What's your poison?

What's your Poison?

• Total voters
Mostly jazz although I still listen to some classic rock. I also like Steve Earle, Nick Drake, Flying Burrito Brothers and other odds and ends.

cubdog

rock/pop/electro/new wave/punk/country/classical/jazz/minimal techno/ambient/exotica/vintage electronica/electronica/indie rock/experimental/free jazz/noise/soundscape/new age/post punk/psychedelic/funk/whatever ya got

I was a strange kid when it came to listening to music,i grew up listening to Sabbath/Zepplin & all that era of music but it wasnt till i heard Frank Zappa for the first time that i was aware of other forms of music,i devoured all i could find from Zappa & started in on tracking down music from his band members.

This search led me to my first Miles davis album (Bitches Brew) & i was totally blown away with fusion jazz at that point,i was about 16 & began to search out all the fusion jazz i could find.

I still listen to rock & other music but fusion jazz is my main focus.

How about Punk? Rockabilly? Whadda 'bout alternative? And pure unadulterated pop?

You only get 10 choices for a poll.. I put a couple more common, and a couple less talked about.. unfortunitally, I only had "other" to catch the rest.. I was just trying to find out what the more common music people here listen too, and what got them started on it..

Rock, Jazz, Classical... and occasionally, a bit of Opera. Especially Wagner.
What got me started on Rock was listening to Top 40 in the 60's and 70's; I miss Top 40 music, frankly.
Classical and Opera, well, that liking came from having the kitchen radio playing either one when I was growing up. And an interest in Jazz has come about because of the lack of decent pop music on the air nowadays.
Tom

I chose RnR and Jazz, but also enjoy 50s DooWop, blues, older R&B and soul. I am kind of stuck in the 60s and early 70s music. I don't listen to much of it, but some of the newer country is pretty good. I also like some of the 60s psych garage stuff. It all depends on my mood.

My very first album was Abbey Road, second was Honky Chateau, third was Wish You Were Here. On my Layfayette integrated, garrard turntable and speakers. From there it's been everywhere, blues clubs in Japan, NYC shows, Chuck Berry/ Bo Diddley in concert, Eric C/G Harrison/P collins in Japan, the small venue Ray Charles show my wife got me into for my birthday, the Phila Philharmonic. Some DQ-10s I wish I still had, my Stereo-70. The double Lg Advents I first heard. So many memories....and PDQ Bach

I like it all basically. Old Time fiddle tunes, Celtic music, Bluegrass, Blues and 50's Rock and Roll, Classical, older Country and Western, real Folk. Off limits for me is Opera and Rap-Hip Hop

I got started on R&R I guess from an album I remember well from my parents.. It was called "Solid and Raunchy" Wished I could find it again..
I think your talking about "The Bill Black Combo" from the '50's
should be easy enough to find, I remember them releasing some of their stuff on CD in the 90's

I think your talking about "The Bill Black Combo" from the '50's
should be easy enough to find, I remember them releasing some of their stuff on CD in the 90's

Cool.. thanks for the tip.. I'll take a look around..

R&R, naturally, but also some dance stuff, and new wave.

Classical is the kinda poison for me, where once in a while it can be great.

i grew up a rocker, but my tastes have mellowed and widened considerably in recent years..find myself listening to everything from clasical to fusion to folk and opera...really, just about anything except the current drivel that's called country.

Blues

After going through my music collection and discovering the Blue's more then any other type.
I picked Other realizing it must be the Blue's as my Poison.....
It would be nice to know - how many of the people who picked Other because The Blue's didn't make the list?
Barney :music:

Back
Top Bottom