Kogan 55" UHD TV (complete rubbish)
Media centre PC
Philips HTL2150 Sound Bar (TV & Movies)
S.M.S.L. SD1955+ Sanskrit DAC
JVC QL7 Turntable with Shibata tipped Denon DL303 LOMC
Vintage Jensen Step Up Transformers
Yaqin MS23b Phono stage with Raythen 12AX7 Black Plate valves
KAB RF1 Rumble Filter
Yaqin MC10T Integrated Amp with Raytheon 5755 Black Plates, PsVane 12AU7 Treasure II's, JJ 6CA7 Power Tubes
Bowers & Wilkins DM-16 Floor Standing Speakers

I used to have DAB+ Radio hooked up and Pioneer DVD Player though they never got used. BlueRay player is gather dust in the garage and DAB+ is hooked up in the shed. Digital radio simply isn't up to being hooked up to a decent tube amp. Bit rate is too low so it generally sounds flat.

Sadly my living room system is my main system. Nowhere to escape the little lady when she's on a war path..... Like right now for instance

System

12523075_10153171846886666_5696182017995675717_n.jpg

Listening area

12631308_10153178528441666_255470407946058867_n.jpg

Last edited:
Clair Brothers Phase Linear Full Comp 700
Onkyo M-504
Perreaux SA3
Kenwood Basic C2
Carver C1
dbx DX5
Technics SL-1200mkII
CV E-712's

I switch between amps and preamps a lot to spread the use around

TV is not hooked up to my rig but it's a Sony Bravia 42" which is run through the wife's junky Pioneer A/V system

Source:
HP Compaq Business dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Winamp 2.95
250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi (with my own sound engineer enhanced EQ plot)
Audioquest DragonFly v1.2 DAC

Amp:
Marantz NR1402 (Pure Direct mode)

Speakers:
KLH 9250B

Ok,,,I'll play along...

Current configurations.

Main LR system:
Kenwood Basic C1 preamp
Adcom GFA-5200 poweramp
Sansui SE-80 EQ
JBL LX-44 speakers

This ^^^^ combination of components has really blown me away,far FAR exceeded my expectations for it,so I'm very hesitant to change anything at the moment.

Also off to one side.

Vintage system:
Kenwood KA-7300 (w/D7 handles)
Kenwood KT-7300 (w/D7 handles)
ADC SS-10 EQ
Rotel RE-2000 EQ
Note: There are no speakers hooked up to this system right now,mostly just using it for headphones right now,but I currently have pair(s) of Kenwood LS-408b & KL-555a speakers for this system,as well as a pair of JBL j325 speakers that I plan to use with this system as well seeing that the KA-7300 has A/B/A+B/C channels.
(ie: it can drive 3 different pairs of speakers)

Really need to get ^^^^ this system hooked up to the speakers I have for it and give it some indepth listening and see how it all sounds,but I keep getting sidetracked with other stuff.

On the dining room table (a former pool table,LOL).

My "back-up" system:
Onkyo P-310 preamp
Onkyo M-5100 poweramp
Pyramid SEA-4600 EQ
Right now ^^^^ this system has those Kenwood LS-408b speakers connected to it just to test them out -and- to test out the recently purchased P-301 preamp & Pyramid SEA-4600 EQ.

Also on that DR table are pairs of JBL LX-22 ~ Celestion Ditton 110 ~ and my AR TSW-410 that I am working on (just about finished w/these too).

Once I'm finished re-doing the AR TSW-410 the plan is to rotate them into the main LR system in place of the JBL LX-44 and see how they do.

Also there are a half dozen or so pairs of various brands/sizes of speakers stacked off to one side in various states of functionality,at least till I can get around to reorganizing everything a little better than they are now (does'nt help that I keep bringing home more thrift store speaker purchases).

FWIW

Bret P.

In the Living room

Infinty Kappa 7 F and RSM R
Some nondescript Sub hidden away somewhere
LG 60in LED panel (2D)
Yamaha RX-v1800
Apple TV
Oppo 105

Seems to work quite well
and also has reasonble WAF

Hmm....well first off no TV!

AT-LP120USB
Onkyo C-7030
Parasound Zpre2 and Zamp v3
Tekton M-Lores

Wife actually really loves the M-Lores and the turntable is hers. Just bought a Clearaudio Nano2 phono pre from another member so we can stop using the internal pre. Should be here soon. :)

Panasonic ZT60 Plasma
Yamaha RX-V673
Kef Ci ceiling & wall speakers
Velodyne subwoofer
Panasonic BR player
Apple TV
Direct TV

Audio Research SP-4A updated by ConradH
McIntosh MC2100 updated by Terry DeWick
ADS L710 on stands

sources:
Technics SL-1600 / Shure M97HE
Sony CDP-508ESD
Sansui TU-717
Sony TC-KA3ES
Pioneer RT-901

Just realized that the basic system is all US-made and the sources are all Japanese. As some other folks have mentioned, this LR system gets more hours of playing than any other setup in the house. I'm also thankful for a fiancée who's comfortable using it.

Last edited:
In the main LR system: The Sansui SE-80 EQ got swapped out for a Vector Research VQ-115 EQ,that way I can use the SE-80 with my Sansui AU/TU-217 combo.
No loss in SQ either,if anything the Vector Research VQ-115 may even sound ever so slightly better to me,I would suppose that's mostly because the level adjustment is on the front panel of the VR VQ-115 and is likely adjusted just a teeny bit better than it was on the Sansui SE-80.

FWIW

Bret P

In the living room I have a 40" Samsung flat screen tv. I have a Sony STR-GX9ES receiver which is hooked up to a pair Pioneer HPM-100 speakers. I have a Dual 1019 tt. A Philips CD-40 player, a Nakamichi CR-1A cassette deck, and a Hughes Sound Retrieval System AK-100. On the A/V side I have Pioneer DVL-700 Laser Disc player, a Sony VHS player and a Magnavox Blu-ray player. All except the tv. and the Hughes unit came from thrifts.

Living room system is strictly home theater..

60" Samsung HDTV
Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1050
Definitive Technology BP 10 Fronts
Definitive Technology Mythos 5 rears
Definitive Technology Supercube 4000 sub

Music Room:

Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II
Clearaudio Concept
Yamaha CDN-500 CD/Network Player
Magnapan .7's

I have a Sansui AU-11000 that needs some work

Our living room is based around my wifes tastes, she does like some music, but that room is mostly for television, and conversation. So along with the Toshiba Regza HDTV, there is a Denon - avr 587 receiver, I have tried 10 different speaker configurations with it, but she prefers the minimalist approach I have now, 2 ADS - L400, very small, 2 Mission MS50, also very small. One generic JBL center channel, a decent Philips BluRay/media player and no sub, thats it, sounds pretty good actually, and she likes that is is nearly unnoticable compared to the large JBL and ADS speakers I had in there before, which sounded excellent btw. But those have landed in other rooms.

Our living room is in the process of being converted into a dedicated listening room. (Yes, the wife fully approves. I am one of the lucky ones!) the system:

Outlaw Audio RR2150 Receiver
B&O RX TT (the lone piece of vintage equipment. I bought it new in 1983)
Tascam CD-RW900MkII CD player/recorder
Klipsch Heresy III speakers
Outlaw Audio Ultra X12 subwoofer
Lenovo Z50 laptop

Not the high end gear that some folks have, but the synergy of this system is amazing. Very happy with the sound and I can still afford to buy music to play on it. WIN!

My living room rig has been downgraded to a Samsung soundbar and a wireless sub. Try as I might none of those damned old speakers that I'm fond of looked right paired up with a modern 75'' flat screen. For the rare occasions I'll sit and watch tv the soundbar is more than enough. Waf has also never been higher now that we're minus the extra electronics, period incorrect speakers and the big old sub.

My living room rig has been downgraded to a Samsung soundbar and a wireless sub. Try as I might none of those damned old speakers that I'm fond of looked right paired up with a modern 75'' flat screen. For the rare occasions I'll sit and watch tv the soundbar is more than enough. Waf has also never been higher now that we're minus the extra electronics, period incorrect speakers and the big old sub.
Agreed! My system is for,listening. Have a zvox 555 for the tv. I primarily watch sports. No need for a surround system for,that!

Currently in my living room I've got a McIntosh MC2105 amp with C28 preamp, I have my AR XA project table going, all sitting atop my Bozak component cabinet. My recently finished project Teac 4010 reel to reel hiding in the corner. Not a good WAF for the r2r in my house. For now I have a stacked pair of 4312's. I'd love some l200 or 4320 horn loaded JBL 2-ways for this system ... Goals.

Back
Top Bottom