What's the best receiver you ever heard?

Now that I've acquired and heard the 'stock' Luxman R-117 for the past week, it's the best receiver that I've heard. The 115 put the Fisher 500B to shame and the 117 is just a bit better than the 115. The Luxman SS units are in a different league altogether, but the FM tuner on the 500B is still fun to listen to. Haven't yet recapped the 117, but that's next. Will also try the 'EFB' mod on the Fisher to see how much that helps, but I'm doubtful it will come close, as the performance gap is very big as it stands.

My Magnavox 1500. BUT, somebody has gone through every square inch of it. A LOT of the parts are not what came in it. Meaning they are different spec from original. And many of the original parts are absent. Meaning it's been redesigned in a big way. It came with a note book on the changes but it doesn't say why the changes were made or what the objective was.

P2160002 (1).JPG

Now that I've acquired and heard the 'stock' Luxman R-117 for the past week, it's the best receiver that I've heard. The 115 put the Fisher 500B to shame and the 117 is just a bit better than the 115. The Luxman SS units are in a different league altogether, but the FM tuner on the 500B is still fun to listen to. Haven't yet recapped the 117, but that's next. Will also try the 'EFB' mod on the Fisher to see how much that helps, but I'm doubtful it will come close, as the performance gap is very big as it stands.

I've owned quite a few receivers and amps, and agree. Tuner section on the R-117 is stellar if you like FM, and voicing runs warm flat but controllable. Pair a 117 with a good set of bookshelves in a small setup and look no further, better than earlier vintage. Use it is a larger setup and it can rival separates. Some will say it's not real "Luxman" but it's a great piece of gear.

I miss my Sony STR-7055 driving a pair of Altec 891A bookshelf speakers. A great tuner back in the day when WMMS ruled the airways in NE Ohio. Had plenty of clean power and a great phono section. Would love to pick one up some day.

My Luxman R-1120a if I ever get the funds to get it fixed. It does everything great when it's working.

I am not an expert or have heard a ton of old receivers, but those I have had rank as;
Luxman, 120 wpc that will drive my 4 Ohm Infinities and lap it up all day.

Luxman R-115. Tons of in/out ports, a remote control, good tuner, marginal phono preamp,
a modest but overachieving 70wpc and the expected full, clear but not strident Luxman sound even if some condiser it "Early 90's Alpine era BPC".(It's not)
I want a 2nd one just for spare parts since the R-115 is a great all around receiver with 2 pre-outs and its easy to use an outboard phono pre that's far better.

Pioneer SX-828, Only 55wpc but a softer sound for a Pioneer as they did have in the early-mid 70's before the "Stereo watts wars".
Pioneer SX-950. More raw power than the 828, great heft, great throw switches and silver looks, but not as smooth of a sound as the 828.

A host of other various Yamaha and Kenwood vintage receivers, all of which would work OK in a pinch but show their weakness past 12 o'clock on the dial.

My Luxman R-1120a if I ever get the funds to get it fixed. It does everything great when it's working.

I am not an expert or have heard a ton of old receivers, but those I have had rank as;
Luxman, 120 wpc that will drive my 4 Ohm Infinities and lap it up all day.

Luxman R-115. Tons of in/out ports, a remote control, good tuner, marginal phono preamp,
a modest but overachieving 70wpc and the expected full, clear but not strident Luxman sound even if some condiser it "Early 90's Alpine era BPC".(It's not)
I want a 2nd one just for spare parts since the R-115 is a great all around receiver with 2 pre-outs and its easy to use an outboard phono pre that's far better.

Pioneer SX-828, Only 55wpc but a softer sound for a Pioneer as they did have in the early-mid 70's before the "Stereo watts wars".
Pioneer SX-950. More raw power than the 828, great heft, great throw switches and silver looks, but not as smooth of a sound as the 828.

A host of other various Yamaha and Kenwood vintage receivers, all of which would work OK in a pinch but show their weakness past 12 o'clock on the dial.
What about your Dynaco A-25's ?

I would have to say that it's my current Denon AVR3803, an AV receiver that is just fine for hi-fi. From the past I would pick the Pioneer SX727 and the Kenwood model Eleven, both of which I wish I still owned. I also had repaired and donated to the rec room of my wife's employer (a group home for mentally challenged women) a Sony STR2300 (iirc) that was downright great until one of the residents spilled a can of Pepsi on it. Cola does bad things to the innards of the piece.

Resurrection ..... the Luxman R-117 is the best receiver I have ever heard . Nostalgic sound 9090db

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom