Where did all the jumpers in the vintage amps and receivers go??

slowpat

Slowly but surely....
Subscriber
In my ten years of collecting vintage gear, there has been countless, emphasis **countless**, times where the receiver or integrated amp was missing the jumpers, and after patching with an RCA cable, the thing worked. In searching the web, numerous scores were posted, where the ecstatic buyer was describing how the missing jumpers was the only cause of the no audio problem, and how they paid pennies on the dollar.

I have been wondering how those jumpers went missing in the first place? If putting the jumpers back in got everything singing, that particular receiver was working when the owner decided to pull the jumpers and just put them away??? It's a mystery to me! And did the jumpers end up with the single socks that went missing from my laundry??

I had jumpers with my Pioneer SX-1010. I would pull the jumpers so I could use it to run 3 other amplifiers but when or if I wanted to sell it or use it again as a single unit, I couldn't remember where I put them so I would just have to either make myself a new pair, or just use a short pair of RCA interconnects.

Tape loops suck. No volume control, pre outs/ins are the prefered way to EQ.

This is wrong.

The preferred place for an EQ is the tape loop or a processor loop. The reason is sound quality. The loops provide a much higher signal than the low volume output from a preamp out magnified by the low level listening where that signal gets very close to the noise level of the processor.

If one uses the loops the signal level is always at line level in the unit and frequently what comes in on Aux, Tuner, CD or other high level inputs are sent to the tape and loop outputs as is. Then post processing the signal can be manipulated with the tone, volume and balance controls.

Most likely, someone tried to use the jumpers to pry the cover off the remote, broke that, and then hid all the evidence.

In my ten years of collecting vintage gear, there has been countless, emphasis **countless**, times where the receiver or integrated amp was missing the jumpers, and after patching with an RCA cable, the thing worked. In searching the web, numerous scores were posted, where the ecstatic buyer was describing how the missing jumpers was the only cause of the no audio problem, and how they paid pennies on the dollar.

I have been wondering how those jumpers went missing in the first place? If putting the jumpers back in got everything singing, that particular receiver was working when the owner decided to pull the jumpers and just put them away??? It's a mystery to me! And did the jumpers end up with the single socks that went missing from my laundry??

Step 1 steal jumpers

Step 3 profit

That all you got, pussy?

Back
Top Bottom