090.

I got it at a Washington D.C. armory sale in 1980. Also got a Pioneer CT-F500, Pioneer PL-518, and Empire 2000EIII Cart. Including tax it came to $448....Couldn't beat that price anywhere at the time.

I got it at Olsen in Detroit back in 73. It was a Fergerson FM only receiver, about 25/30 watts a channel if I remember correctly. I thought it was a good buy at the ime.

Panasonic RE-7700, around 1973, hand me down, had the automatic motorized tuning.

Attachments

• DSCN7186.jpg
    DSCN7186.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 11
I was 16 in 1982 and traded something for a marantz 2226. It was my first and only receiver I've ever had. I think I traded it for a beat up maverick. lol

Rotel RX150A

Talked my parents into buying it for me for Christmas in about 1973. Relatively low power (12ish wpc, IIRC), but sounded really good. Used it until it was destroyed in Hurricane Hugo in 1989. Found another one cheap on Ebay a few years ago and restored it. I am currently using it as a tuner in my living room setup. Really cool dial pointer that lights up for stereo and very '70s looking backlit green dial. It had to have been one of the earliest and least expensive pieces of Rotel gear.

Al

My first receiver was a Pioneer SX-780 ('78 or '79), with a Technics belt drive TT (don't remember the model), and Quadraflex speakers. I was the envy of my friends.

S.J.

Last edited:
I had a Columbia Masterworks receiver that my folks bought me when I was in high school. Used that for a long time.

While in college, I bought a used Marantz 2215 at the Schaak Electronics in Dinkytown near the University of Minnesota. Still have it, and it works great, although it could use a few new bulbs.
Columbia Masterworks model 553 was my first stereo. My mom gave it to me and I just picked one up on the bay. Really really hard to find. 27 stations off the big yagi antenna at 20 feet in the air. Calculated the wpc at 2.1 watts based upon a B+ of 16.4 volts running quasi-complementary. I did not know that there were better receivers until the salesman at Pacific stereo told me that the Masterworks 553 was a bunch of crap. Then bought a Pioneer SX737 with Quadraflex ST11 speakers complete with a BIC940 turntable with a Shure M91ED cartridge if I remember correctly. Supposedly the Pioneer SX737 was at cost at 229 bucks. I think the year was 1976!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom