What's your grandma's favorite food?

My bubbe's favourite food was (deep) fried chicken. But healthy and delicious? Hm, don't know about that.

Good luck w/ lunch, dinner, or whichever meal you're fixin' to make.

Mine was born in 1913 and passed in 1999 but when I was coming up I remember her fixing lots of fried green tomatoes from the garden and chicken and dumplings (chickens from the coop).

Fried chicken, collard greens, green beans, corn, homemade rolls and butter, sliced tomato/lettuce/sliced onion with a dollop of mayonaise, and a green jello salad with cottage cheese in it.
Oh, and Coca Cola (pronounced CoCola).
So much for healthy.

2 things My Grandma Trueblood made that I loved. Chicken and Noodles. (the noodles were handmade, and rolled out.) She boiled a stewing hen for hours, added spices, some grated carrot, (for color), and cooked the noodles in the broth, thickening it as it cooked. She's been gone since '93, but the dish is made a few times a year by my Mom, but is ALWAYS made for our annual Christmas Eve. family supper. Roasted Duck. she could cook a duck to perfection. It was never greasy! Until this day, nobody, including Mom ever found out how she rendered the grease from the duck.

My grandmother was born in Sweden and made the most awesome pastries. Her egg shell coffee was also incredible - it absorbs the bitterness in coffee. Swedish Christmas with Swedish meatballs and all the trimmings

Maternal: Chicken and Dumplings using Pillsbury biscuits in a roll.

Paternal: Red Borscht

Enjoy,
Rich P

Roast beef with roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes and lots of gravy. Easy to make and gives you some time to have some drinks with your grandmother while stuff is roasting in the oven.

Loving your suggestions, although fried chicken may be a little on the 'unhealthy' side. lol. But roasted veggies, collard greens - yes, just perfect! I hope I make her happy. She's living with Alzheimer's but she remembers me (favorite granddaughter) always. She's like this when she's feeling neglected and she wants attention. She wants me to cook for her. Thanks for your suggestions. Will surely prepare this later.

Loving your suggestions, although fried chicken may be a little on the 'unhealthy' side. lol. But roasted veggies, collard greens - yes, just perfect! I hope I make her happy. She's living with Alzheimer's but she remembers me (favorite granddaughter) always. She's like this when she's feeling neglected and she wants attention. She wants me to cook for her. Thanks for your suggestions. Will surely prepare this later.
Hi buddy, I hope your grandmother enjoyed the food. I want to cook for my grandma too but sadly she passed away last June 2017.

Hey
It's not healthy but my grandma would home made doughnuts.
My mom was the resident home made chicken and noodle expert. Nobody has ever came close to hers.
Damn, I miss them both. The people and the cooking. Holidays don't help.
Happy holidays to all. Eric

How about a nice vegetable stew, like La Giambotta. It's simple to make and I like to add shredded chicken to it. Very healthy and nice in the winter months.

If she likes fried chicken, take her some and some music she loves. It will make her happy.

To my future grandkids, I love salads... but do not bring me one.

I got Gribbenes as a snack when my grandmother was rendering schmaltz. It's like chicken flavored popcorn. At other times, it was a schmear of schmaltz on a Crown Pilot cracker.

Paternal (1900-1956)

I never met her but I have her diaries.

Sauerbraten with red cabbage, spaetzle and knoedel.

Back
Top Bottom