What "World Music" are you listening to right now...and more.

Now to mellow it down a bit, easing into a Japanese mode for a bit. This tune is found on on a rather obscure audiophile pressing, called "Audio Symphony No.2." The tune is called, "Tanpopo Mau Kore" by Kouichi Sugiyama. If you ever find a copy of this LP, grab it, it is a real ear opener.

Enjoy,
Rich P

When folks are having fun in their performance, it is just so obvious. Here is a little something from Spain, called Gypsy Rhumba, performed by Jose Reyes y Manitas de Plata.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Tonight, I will close my contributions with a little something from my own culture and people. The style was started by traveling troupes of Jewish musicians, called Klezmorim, who went from town to town making a living and bringing light and joy into lives that could tend to be rather dark and exposed to various dangers.

Both of these are performed by David Orlowsky's Klezmorim, the first has a more traditional feel, while the other has been subjected to just a bit of fusion with jazz.

The first is a jumping little tune called "Freilach Ora":

The last one for me tonight is sweet little fusion number called "Noema":

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
I really like that. It seems to have a bit of Reggae flavor. What can you tell us about it? Pretend that I am sitting in the sweet spot before your main rig. What would you tell me about it?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
That is really nice. It seems to have a bit of Reggae flavor. What can you tell us about it? Pretend that I am sitting in the sweet spot before your main rig. What would you tell me about it?

Enjoy,
Rich P
Hello Rich.
I came to Bill Laswell by way of Jah Wobble via Brian Eno who made a great album, Spinner with Wobble.
All three of these artists could keep you musically endlessly entertained, imo.

For those interested in hearing more of A.R. Rahman outside of the Indian music context, the “world music supergroup” one-off “Super Heavy” might be interesting. Other members include Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Mick Jagger, and Damian Marley:

51FC17B1-9DE3-4F73-BBB2-A1D45F691DEE.jpeg

GJ

For those interested in hearing more of A.R. Rahman outside of the Indian music context, the “world music supergroup” one-off “Super Heavy” might be interesting. Other members include Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Mick Jagger, and Damian Marley:

View attachment 1396506

GJ
Wow. Those are some pretty heavy hitters. I think I'll go see if I can find some...

Enjoy,
Rich P

When I was in Germany (Ramstein AB) back in '76-'79, I heard this one on American Forces Radio. Actually, no matter where I was, I was able to hear music from all over the world, on the local radio (SWF3 in my area of Germany) or military radio stations. Europe is cool like that. I really got my music tastes broadened. In any case, here Miriam Makeba sings a South African wedding song, and she really makes the clicks that are part of her native tongue very clear and distinct.

Enjoy,
Rich P

When I was in Germany (Ramstein AB) back in '76-'79, I heard this one on American Forces Radio. Actually, no matter where I was, I was able to hear music from all over the world, on the local radio (SWF3 in my area of Germany) or military radio stations. Europe is cool like that. I really got my music tastes broadened. In any case, here Miriam Makeba sings a South African wedding song, and she really makes the clicks that are part of her native tongue very clear and distinct.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Very nice.

Thanks you for your service, btw. It seems there are more than the average amount of vets here at AK.

GJ

I lived in South Africa, and learned some basic Xhosa. But I could never do those clicks, not even close! If your tongue doesn't learn as an infant, it's impossible. My Xhosa friends tried to teach me but laughed whenever I tried — loving laughter, not mocking.

Anyone who knows about Gilles Peterson will know of his championing of "world music" for years so i think posting his weekly 6 music show here will fit this thread really well,if you take the time to look it up and listen from the link more power you and enjoy.

index.php

There's also a tracklist on the link so if you hear anything you like it's easily found.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00026vg

Back
Top Bottom