What would be the 'best' Sansui amplifier for sound quality?

That doesn't really make sense, if the later 80's and early 90's models are considered the best why do I keep hearing so much about the 9090 and G series amplifiers? .

The 9090 and most G series receivers are very common and most have heard them. The later great amps are hard to come by and I would guess most have not heard them.

I have a G-8000 and a 9090DB. They are both great, but the AU-Alpha607Extra I had was incredible. If it was not a 100 volt unit, I would still have it.

The AU-X301i is not a very good amp. It is 65 WPC, so I compared it to the AU-517 I had at the time. The AU-517 embarrassed the AU-X301i. The 301 was not made in Japan, BTW.

Rob

That doesn't really make sense, if the later 80's and early 90's models are considered the best why do I keep hearing so much about the 9090 and G series amplifiers? I also hear that they've been going downhill since the late 70's? Is it that they're technically better but less liked?
Anyway thanks for the opinions.

We use 240v in Australia which makes most imported Sansui's usable as there's often a voltage switch in the back.

I just dont think theres that many of the Alpha or MOS amplifiers around, there really were the pinnacle of Sansui's amplifier design....
I would dearly love to hear a MOS series amplifier.....

From studying the service manuals and reading the schematics, it appears that the Alpha and MOS series were born from those G22/33000 amplifier designs. The G22/33000 were the first real "fast Direct Coupled" amplifiers Sansui made, and they just kept developing the design from there...
The G-X000 /G22/33000 design set the president if you like.......

The AU-D11 was the first development of the bridged design which flowed on into the BA-2102 for example.......

Just my few cents of observations......

My fav at this point is the AU-7900 series...including the AU-5900, 6900. These amps have great sound and features.

I loves me some Sansui!!!!, my first taste was a 7000 which replaced my Pioneer SX-980 the difference was very noticeable to my ears as the Sui won hands down. It wasn't until a few year later later that I stumbled on onto my AU-717, which I paid a fair price for knowing that the seller(local audio repair guru) had restored her to her original specs, new caps etc;. It was the best money I've spent in awhile and I couldn't be happier.

Dare I say I've harbored the thought of unloading her to help defray the cost towards possibly purchasing a Luxman M-2000. Luckily I regained my senses and realized I can have the best of both worlds and utilize the 717 as a pre. I'm thinking it will be quite the combo. I'll know in a couple of week but that's for another thread and another time.

Great thread by the way as I really enjoyed reading all the suggestions, models, info on MOSFET etc; Sansui owners rock!!! literally and figuratively.

Last edited:
Although I've forgotten the model, Sansui made a family of really wretched receivers back in the late '60's - early '70's that had the output drivers (but not the output devices) on vertically mounted cards. They used to catch fire a LOT. Not just smoke but ACTUAL FLAMES. Must have had to tell a dozen people that brought them into my shop that they might best just throw it away and start over. Really soured me on Sansui until I saw my first 717.

Your post trashes the entire brand over one episode, which you recall vaguely. The problem you mention affected model 5000, 5000a, and early 5000x receivers, and no other units. See http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148007 for information on how a tech can fix them, as opposed to throwing them away.

Of course, at the time, fixing them was easier because Sansui made replacement boards available.

I just dont think theres that many of the Alpha or MOS amplifiers around, there really were the pinnacle of Sansui's amplifier design....I would dearly love to hear a MOS series amplifier.....

There are plenty alphas around...in Japan.

My Sansui's

SM320M
AU-111
AU-777
AU-222
G871DB

I love them all. ^__^

How does your SM-320M sound?

Tell us how you like it!! If you would, give us a little brief on it!! Sound, strong points, weak points, everything.

Thanks

:thmbsp:

There are plenty alphas around...in Japan.

Yes, but the OP does not live in Japan and neither do I, so for all intents and purposes, there are few Alpha's around.....
When you live in Australia or New Zealand the choices are very limited, and if you do want something specific, the cost becomes astronomical......

Someone in Canada is selling a few alphas right now.
Perhaps shipping from there is less astronomical ?
$40 to US anyway, listed as A607. I bought one.

You guys are lucky living over there, if I or the OP wanted to land one of those we would be paying more than the unit to ship it......
And I know all too well the costs as I have shipped a G9000 and a G22000 along with a couple of tuners from the USA....and yeah it will leave your wallet with nothing but a few tumbleweeds blowing in the wind....

I am particularly interested in the Alpha and MOS series.....maybe one day...

I hope you have 100 volts to run it on. It wont last long with more.

Rob

I wouldnt waste my time with step down transformers personally, I have a guy who winds transformers, its a very simple process for a competent transformer winding guy to change the primary windings....
I have had this done on several occasions with great results....

Back
Top Bottom