What would be the 'best' Sansui amplifier for sound quality?

Last edited:
In my opinion the best sansui amps would be the 100v japan only amps as some of them were made better and look amazing also sound good too. i also use one myself with a 110v step down, i also have a surprise sansui amp coming from overseas soon. Finding sansui amps in australia is a joke since most of them go for $600+, i recently saw on ebay a au 217 for $118!!! also the sansui au dx07x series is a great sounding series.
My amps:

...Well,for me personally the Sansui AU-X1 is now 'king'...

I'd have to agree with that. They jumped on Sanken's LAPTs and ran with the linearity.

The AU-D5/7/9 are also fantastic amps, although they are well into the decline of Sansui in terms of build quality, but they have a pure DC path from input to output, no preamp to speak of and a lovely sound and measure very well on my bench. The 65+65w AU-D5 is a sleeper IMO.

Sadly, the best came too late and the bean counters had nobbled the potential.

Hi John,

I do agree that Sansui AU D5/D7 sounds good. Got a D7 with me and i dont have heart to sell it. Although the build quality is not as good as the earlier models,there is more improvement in term of sound. May be i will just keep it for a while. :)

There is so much Sansui that just isn't out there much and I envy (a bit) those who have been able to listen to it.....and I have nice Sansui. Efforts now are the learning to fix gear (so that may have me listening to that truly rare and maxed stuff one day).

I just noticed I have crept into the top 17 - with a B-2102/C-2102 combination (owned for a while now) at Czubsi's number 16 (post #143) :D

I do understand the topic, what is the 'BEST' Sansui amp.

The best Sansui amp? Maybe it would be one you really like, for whatever reason, or own, or the one you like the sound of, but sometimes maybe you like the amp also for some other reasons - 'loudness' control, MM/MC, 'Source Direct', 'Jump'. They ALL sound pretty darn good! One big reason, maybe, would be it just sounds great and it's dependable, it always works. It does the job - All the time. It works, bullet proof. Maybe you only want a 120V vice 100V (which is a major factor for me. I just want to plug it in the wall and be done with it).

There's always better and always worse. Find a dependable Sansui amp you like, can afford, can get, and enjoy it.

For me it was the AU-X901 'Vintage'. Sounds really fine to me, fine enough... LPs & CDs. Hope this X901 lasts forever. Is there better... of course. Is there worse... for sure. It's an good amp for my needs. :thmbsp: AU-X701 - all the guys who have them like them. Nuff said. Seen a nice one on sale on eBay for $194 a few years ago!!

Same goes with speakers. Many different sounds. For me: I've always just wanted a 'lifelike - real' sound, to my ears... but the speakers have to have AlNiCo(s). That's it really. Find speakers you really enjoy... and you got it! New, old, in great shape or beat up. lol. Same with cables. Same with TTs & especially cartridges. And TT racks! lol.

Would be nice to have one of the better alphas, maybe even a MOS alpha. But that would be a JN 100V. :)

I really love the 07 sound. Like the AU-717/919. Sounds like a live concert to me. They have an amazing feeling.

Maybe you want to hear some old 78's on an HF. Hear the sound as it was back then. Like: you are there. Sounds pretty darn cool! You can get 78s all cleaned up on LP and CD. But it's not the same sound. Does it sound better... of course. But I like to hear all the old scratches personally. Put's a smile on your face and in your heart!

Maybe the 'best Sansui amp' is the one you already have.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I have posted previously that I discovered the Sansui sound many many years ago as a young fellow walking the cold streets of grey old Melbourne one winter...
The bright lights of Douglas Trading Hi Fi's Shop front beckoned and I succumbed...I entered and was immediately overwhelmed by the sight of rows upon rows of brand spanking Sansui...speakers...amplifiers...clean and gleaming...sigh...
I heard music playing and was transfixed...oh that sound...nothing like the Radio to which I was all too familiar...it was smooth...punchy...warm and authorative...loudness with heft...it immediately grabbed my attention...555A...
Like the baby gosling that breaks out of its shell and is immediately imprinted by the first presence it sees for life...thus it was for me...my ears heard my brain and heart followed...Sansui...Sansui is music...beautiful music...Sansui is Beautiful...no argument from me...ever...

Yes for me its always been the 555A...walnut case with its black face and silver knobs...my aural rosetta stone that helped to introduce me to the pleasures of music...

Wanting more of that delicious warm sound I chased Sansui through the 666...777...999...9000 models...till I arrived at the 9500...to me the bigger version of the 555A...
And I am truly besotted with the 9500's authorative warmth...the welcome heft of its Bass...the intoxicating loudness switch...smoothness of welcome volume...its sonic whack...

Agree with you there Blah Blah. I once owned a AU-6500 and from there i was hooked on that warm punchy bottom end Sansui sound that would go deeper than anything ive ever heard before so thats when i decided to get the top model the AU9500. The Gx000 series are special as well.

Being all depressed , from my dog's loss , due to stomach torsion, I can't say much here , but just to inform once again dear czubsi , that 2302's are the same with the 2301's.

Well said:

I do understand the topic, what is the 'BEST' Sansui amp.

The best Sansui amp? Maybe it would be one you really like, for whatever reason, or own, or the one you like the sound of, but sometimes maybe you like the amp also for some other reasons - 'loudness' control, MM/MC, 'Source Direct', 'Jump'. They ALL sound pretty darn good! One big reason, maybe, would be it just sounds great and it's dependable, it always works. It does the job - All the time. It works, bullet proof. .......................

Maybe the 'best Sansui amp' is the one you already have.

Enjoy!

+1 Blah Blah:
you nailed it. My mother hen was a neglected 4000 - always wondered why I live my Sansui life pre-1973.

I saw the list and its completely dominated by so called 'alphas'.

I have a friend in Russia and he confirmed the same preference.
Must be European taste for elegance and finesse.

Here in USA men want their amps to project strength and power.
"Built like a tank with powerful sound " is what real alpha male wants.

That's the American way ! (Hard admission from someone who owns and enjoys an "alpha" :sigh:)

Amps in champagne colors ? Leave it for European girlimen.

Real men own AU-X1 , the best of Sansui ! :smoke:

Qsiris, this was posted more than 2 years ago but I couldn’t resist…

- I have a friend in Russia and he confirmed the same preference. Must be European taste for elegance and finesse.

Russia ? Europe ?? :scratch2:

- Here in USA men want their amps to project strength and power. "Built like a tank with powerful sound " is what real alpha male wants.

So an alpha is built like what ?? Does it lacks in power ??

Sorry, probably you are a bass guy right ? I would suggest you to buy a subwoofer, should solve your problem. :yes:

- Amps in champagne colors ? Leave it for European girlimen .

Well, thought these alphas were intented to the japanese market only... So the same japanese that designed and produced your so called AU-X1 are girlimen as well ??? :scratch2: So have you been listen to a girlimen brand all these years ?? :scratch2:

We have lots of good European friends here… let’s show some respect.

:thmbsp:

Like the post before & before & before that.... they all sound great [emoji33]

Last edited:
Hyperion today, my list would be a little different .....
The topic was - the best Sansui !
not what I like ...

So ... Best Sansui - B2105 MOS Vintage .. then for a long long time nothing ....

Attachments

• DSC_3681.jpg
    DSC_3681.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_3690.jpg
    DSC_3690.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom