What's the best receiver you ever heard?

I was lucky enough to stumble upon Fisher 500b about 18 months ago. The most enjoyable piece of audio equipment I've ever purchased.

Sansui G-8000 or G-9000. Either would do.
Ditto, but only after restoration. G9K preferred because I listen to a lot of radio and the G9K has two Front End RF amps, like high-end separate tuners, for much better sensitivity and selectivity. IMHO, really outstanding performance.

I've had a lot of SS receivers over the years, my two favs are the ones I have now....Advent 300, and KLH Model Twenty-Seven. But....with that said, the one I wish I kept was an all tube receiver that was a kit......my EICO 2536. Had a great warm sound and the FM tuner worked great, if not a bit drifty. Not many inputs on the back, not overly powerful at 18watts per channel and only able to connect two speakers up to it, but I still would say, this would be my keep forever receiver. (Only wish I had kept it now in retrospect!)

Only 1 forever - would be a Yamaha DSP 3090. However that also locks in speakers and the fact that I am addicted to having a remote.
The best ever amp I have heard for long periods of time, Marantz 2230.
Thanks.
Srinath.

I haven't seriously listened to more than two dozen receivers in my time, but one that really stands out is my humble Nikko NR-819. Open, clear, big deep soundstage, nice tight bass, bright in a good way, but never harsh.

If I didn't prefer separates, I'd get mine out of the closet. If I ever set up a B system, that's going to be the heart of it. The tuner is quite good, too.

Last edited:
These threads are so much fun---
Low level listening with very efficient speakers (Forte's or EV's), Sansui 2000 for solid state or Sherwood S8000iv for tubes
Medium levels through Corwalls Sansui 8080db Pioneer SX-939, Marantz 4300 in stereo mode
Ear damage rock sessions through JBL's, Sansui G9000, Pioneer 1980 and Rotel 1603 (tuned up but not restored in the Rotel's case)
No real favorite in each category, they all do extremely well.
And all are eye candy whilst doing their thing

Good thing nobody mentioned looks, there is another thread somewhere with a stupidly high post count about which receiver looks the best :)

Not saying they are the best period but from what I heard probably a Luxman R-117 or a Sansui 9090db.
This was a number of years ago seven to be exact.While these were very good units I have heard better since then,mainly newer Yamahas. Keep in mind it is all subjective.

I have heard quite a few and the best to me is the Marantz 2245 :music: followed by the Marantz model 18 then the Fisher 500C. The Marantz 2325 rates pretty high when when i want to blow the roof off but i think im more feeling it then hearing it :rockon:

I have heard quite a few and the best to me is the Marantz 2245 :music: followed by the Marantz model 18

I've never heard a 2245 but love the sound of my 2270. Do you hear much difference between the two?

It's interesting that you prefer the 45 over the 18. For me, I'd give the edge to both the 18 and 19 for "best I've heard" but the 2270 won't be going anywhere for a long, long time.

For me it's my Pioneer SX D7000. I've had a bunch of receivers but none that will touch this thing. It makes crappy speakers sound good. It sorta makes me regret getting rid of some speakers I had before I aquired the 7000.

I've never heard a 2245 but love the sound of my 2270. Do you hear much difference between the two?

It's interesting that you prefer the 45 over the 18. For me, I'd give the edge to both the 18 and 19 for "best I've heard" but the 2270 won't be going anywhere for a long, long time.

Anyone done a back to back with a 2270 and 4270? Wonder how similar the sound is in 2-channel power mode. I have a 4270 on the shelf that needs a minor (I assume and hope) repair, worth it to get up and running?

Would probably replace a Sansui 2000a or else a Dynaco PAT-4/ST-120.

I remember when my Dad upgraded the old Sears silvertone to a Kenwood and Avid 102's with dual turntable. WOW I thought this sounds so much better! I had the same thought a few years later when I purchased a new TR 2080 Tandberg and used Avid 103s. I still have the Tandberg and original box...I now listen to a Denon through Altec Stonehenge IIs and that sounds pretty good. I would go with the Tandberg as being a pretty darn good receiver.

The 2245 was my first real receiver in the 70's and ive had it over 40 years and probably why i like it best and i never get tired of it, i had it recapped and it still sounds just as sweet, yes the 2245 and 2270 are very close in sound very similar builds, ive had the 2270 recapped as well but i still like the 2245 better it seems a little more detailed. I recently had the 18 recapped and it was a WOW moment when i got it back really improved the bass and its definitely running neck and neck with the 2245 and is really a coin toss between the two.

I've got a Marantz 2250B, Pioneer SX1010, SX950, SX737, Onkyo TX4500 mkII, and several others, but my Sandui 8080DB is the best all around in SQ. The 1010 would be next.

Back
Top Bottom