What's your view of vintage SS Rotel?

godzilla

I've been looking at a Vintage Rotel as of late...RA-311 Integrated Amp. It's a nice looking compact amp. I'm not real sure about it though...I've never heard any Rotel products. I don't have the ability to listen to it, so I'm looking for some guidance. I was thinking of getting it for use with a pair of bookshelf speakers...Klipsch ??...that have yet to be purchased...I need some tunes in the hobby room.

A little guy from the mid-70s, 20 wpc, and $170.
Truth to tell, I wasn't impressed with Rotel gear then, but never really gave them a fair listen. Kinda considered it on a par with Sanyo for instance.

I'm not exactly sure that it's that old, but the pair of RB-980BX I have here are OK, but not, IMHO, up to par with my 80's vintage Yamaha's.

The Rotel is clear, precise (to a fault), but a not as warm as the Yami's. I've heard tell many have a high frequency hiss, but I haven't heard this from these.

Cheers,

I picked up an RA-1210 integrated from the SA a couple weeks ago.

I am quite smitten with its performance.

So much that it went from flip to keep.

Another Rotel

Hi. Does any of you know of a Rotel Receive model FAX-550A (and no, it does not receive faxes). Found it nicely packed when we cleaned Mom's attic.

This is what it says on the back : http://gallery.me.com/peterr#100066

All info welcome ...

peterr

Peter
a) McIntosh C32/MC2125, Marantz 2100, AR XA, SME, Ortofon MC30, Sony X707ES, JBL 4312 MkII + L100 Century
b) Marantz 3250B/170DC, Sony CDP-X505ES, JBL 4311 + L100 Century

Last edited:
Go for the RA-1312 (85 wpc) or the RA-1412 (110 wpc). These are classic silver face integrateds that have the same family look as the TOTL RX-1603 receiver.

Hello SoCal Sam

Actually I have plenty of gear (besides what I already mentioned a couple of heavy Marantz receivers (2252b and 2270) , a spare 3250B pre-amp, a spare Mac C26 preamp, several integrated amps (Marantz 1090, 112DC, 1152DC and a bunch of othe stuffe that I need to get rid of 'cause i never use it and it just takes up space). I just wanted some info on the newly found Rotel FAX-550A receiver that belonged to my late dad. I'm gonna keep it - naturaly. But I know nothing about it.

:)

Peter

Last edited:
Hi. Does any of you know of a Rotel Receive model FAX-550A (and no, it does not receive faxes). Found it nicely packed when we cleaned Mom's attic.

This is what it says on the back : http://gallery.me.com/peterr#100066

All info welcome ...

peterr

Peter
a) McIntosh C32/MC2125, Marantz 2100, AR XA, SME, Ortofon MC30, Sony X707ES, JBL 4312 MkII + L100 Century
b) Marantz 3250B/170DC, Sony CDP-X505ES, JBL 4311 + L100 Century

It looks really old. Does that say Roland on the back?

I really liked my RA 810 -- my first amp back in 1974 or so. But yours is older, I guess by several years if not even more. No mention in Orion Blue Book.

i just disassembled a rotel 555 receiver. had issues and too much trouble to fix. build was on the cheap side, parts quality was on par with low end consumer audio gear. when the thing worked it did sound good. had a very good tuner.

Hello SoCal Sam

Actually I have plenty of gear (besides what I already mentioned a couple of heavy Marantz receivers (2252b and 2270) , a spare 3250B pre-amp, a spare Mac C26 preamp, several integrated amps (Marantz 1090, 112DC, 1152DC and a bunch of othe stuffe that I need to get rid of 'cause i never use it and it just takes up space). I just wanted some info on the newly found Rotel FAX-550A receiver that belonged to my late dad. I'm gonna keep it - naturaly. But I know nothing about it.

:)

Peter

Ah yes, I didn't notice you had revived an old thread. Don't know much about your old Rotel. I also have a 1152DC and the RA-1312 compares favorably.

My very first receiver I received for a 13th birthday gift was a Rotel. I don't remember the name, but it was a silver faced with a green dial. I remember I had to connect the RCA jacks from my Garrad turntable into the ceramic input (the other option was the magnetic input. The closet I could find to a match was off of this Japanese website and I don't even know if it is the one I owned. I remember the sweet warm natural sound.

http://www.audio-heritage.jp/ROTEL/amp/rx-200a.html

Efa

Back
Top Bottom