Where did all the jumpers in the vintage amps and receivers go??

This is wrong.

The preferred place for an EQ is the tape loop or a processor loop. The reason is sound quality. The loops provide a much higher signal than the low volume output from a preamp out magnified by the low level listening where that signal gets very close to the noise level of the processor.

If one uses the loops the signal level is always at line level in the unit and frequently what comes in on Aux, Tuner, CD or other high level inputs are sent to the tape and loop outputs as is. Then post processing the signal can be manipulated with the tone, volume and balance controls.

Yes this is the correct way, and I'll add one other main benefit, you can turn off the EQ if you don't want or need it without any interruption to the system playing.

As far as the jumpers missing. While we all can think in a disruption the seller says not working and we see the jumpers missing as do others. Some sellers really do have a fried unit and hopes a few buyers see that the jumper he pulled is missing.
yes there are dishonest people around . or benefit of doubt springs to mind . never take anything on face value unless it has a real nice face .

As far as the jumpers missing. While we all can think in a description the seller says not working and we see the jumpers missing as do others. Some sellers really do have a fried unit and hopes a few buyers see that the jumper he pulled is missing.;)
I've actually wondered if people did this.

Yes this is the correct way, and I'll add one other main benefit, you can turn off the EQ if you don't want or need it without any interruption to the system playing.
And they’re really intended as unity gain devices-not low impedance champs with muscular power supplies driving power amps.

PS
I like the one where theres a
Sansui 9090 db, not working will not come out of protection.

Opening bid $25.00:banana:

Well in the case I mention, the seller is the honest one. The dishonest one would be the buyer hoping to score. The buyer can be honest and write the seller and ask him to put RCAs in the location and get back to them if it works.
always face value for me . depending on what it is a multi-meter will tell you if its worth getting or not or simply the price if money is no object .. i stopped gambling a long time ago . and never pay more than i can sell for in its present unknown condition . unless i want it for myself .

I always taped them somewhere on the back panel, then re-inserted them when I changed use or moved them on, knowing otherwise they'd be lost. And I've never assumed that was the problem when seen them missing in a used for-sale ad.

Big shiny new nail, hammer, bolt-cutter, vice. New jumpers. I know RCA cables do the job, but I like less clutter, and back panels tend to have lots of IC clutter already.

Well in the case I mention, the seller is the honest one. The dishonest one would be the buyer hoping to score. The buyer can be honest and write the seller and ask him to put RCAs in the location and get back to them if it works.

I actually did this once on an amp I really wanted. Turned out it worked fine and the guy relisted it for what it was worth which I was honestly fine with. I didn't want a non-working project but I also wasn't up for spending what it would go for in working condition so we both benefited really.

While I've never lucked up and found an otherwise functional unit missing jumpers, just recently we had a recent newbie join here and had a most marvelously dirty Kenwood Model 11, and he was distraught that it didn't produce sound.

I suggested connecting the jumpers with rca's, and he was tickled to report it came alive.

Made me feel warm all over, lol.

Call me suspicious. When I see an add with an obvious problem I assume that's not the problem and the unit is roached beyond repair. Missing jumpers, tape monitor circuits switched in all make me wonder of the seller is really that stupid or is looking for an alternate way to claim no sound.

Most likely, someone tried to use the jumpers to pry the cover off the remote, broke that, and then hid all the evidence.

...in a sock.

When I had receivers or integrated amps with pre out / amp in capability I always pulled the jumpers and used a short set of DH labs Silver Sonic II interconnects instead for improved sound, but that is another can of worms I don't care to discuss. I always reinstalled the jumpers when moving them along to the next owner.
Regards,
Jim

While I've never lucked up and found an otherwise functional unit missing jumpers, just recently we had a recent newbie join here and had a most marvelously dirty Kenwood Model 11, and he was distraught that it didn't produce sound.

I suggested connecting the jumpers with rca's, and he was tickled to report it came alive.

Made me feel warm all over, lol.

I bought one as non working where the left/right out and left/right in were connected. Kind of a design flaw to allow the jumpers to fit in that orientation IMO.
It did pass sound after that but was still a sick amp in need of a lot of work.

Back
Top Bottom