What's British in your system?

I wonder if I am repeating myself here.
One Mullard 5AR4 full-wave rectifier, possibly over 50 years old.
Not exactly, but in post #790, you wrote, "I just couldn't resist. A Mullard 5AR4 rectifier tube that is old as the hills and barely worn."

For myself, it was in responding to the recently-started thread entitled Branded that I realized all my current gear is American except for the Rega RP3 turntable. I do appreciate British gear, though, and ran an all-Linn system for close to 20 years.

My first ak post after reading for a long time...
I have a pair of graham ls5/9. I can't tell you happy I am with them. they'll be with me for many moons.
-Dave

A rackmount HHB 850 studio CD burner/player. I don't use it for burning anymore but it sees regular playback use.

Metrosound ST60, I bought it off eBay because it looks interesting and according to the small amount of info found online is supposed to be decent receiver. I have received all the odd speaker connectors and din signal cable ends. I'll make up some cables and see what happeneds.

I might add 'What's Kiwi in my system' - but the answer would be, well, nothing. There's a ton of stuff here made under license from Panasonic / Technics by companies like Pye, AWA etc back when NZ actually did manufacture electronics when import duties were sky high. There's a sleepy little seaside town near me which, back in the day, was the centre for domestic manufacturing under the Pye Radio brand - the factory used to employ over 400 people ! In New Zealand !

I've got a pair of Spendor A6Rs.

Just swapped in a McIntosh MA6200 integrated amp and the Spendors seem to respond much better to the American amp than to the Sony TA-1ES I had in before. Maybe its the tone controls and the loudness feature. The Sony sounded better on the Sony SS-HA1s with their supertweeter. Perhaps they were voiced together.

speakers.png Last night I picked up a pair of Arcaydis SM 35 monitors. A LS3/5A clone. They will replace the KEF LS50's I was using on my desktop system. The KEF's have been promoted to the main system on our new house. I will set them up tonight and report back

Graham speaker2.png

Attachments

• speakers.png
    speakers.png
    203.9 KB · Views: 5
I thought I would start this new form off with a discussion of what kind of British gear AKers have. I'll start:

Spendor SP-1/2e's
Target stands and rack
B&W 804S pair hooked up to a Harmon kardon stratophonic all in one system and a hidden Sony CD player. (Should I fear a SAS hit squad for debauching those speakers by hooking them up to the HK?) That's the dining room. The living room has B&W 801 series 80 hooked up to a HK citation twenty-two and the family room will have Living Voice OBX-RWs that will be hooked up to a pair of McIntosh 60's (all are still in boxes other than crossovers for speakers) - I'm just moving in here.

2 sets of speakers, all thrift store finds:

2 pairs of B&W DM303 bookshelf speakers
1 pair of Wharfedale W60E's

Back
Top Bottom