What's the best new PCI sound card that works with Windows 10?

Eric H

Addicted Member
I have a Win 7 PC that I use for recording, Vinyl, 78's and sometimes tapes, it has an M-Audio 24/96 with RCA inputs, that card was recommended to me here at AK and it's terrific, but it was originally used with XP then upgraded to Win 7 (which M-Audio grudgingly supplied a somewhat functional driver and software for), however it is not being supported for Win 10 at all so I'm thinking about replacing it so I can upgrade the PC.

M-Audio doesn't seem to make any actual sound cards any more so what is a good brand nowadays.

Prefer it to be PCI so it can be internal, Win 10 supported, prefer RCA inputs on the card, don't really want anything more than two channel stereo, excellent sound recording quality is a must, and price is somewhat of an object, say less than $200.

You wont find much for 2 channel PCI cards these days.I would just go with a Behringer UCA202. Its small, USB, and sounds good. $30.

I run a custom Delta 1010 LT in my home studio. I bet the caps on your 24/96 are bad. I just replaced 40 some caps on my 1010 and 75% were completely dead.

I have a Win 7 PC that I use for recording, Vinyl, 78's and sometimes tapes, it has an M-Audio 24/96 with RCA inputs, that card was recommended to me here at AK and it's terrific, but it was originally used with XP then upgraded to Win 7 (which M-Audio grudgingly supplied a somewhat functional driver and software for), however it is not being supported for Win 10 at all so I'm thinking about replacing it so I can upgrade the PC.

I'm using and currently listening to the same sound card on Windows 10, it's working fine.

I'm using and currently listening to the same sound card on Windows 10, it's working fine.
Thanks, I'd read somewhere that it was not supported under 10 at all.

As for the caps, it's working fine so I'll assume they're okay for now. The 24/96 doesn't have all that many electrolytics anyhow, maybe 10?

I have an ASUS Xonar Essence STX. Love the card but I have problems with it's drivers. It has always been a booger updating this cards drivers not sure why, and that includes the Uni drivers. When it is working there is nothing better. I am beginning to wonder if this card is defective, and always has been. ASUS has always been slow on updates for their sound cards they have Windows 10 drivers in beta. ASUS has a new Essence STX card maybe I'll get one but at $200 bucks not cheap. My advice is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Last edited:
Just a thought, is there a burning desire to upgrade to 10? I tested it at work, and (unfortunately) have it on a new laptop. Things that worked perfectly forever in 7 are FUBAR in 10, and it does NOT do things better for the average user than 7. Unless you need transparent cloud storage in the background, plan to access your stuff over multiple devices, or have a desire for MS latest failure -er-offering, stay with 7.

I my opinion the only thing that really sets the ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound cards apart from others is the excellent headphone amp it has. With the continuing problems I am have with the Xonar and Windows 10 I am currently using the "True Sound" audio supplied by the Nvidia GT640 Graphics card. I am impressed, everything both video and sound comes in via its' HDMI output. It sounds just like the direct DLNA connection via Ethernet and Windows 10 WASPI firmware to the Onkyo AVR without having to play around with unsupported Codec's. Your M-Audio sound card is specifically designed to be used in a studio setting I don't think you are going to do any better without spending a bunch of money.

I have had 3 ASUS cards and all have died just after the warranty ran out. I do not like the fact that you have to use an extra power connector for them. I also found them to be the noisiest sound cards I have ever used. That and the fact their drivers are atrocious, would not let me recommend them at all.
I don't have a problem with the direct power connection, and my Essence has the extra shielding so it is not noisy. But the drivers DAMN!!!! :rant::rant::thumbsdown: The Nvidia is a direct digital feed, and my Onkyo TX-NR709 does all of the decoding and it does a better job then the Xonar ever did.

Just for PCI? Ht omega claro halo. I just got mine and so far its pretty amazing. Its really by far superior to any thing i've heard, so itskind of hard for me to compare it to much. I was listening via an asus xonar dx, now it feels that im just listening to the music.

Since I last posted I have gone to a AMD Radeon R9 380 graphics card which has AMD True Audio. It works through my Onkyo as the Nividia GT-640 the difference is the R9 380 completely blows the GT-640 out of the what both as a graphic card and in the sound department. Plus it totally nukes the Xonar Essence STX. I have removed the Xonar.

Back
Top Bottom