What's your opinion of the Optonica line of audio products?

1978 I bought a system in Cambridge MA. They set me up with a NAD 3020, Polk Monitor 7b speakers and an Optonica RP3636 TT (picture below). I still own the speakers and the TT (used in my system up to one year ago). I have considered selling it but the molded granite is probably to heavy and/or fragile for UPS or FedEx to handle well, even though I still have the original box and packing for it.:no:

Damn that's Purdy!

Optonica rp-7705

I was lucky to recently pick up on Ebay a 7705 turntable with an ADC XLM Mark II cartridge to be added to my growing Optonica audio collection. This is a great working turntable, with the amazing APLD system, a novel feature for a high end turntable back in the 1970's. The sound quality is amazingly clear and precise with the expensive cartridge. When the table is demonstrated, people are amazed that such a technology was available many years ago.

Hey optoman, I have a set of cp2121 speakers 2 way passive radiator which I wouldn't change for anything. (had them for 35 years and they are still going strong).
Recently I scored a set of optonica cp5100x desctop 3 ways which need repair, can't wait to fix them up and get them singing again.

Optonica Opinion

In my vintage daily run secondary Vinyl system I use a Philips 784(Magnavox) receiver, a pair 3-way RSC speakers on Sansui stands and an Qptonica RP-4705 direct drive turntable.The speakers were disassembled and restored,the Philips and Optonica have never been touched,a testament to their build quality in my opinion.The Philips is the only receiver I could ever live with and has an excellent Phono stage.
The Optonica was bought from my Father in Laws best friend's after his passing from his wife after sitting for 3 years,maybe more.The small Optonica Integrated worked for a week then died.I gave it to a friend to try and repair without success.It had an odd transformer set up and parts were no longer available..
I brought the TT home and it worked exceptionally well playing my old Vinyl and I have been happily enjoying ever since.I like it and it seems a perfect match for the rest of the system so I dodn't mess with this system anymore except adding a better cd player.The TT originally came with a Platter Matter which I kept in play and set it on a Mission Isoplat and sound improved another notch. All these pieces are 'Keepers"..Scoop em if ya see em!...Peace & Harmonies Altec Concert Kenny

ive had a few optonica units over the years, very impressive build quality! nice sound! i had a int-amp/tuner set once that i loved, they called it delta powerd. dont remember the model though but it had this really cool schamatic painted on the top, i had one of there bigger receivers once too in a really nice rosewood case, but one channel was blown out so i never got to really enjoy it, its a shame sharp killed there high end line, it was truly world class stuff!! and hard to find today.

The first TV I ever bought back in 1989 was an Optonica 20-inch model that boasted a higher-than-average 400 lines of resolution (if I remember correctly). It worked great, had a beautiful picture, and lasted until 2005, when the screen gradually started going dark. By that time I was itching for a newer, bigger TV but being the cheapskate I am refused to buy another until the Optonica conked out. For a couple of years there I wondered if I was going to have to throw the Optonica out a window to get it to fail!

I also briefly had an Optonica 5206 receiver, which sounded great and was very handsome. I wound up selling it only because the tuner wasn't quite strong or selective enough to work in my city apartment which is partly below ground. It could have needed service, but by that time I'd switched to separates and just didn't have room to keep it. I'd love to find one of their bigger receivers, or one of those great-looking turntables. very nice gear.

I have an Optonica SA-5151 (thrift store find, $20) that I really like. Very clean, neutral tone with my Boston Acoustics HD-8s. I'll almost surely swap it out for the Marantz 2235B a friend just gave me, but I'll have a hard time parting with the Optonica; it's got seemingly endless power. Just the physical presence of this thing in impressive. Who knows, I might score some monster Cerwin-Vegas for it and have a block party some day...

My first ever receiver back around 1981 was a Optonica 5203 with matching cassette deck and turntable,all still works to this day.
I would say the quality was good for the most part as it was Sharp's attempt at a more upmarket hi-fi brand name like Technics was to Panasonic.You don't see much second-hand Optonica gear around here,so I'd suspect sales and marketing weren't all that good.

Halli, I'd love to see a pic of that vertical play turntable…

If you haven't seen one yet here's one from my collection, the OPTONICA RT-104 with original Audio Technica cartridges, one for each side.

SHARP%2520RP-104%2520%25281%2529.jpg

I have an SM-4646 integrated amp with dual transformers and a third for the pre amp. Lovely sounding and looks stunning. Had it about 5 years. I was wondering if anyone knows which tuner matches?

Paul

I owned the Sharp RT-3388 version of the Optonica Rt-7100 computer-controlled cassette deck. It would sense the space between songs which allowed you to skip songs and program which songs on the cassette you wanted to hear. It had decent build-quality. I didn't have any problems with it. I'm don't remember what happened to it. I believe I eventually gave it away.

I have an SM4646

After trying various new receivers and the Yamaha RS300 the SM4646 was a "wow" moment from first start up. Everything the other gear lacked is delivered by the Optonica. Its clear, crisp, punch and has plenty of power. I am getting no distortion before its just to loud for my ears.

Finally I have an amp in my workshop that sounds as though the music is being played in the room.

Optonica fan!

I had an Optonica amp back in the day(80's) and loved it!
Curious thing, now I keep finding Optonica gear everywhere! I've amassed quite a bit over the years, from the SA-5905 on down. Also the RP-3636 MKII and just about all the TT's they put out(In the States anyway). Absolutely Love the way the black-face units look and sound! They've beaten out quite a few other brand names in my collecting frenzy over the years(Sansui,Marantz,Kenwood,Onkyo,Pioneer and...even a McIntosh!). Maybe it's my eyes clouding my ears, but they just sound as good, or better than those expensive over-hyped brands.And not everyone has one...I like the odd and rare. This is all my opinion,mind you!
Maybe I should mention that I have gone to Pioneer Elite separates lately.....but just can't seem to part with the old Optonica.

Found a set of Optonica CP-5151 speakers last summer. The build quality is superb. Great bracing . They are very heavy. I am driving them with a Yamaha MX-1/CX-1 combo and they sound excellent. Clarity throughout the range. They are tri-ampable. There is very little info on these but they did not skimp on the drivers.

Attachments

• IMG_20140212_222952.jpg
    IMG_20140212_222952.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20140212_223129.jpg
    IMG_20140212_223129.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20140212_223218.jpg
    IMG_20140212_223218.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20140212_223239.jpg
    IMG_20140212_223239.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20140212_223152.jpg
    IMG_20140212_223152.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 159
The CP-5000 you found info about is probably the same as your CP-5151, only it was the model designation for the Japanese market.
Up to 50 kHz in 1975 :tresbon:

I picked up a SM-9005 integrated amp 100 watts a side as a back up. Loaned the amp out to a friend and a channel went out. I let him use my Sansui g-7700 (120 watts) which he told me that he is never giving back. I had the SM-9005 sorted and gone through and have grown to like the amp a lot. I love the black face with gold ascents this was part of Optanic's designer line. I also found a tuner that matches (black face, gold gold trim) ST-4406 its very slim, $5.99 St Vincent de Paul. I would love to do a comparison side by side with a AU-717 or 919 I'm still at heart a Sansui guy.

I have just picked up a Optonica Sa 5201. Very nice looking in Silver. Powers up but nothing coming out yet so will have to wait to come to on sound.

Last edited:
I just picked up a very clean Optonica set of pieces including the SA-5202 receiver, RT-6505 cassette, and the RP-7205 turntable. Came up on a local add oddly just 3 days after going and listening to Lifer70's Optonica speakers on Saturday! (yes, they are impressive) I might have to pass them on to him so he has the full system!

These pieces are so good looking which is something that is important to me as I like to balance the combination of great aesthetics with great engineering to translate to great design. Much like my Pioneer SA-5580 receiver. It works great and pulls in station very well it seems. Will need a light deoxit treatment and cleaning.

The turntable needs a belt and if anyone knows a source for that I would appreciate the feedback. It had deteriorated to goo so I do not know size. There is very little out there (so far in searching) on this particular model of table from them, not even on vinylengine. Has a Shure M93ED cart on it but the tip is broken off so that is a nice bonus. You can see the table itself has the look of a Denon.

Before I try the cassette I had better go in and see how the belts are. If the turntable belt is any indication of what the condition might be with these..... The light on the VU meter was on but now is not coming on.

0502170902_resized.jpg 0502170903_resized.jpg 0502170904_resized.jpg 0502170904a_resized.jpg 0502170904b_resized.jpg 0502170904c_resized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom