What's with hooking up 4 speakers anyway?

likebike23

Addicted Member
What's the deal? Why? Stacking seems cool, but wouldn't 4 speakers hooked up to most receivers reduce the wattage to each speaker and increase the likelihood of clipping at loud volumes? If you want to crank it, would a larger pair of speakers be better?

I can understand messing with it for a quasi surround effect back in the day, but wasn't there quad for that? Today surround sound is ubiquitous if you want it, so why would one bother?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, i just don't understand why one would want to tax vintage gear by hooking up 4 speakers if there is little benefit. Am I missing something?

When you run 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers (and your receiver can handle it), the power output actually doubles (2 sets of 8 ohm speakers looks like a 4 ohm load). So there is a short answer for you.

Thanks Wayner. I had considered that and was under the impression that a lot of consumer gear couldn't actually double it's power with a 4 ohm load, most came up short. I'm not sure if matters, maybe I'm asking the wrong question.

Would two sets of speakers running at say 50 WPC each be considerably louder than one pair of the same speakers at 50WPC?

I have a brute power amp and 2 sets of mostly 8 ohm speakers. My cables allow me to run at 4 OR 16 ohms without issue. At 16 ohms the distortion is also roughly half of the 8 ohm load, and at 4 ohms I'm pushing near 600 RMS/channel. Just think of the fun!!!

What's the deal? Why? Stacking seems cool, but wouldn't 4 speakers hooked up to most receivers reduce the wattage to each speaker and increase the likelihood of clipping at loud volumes? If you want to crank it, would a larger pair of speakers be better?
As Wayne indicated, many amplifiers produce more power at lower impedance. Not all double, but most do provide a goodly increase. Doubling the number of speakers itself increases output by 2-3 db as well so you can definitely do more with multiple sets.

As an example, I used to run double New Advents in my garage system driven by a Threshold amplifier that did pretty much "double down" in output power. It worked great for parties and did generate a higher level of output than singles.

The tradeoff is image clarity by means of comb filtering. While some speakers like my stats are designed to be used in arrays without compromising the sound quality, stacking most speakers breaks some fundamental rules that you won't find used by designers from the outset. I now use a single pair on stands and prefer the results.

I used to enjoy a form of pseudo surround by putting 2 speakers in front of me and 2 behind and reversing L/R on the rear pair. This had the effect of giving you stereo no matter where you sat because any 2 adjacent speakers were a different channel. Other than that, I never stacked or anything of that nature.

Try my pseudo surround some time - it does sound great if you have 4 of the same speaker. And it even sounds kinda cool if you don't...

jblnut

I can understand messing with it for a quasi surround effect back in the day, but wasn't there quad for that? Today surround sound is ubiquitous if you want it, so why would one bother?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, i just don't understand why one would want to tax vintage gear by hooking up 4 speakers if there is little benefit. Am I missing something?

I have played around with four on my Sa-8500 II using the A+B setup but don't necessarily run them all at once most of the time (though my KLH 17s and Dynaco A-25s actually seem to compliment each other). Most of the time I've used them in an alternating fashion depending on what I'm listening to or mood. The Dynacos tend to be more laid back so I tend to use them for listening at night or sometimes when I want music to fall asleep to. The KLHs sound really great with jazz, piano, and horns. More practically I'd probably use them as actual mains and remotes on one amp. At this point they're split between the 8500 and my Marantz 2230 now that it's up and running.

I'm assuming you mean besides quadraphonic, or did you want to include that as well?

I used to enjoy a form of pseudo surround by putting 2 speakers in front of me and 2 behind and reversing L/R on the rear pair. This had the effect of giving you stereo no matter where you sat because any 2 adjacent speakers were a different channel. Other than that, I never stacked or anything of that nature.

Try my pseudo surround some time - it does sound great if you have 4 of the same speaker. And it even sounds kinda cool if you don't...

jblnut

What you have done is create a Hafler hookup/circuit. It is a "poor man's" 4-channel sound. And is remarkably nice to listen to.

When you run 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers (and your receiver can handle it), the power output actually doubles (2 sets of 8 ohm speakers looks like a 4 ohm load). So there is a short answer for you.
So does 3 sets of speakers look like a 2 ohm load?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Here you go...And the link.

With this you can do both equal value and unequal values of parallel resistance.

Resistors (speakers) in series simply add together.

upload_2018-1-17_13-33-48.png

We've recently had a couple of threads discussing the use of more than one pair of speakers. Some like the effect, some prefer a single pair (as do I). However, I don't recall anyone specifically mentioning that the goal was to be able to play more loudly, and most don't seem to be going for a "surround" effect. Some mentioned using multiple power amps, so if the goal were to listen at higher SPLs, that is the best bet.

Whether the desire is a fuller, richer and/or warmer sound or the listener has found a dispersion effect he likes, or some other facet of sound is not always clearly explained, but many here love to play multiples because they enjoy it. Others have multiple speakers for variety, using one pair at a time, and we also discussed whether unused speakers may have a significant effect on sound quality simply by their presence in the same room.

So your question about power and loudness and/or a surround effect with the use of four speakers, combined with your statement of not understanding the benefit, fails to consider other factors for why some listeners like it. In the end, it's about listening the way one wants and enjoys without worrying about whether someone else 'approves,' and I do respect that.

My receiver has A and B. I have 1 set of 8 Ohm speakers connected to A and a switch box that can handle 3 sets of speakers to B. The switch box now has 2 sets of 8 Ohm speakers connect to it. I want to add a 3rd 8 Ohm set to the box.

I've stacked two pairs of Marantz Imperial 6's and played them through my Realistic STA-960 receiver while watching Rogue One with my brother in law. We had it up pretty loud and my receiver never got hot, and it sounded very clear and authoritative. As long as a receiver or amplifier can handle the load of both sets of speakers then you should be okay.

And as a side note, the STA-960 is rated at 50 watts/channel @ 8ohms.

I've used a Rogue Sphinx integrated. It doubles its wattage to 200wpc @4 ohms. Easily drive following in 14' x 23' bright room.
I've stacked two sets Advents. Stacked two sets ADS L880s also. Upper speakers flipped. Lower speakers 8" from floor.
I think it can give a larger soundstage. Sound can seem" not to be coming from the boxes". In my experience, needs a larger room for stacking. Bass can increase. Possibly due to closer to floor. Never tried stacks with speakers on thier sides.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone. My intention was not to make anyone worry about their system choices, I just didn't get it. I can now see that there are many reasons to do it. I never really gave it much thought as running 4 speakers wasn't/isn't practical for me. I have my own preferences as to what I like to run and appreciate that all of you have your own thing, that's what makes this hobby fun.

Back
Top Bottom