When goods tubes go bad

Fixing TV sets, I've changed more tubes for H-K leakage than low emissions. The 6GH8 is notorious for it. My EICO 667 does a good job at checking leakage. The tube can still be used in an application with DC on the filament.
H/C leakage was a special annoyance with cathode driven crts, requiring an add-on isolation transformer as current blasting the short was too risky to the heater.

That`s one of the main reasons I bought a Amplitrex 1000 2 years ago, to finally completely check my rather large stash of tubes with high confidence..

If your interested in me testing it nj phoenix, PM me for my mailing address..
I`ll be glad to send it back on my nickel, whether it`s good or bad..

Just a thought Sir.

Kind regards, OKB

All kind offers.
The ultimate test is in the circuit you're using it in. In this case it failed the test.
I'm going to see gadget in less than 2 weeks.
If nothing proves conclusive (Which at this point seems like a foregone conclusion).
If I get around to it , I have several other pieces that run these. I could try it in something else. If you're like me its tough to keep known good tubes from iffy tubes .
I have some beater output tubes. Bad small signal tubes generally get tossed .
This one was so clean and the silk screening so nice , I was pretty surprised it didn't behave itself . Just goes to show , can't judge a book by its cover (or a tube in this case). Even if it tests good by more pedestrian methods:cool:

Mine is an Eico 667 with a fairly good leakage meter. I had it showing me problems that resulted from a snort of DeOxit that didn't dry out enough. Also why I don't use that stuff very much.

I have a 667 too, and find it's leakage test to be very sensitive and very useful. This is something the TV7 doesn't do at all.

All kind offers.
The ultimate test is in the circuit you're using it in. In this case it failed the test.
I'm going to see gadget in less than 2 weeks.
If nothing proves conclusive (Which at this point seems like a foregone conclusion).
If I get around to it , I have several other pieces that run these. I could try it in something else. If you're like me its tough to keep known good tubes from iffy tubes .
I have some beater output tubes. Bad small signal tubes generally get tossed .
This one was so clean and the silk screening so nice , I was pretty surprised it didn't behave itself . Just goes to show , can't judge a book by its cover (or a tube in this case). Even if it tests good by more pedestrian methods:cool:

Your most correct Sir. about the ultimate test.
And as to sorting out the grade of tubes, 2 weeks with my tube tester on the kitchen table & my personal assistant/house keeper carefully freezer bagging the decades of service "pulls" raw(un boxed) tubes that passed at least 70 % emissions, with no H/K leaks, and were not very microphonic with headphones on as compared to known to be new types as a reference, then those that didn`t pass muster, found their way to file 13..

Just thought to offer the test nj phoenix.

H/C leakage was a special annoyance with cathode driven crts, requiring an add-on isolation transformer as current blasting the short was too risky to the heater.

Yep, remember those good old days in the late sixties~ eighties !!

Thanks for that reflection down on memory lane..

You would be amazed at how many people do judge a tube by it's print. Many times a lower testing tube will sell for more then a higher testing tube with most of the print missing never fails to make me laugh when I see it happen.

Regards Snow

Last edited:
You would be amazed at how many people do judge a tube by it's print. Many times a lower testing tube will sell for more then a higher testing tube with most of the print missing never fails to make laugh when I see it happen.

Regards Snow

Silly, isn`t it !!
What for ?
Some kind of bragging rights for somebody`s personal tube museum ?
Beyond my usually practical mind set !!

Hey !! Look at my pristine labeled small tube.
Doesn`t it look perfect ?
Yes it does, but how does it sound ?
It does not work, but it sure looks great, doesn`t it, and no, you can`t touch it !!

Sorry about that, Snow !!
You help to trigger me !!

Now, back to the regular programming folks..

I was given a Shure add-on RIAA preamp with a pair of new appearance Telefunken smooth plates and perfect ink that I have yet to check out.

I recently encountered a Telefunken EL84 which tests well, but after operating for about ten minutes starts to red-plate. That one was a bit of a let down, the junky off brand 1960s Japanese tubes I have work fine, but the Telefunken is junk! Can't win them all.

Most of my good performing tubes have little to no print. The RCA 6bq5's in my Magnavox are bare, as are all of the tubes in my Metz console pull. I can only ID tube type in that thing by the Mullard codes on the sides.

I recently encountered a Telefunken EL84 which tests well, but after operating for about ten minutes starts to red-plate. That one was a bit of a let down, the junky off brand 1960s Japanese tubes I have work fine, but the Telefunken is junk! Can't win them all.

Sad, but often true when bought from unscrupulous venders !!

I still have my old B&K Precision 466.Poor thing just sits there now,gathering dust:(

Sad, but often true when bought from unscrupulous venders !!

Ah it's not the case here, it came from the bottom of my miscellaneous power tubes box, which is a mix of pulls and junk I picked up over the years, most of which was either free or nearly free when tubes were considered obsolete junk by most.

Honestly i don't remember where this tube came from.
I suspect it was a fellow Aker, If it came from where i think.
I don't think there was anything unscrupulous about the sale. Unless seller plugged into something and heard noise or had a more full featured tester and vetted it well, they'd never know.
4 of 5 were good:dunno:.

Back
Top Bottom