What's British in your system?

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by Bigerik, Mar 18, 2013.

1. doctor fuse

doctor fuse AK Subscriber Subscriber

My modest bedroom system is very British. NAD 3020 and Goodmans Minister speakers.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BobbyBluz

BobbyBluz Well-Known Member

A rackmount HHB 850 CD burner.

3. boza

boza Super Member

Thank's. There the mk2 1981.

aqaba likes this.
  4. Andy Tovar

Andy Tovar New Member

Started with Cambridge integrated and CD player. Since moved on to Exposure 2010S amp and now LFD LE V+ and Rega RP6 turntable.

red 111 likes this.
  5. Tom6to1

Tom6to1 Member

Monitor Audio Silver 8 speakers.

red 111 likes this.
  6. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

I lived in Cape Town 10 years. My entire system was British, many systems, everything from Ariston to Wharfdale and every letter in between (is there a Z British component I'm forgtting?) Except for some Japanese cartridges. HiFi was British HiFi, and glorious. Now back in the States, and looking at the OP's question, I'm amazed that nothing is British — except a pair of KEF Reference 101 small monitors and some Linn speaker wire, neither in use.

Oh, and my treasured Quad 63 electrostatics which need repair. Who does Quad repairs?

7. BrianLW

BrianLW New 'Hood' Subscriber

My secondary speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX6. British design and engineering, with manufacture farmed out to China.
    A Rothwell Headspace MC head-amp.
    Also, some LP recordings of the London Festival Orchestra :)

8. Space Ritual

Space Ritual Super Member

Arcam FMJ A19 integrated amp with Mission 773e speakers. Matched up way beyond my expectations:smoke: Plus a NAD C520 CD player on it‘s last legs

9. Seamaster

Seamaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am actually moving away from the British stuff, not intentionally, but just happened naturally, sold my Meridian G08 CDP years ago, and now, my Tannoy Turnberry is on the for sale list, my next speaker will be JBL, or maybe open baffle, who knows?

10. leeph

leeph New Member

Long road in my audio with a large Brit presence in my system/collection ... Garrard 301/ SME 3009, Tannoy 15" Golds in DIY cabs, 6 Goodmans Axiom 80 in DIY cabs (3/box ) . raw drivers include pair 12" Tannoy Golds, 3 Goodmans Axiom 22, 1 Goodmans Axiom 80 , pair A-Z Sound Sales 11" speakers, Sound Sales PX4 mono amp and 80-120 mullard tubes mostly 12ax7 Had in the pass ... 2 pairs of Tannoy Windsor rectangular GFR 15" Golds, pair 15" reds in GRF rectangular cab, pair of 10" Tannoy Golds, Goodmans Axiom 1220c in DIY cabs , B&W 802 series 80 and 803n , Linn LP12 and Systemdek table

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    boza and aqaba like this.
  11. newworld

newworld Active Member

I've always had British speakers, moving from Acoustic Energy, Harbeth, to Proac. For some reason, I just couldn't get British amplifiers to make those speakers sing. Rega, Exposure, and Naim all did pretty well, but they never sounded natural to me. It always felt like they lacked power and added coloration.

12. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Would buy British speakers if I could afford them, the only other thing that's British is me!

Andy Tovar likes this.
  13. StuartB

StuartB AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have Harbeth 30.1 speakers and an Exposure 3010s2D integrated amp. I sure don't feel like I am lacking power or hearing unwanted coloration. For me, in my room and with my ears, this is the best sound I have had in my house.

14. newworld

newworld Active Member

Actually, you are right. The best British I've ever heard was the Exposure 3010S2 Integrated. The 2010S2D I had on the other hand, while better than the Naim Nait 5si and the Rega Elex-R, still lacked power and made up for it in other ways.

15. Dirk Willims

Dirk Willims AK Subscriber Subscriber

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Just the following items. I'm a BIG Warfdale fan.

4 W70d's and 4 W90's killer sound.

Dirk

red 111 and boza like this.
  16. lbls1

lbls1 Active Member

Garrard DD75 heads up my system.

Attached Files:

boza likes this.

17. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well I have always liked NAD stuff but I only use their C546BEE CD player in my main system. I also have a C52 in the back-up position.
    Mostly British speakers for me. Tannoy Mayfair found their way into my collection earlier this year and have set me on a crusade to eventually move up the Tannoy chain. (see how I used crusade there? That's a British thing you know.)
    Also have some Wharfedale W70's and had some Epos that were great.
    I would love to get into some Harbeth too.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  18. mprince

mprince Super Member

I have 2 British components in my analog chain - 1) Audiomods Series 5 LM tonearm, and 2) Rothwell Headspace head amp. Neither is going anywhere anytime soon :music:

19. Splatter Pak

Splatter Pak High-End Scrounger

I redid my shop system the other day, and pulled the Cyrus out of mothballs.

I moved the turntable back to the main system, and the Arcam headed that way too, to power mids and tweets in a biamped system. So much for that.

Now, for the shop system: I moved the whole thing from the end of the workbench, to the top of a stereo cabinet I'd used for storage. First was the Denon DCD-3300, which I'd worked on - slicked the transport drawer up with small amounts of oil, replaced the springs with dental bands (one spring was missing, causing binding). The CDP output went out via Acoustic Research Master Reference VIDEO cables, about as thick as my little finger. The cables fed my recapped Cyrus 2 with PSX. In turn, the Cyrus sent signal out via some Monster speaker wire, the kind intended for in-wall installation - I had bought some at an estate sale on a spool. The speaker cable I strung along the basement ceiling joists. Finally, sound came out of a pair of B&W "waffleback" speakers. Somehow, the Cyrus amp sings, even though I had been dissatisfied with their sound with the SAME cd player and speakers. Maybe it was the new cable - don't know, but I'm not going to mess with it - it sounds too good!

20. dcravens

dcravens New Member

B&W 604s, DM12s, 601s