What were the best sounding mass market receivers of the 90's/00's?

In the AV world, if it doesn't have the latest and greatest in connectivity and decoding tech it's basically a brick as far as resale goes.
I get that, but my bet is that $80 pre/pro paired to a $200 amp sounds better than the receivers of the same era that I’m seeing fetching $400. Throw that B&K pre/pro in stereo mode and enjoy.

I never had one but wish I did. The technics tx 50 is suppose to sound really good for music and still gets a premium for a older receiver. I like the bigger denon receivers
Also mine is still going from the early 2000s and sounds great with music.

E615986A-DD2B-476D-A3C5-A6B0B43A2653.jpeg

What a question... and watch the biases come outta the woodwork.

Your question reminds me of asking which muscle car was the best during the 60's 70's...matter of opinion, based on personal experience for the most part.

Some solid suggestions to date.

Q

Last edited:
This thread took off - cool. Had not checked it in a while. As I said I have developed the habit many of you have somewhat recently. I just bought a Denon DRA-425R receiver for $15 today. Really sounds nice, but not as refined and...perfect as the Nakamichi AV-8 I mentioned which helms my digital setup. For the vinyl setup I am using the Marantz 1060. I also tried out the Nakamichi AV-500 - it SLAMS and really sounds awesome, but I found myself missing the AV-8 which just has this pristine sound thing going I want to return to. Now I have to explain to my family (and self) why a person could possibly need 10 receivers.

For a tuner on an AVR, just attach something from the past through an input.
Currently using a silver face 1978 Phase Linear tuner on a Yamaha A-2020.
Also, had a Denon 2805 and 3805, kept the 3805 with the 2805 remote. Smart remotes seem so problematic to me. Harmony is quite good though.
And I agree on the Yamaha VSX series from 2000 to 08. Quite good. But still happy with the Luxman R-117 on the main system.

For the last twenty-five years, or so, I think there have generally been better-sounding mass-market integrated amps vs receivers. Note generally - there are always exceptions to most any blanket characterization. With many people no longer interested in AM/FM, and among them others who prefer a separate tuner, anyway, and furthermore, a lot of high-quality integrateds offered during this time, used IAs also represent good value in sound.

The RX-V995 was the benchmark by which all mass market AVRs had to be measured in 1999 in my opinion. It may not have the nth degree of fidelity by our standards, but it was powerful and dead reliable. Mine's still chugging along happily nearly 20 years later.

Cheers,
Nathan
Still have mine.....great units....only thing missing that I use is 5 channel stereo

One more AVR from my experience. I picked up a Pioneer VSX-56TXI not too long which I am really enjoying. It's got the Elite handle and the shiny Kuro look.

Denon PMA-700V pre-main amplifier
20190111_013823.jpg
Love the quality and performance of this amplifier straight from Japan. Very versatile and a lot of power not to be messed with.

This Onkyo A-SV620 from 1996 is a pretty beefy 120 wpc.I had one and sold it when I was downsizing.I missed it enough to buy another.AV amplifier.No tuner.Onkyo A-SV620.jpg

From the late 1990's to present, Yamaha, Onkyo, and Pioneer has made a whole series of 100 wpc 2-channel stereo receivers. Later ones with have modern connectivity features but I am old school so the 2000-01 Yamaha RX-777 (100 wpc) suits me just fine.

Here is my RX-777. Ideally suited for computer setup, it runs cool to the touch and is on almost 24/7.

vyiyDwT.jpg

It is well built with a decently sized transformer and dual extruded aluminum heat sinks. The amp is an early version of the TOP-ART which in upgraded form is featured in the revival integrated amps. Good stuff and dirt cheap.

kdUNNaf.jpg

Nakamichi AV-500 is a beast.... very well made unit..... look under the hood and you will be amazed! Weighs 35lbs for a reason!View attachment 1382621

A lot of talk on this thread about using AV receivers with large power supplies for listening 2 channels. I have a Nakamichi AV1 which sounds incredible with music and a Marantz SR4600 which is almost a tie when it comes to 2 channel stereo is mostly what I use. THere are so many good deals on non-HDMI AV receivers with good 2 channel stereo capabilities. However, my question is that I notice that many of the older two channel systems like the 2 channel Nakamichis (RE1, 2, 3 etc) had much smaller power supplies and lower wattage than the large AV receivers that need to drive more channels when called upon to do so. I notice both my Marantz and Nak AVRs get much hotter when playing stereo than when playing multichannels (espectially the Marantz in 7.1. The Nak is just hot all the time. I remember reading that when you use a lower proportion of the capability of an amp's power supply it ends up converting more energy to heat (less efficient). Is this true? Do you find that the AVRs get hotter when playing two channel compared to regular stereo receivers? My marantz Sr-53 sounds great in 2 channel and feels just lukewarm after playing for hours but it is rated only 40 watts.

Thanks

I have a few Pioneer Elites that sound really good.Same with the post 2000s upper end Marantz.Remote capabilities was also a big factor in moving away from vintage in most cases.
Remotes and very good sound were a major factor in me moving to the mostly black metal faced 90s Denon and early 2000s Marantz (sound awesome) . Have not tried pioneer yet

I liked the Simple NAD units I drove my M&K speakers with in small areas and in the three RV's. I would take out the factory installed Bose systems and toss them. I would demo to fellow RV owners at Home Coming rallies and factory designers to show the difference which they couldn't believe. Yes the system cost more, but the results were fantastic. I liked the soft clipping feature. the sooth sound reminded of tube stuff I had owned, The NAD stuff was easier to operate. One time they offered me a position, but I had retired by then and didn't like Oregons cold damp weather. Eugene was nice during summer and early fall. Middle June tru early September in the late nineties and early two thousands

So, mouth ego I decided to run into Second Hand and buy something like amplifier for spreaker test . I got Active speakers . In the store I saw a massive Denon AVR3808ci. I brought , it home and decided to turn it on as a pre-amp using its internal DAC. I was amazed how well this boy played music . The next day I began to compare my DAC for $2000 and Denon 3808 for $20. I don’t need internal amplifiers Denon, my acoustics are active Braun LV1020. As a result, I kept the Denon and packaged the DAC for sale.
I'm going to install modern OPAMPS on Denon 3808, thereby raising the stereo sound a step higher. Sometimes I look at reviews of AV receivers for sound, good stuff can get sleepers for cents.

Back
Top Bottom