When is an Ariston a Linn Sondek LP 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As in polishing pebbles, tumbling, obvious when you think about it. Cheers, didn't realise it was used for that sort of thing too.

Last edited:
As in polishing pebbles, tumbling, obvious when you think about it. Cheers, didn't realise it was used for that sort of thing too.

There are a few nifty processes involved in making top class turntables
at any price point. A good cheapo is a lot harder to make than a money no object table. That's where the little details can pay dividends

Basically lapidiary. You put your component s in a drum with ball obearings and. very fine abrasive slurry and let it roll around for a. few hours
It smoothes the surface. Less noise is the aim. It works.
What do you run macaroonie?

Source SO. Black Widow. ATArt1

Crown Audio .SL2 . Rotel 6 Channel amp

JBl electronic xo

JBL homemade boxes loosely based on L300 but with a 2 inch horn.

When I bought my LP12 many years back now it had an incorrectly installed Black Widow fitted. The Black Widow is totally the wrong arm for an LP12. It goes against the whole theory behind the Sondek which relates to solid and tight.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good arm, but it's not compatible with the LP12.

I quickly sold it to a chap in the USA and replaced it with a Ittok LV3 Mk II.

When I bought my LP12 many years back now it had an incorrectly installed Black Widow fitted. The Black Widow is totally the wrong arm for an LP12. It goes against the whole theory behind the Sondek which relates to solid and tight.

So why did they sell them with the two\three versions of the basic arm. (just joking)

I don't Know if any of the people that have been into this thread have a BW on a lp12, maybe Hamstall may have dipped his toe in the water?

[QUOTE="IMF_Pioneer, post: it had an incorrectly installed Black Widow fitted. The Black Widow is totally the wrong arm for an LP12.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good arm, but it's not compatible with the LP12

Why exactly would that be the case ?

Good effort Sir. Dead jealous.

Thanks . Fully active system 15 inch woof 2235H plays down to 20

See the build on Lansing Heritage . :. Backyard box building .

One of the things that eventually scuunnered me with the hi Fi biz was this idolatry around Linn .You would not believe the superb gear available at
Relatively low cost in pro audio components but without the snake oil.

Why exactly would that be the case ?

Because they use loose bearings, thus the arm itself is a floating arm, everything about the Sondek is about everything being a tight fit, thus why they moved away from the SME 3009 arm and went to their own LVX and then the Ittok and so on. All their arms are solid bearing arms, not loose knife edge units.

I'm not going to get into an argument over this as that could go on forever in a day.

All I'm saying is that the Linn engineers have always leaned towards a solid bearing set up for the Sondek and not a loose bearing unit since the end of the SME 3009 arm. I have a unipivot arm on one of my other TT's without any issue, but in saying that it's not a suspension type table.

The LVIII is superb, but the ARO works equally brilliantly, so do the AO Uniarm, TP Javelin and Moerch unipivots. A number of people report good results from Maywares.

Just because Linn claim something 'works' and other systems don't appears to me to be another of their marketing red herrings. They certainly moved towards rigid bearings and 'Linn Tightness' but that also led to buggering up a load of Akitos and clagging up K9s with Superglue. Naim launched the ARO as a 'two-fingers' to all that malarkey when Tiefenbrun divorced Veruca.

HI Hamstall,

I totally get all the Linn Snake Oil but there has to be some sort of theory behind why they went to rigid bearings over loose ones otherwise they would've happily stay with that format after the "SME 3009 Improved"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom