Where do I start?

Roumelio

I never did an intro thread here. So to keep a short story long, my names Orestes, and I'm an alcoholic. Sorry, wrong door? This isn't AA. I also may or may not be an alcoholic. I am one of the more friendly kind of people though so don't be afraid to say hi. Sorry after years of being at university I get tired of these round circle tell us about yourself things. My dad jokes aren't particularly brilliant either.

My journey with vinyl began with my misspent youth sitting in dark rooms listening to DJs bang out stuff from the RAVE scene back in the 1990s. I always had a fascination with the big black discs ever since I saw my favourite DJs in the scene spinning vinyls. I would spend my time in the days in between going to clubs visiting friends and eventually friends become DJs and so my obsession with the big black discs started from there.

My actual affiliation with hearing vinyl goes back to when I was a 6 year old child where the Beastie Boys, NOFX, Rage Against the Machine, Run DMC, Snoop Dogg, and NWA were making names for themselves in the early 90s off the streets of California and New York as the counter-culture movement progressed itself through my childhood. To one extent or another I've had vinyl in my life, but never really had a personal collection.

Ironically my young life spent in counter-culture mostly represents my identity. I grew up in a community which I can say is very white, and as someone who is of a Southern European background in a white community non-conformity became a large part of my childhood. It spoke to me in a way that other music simply didn't growing up because it represented people who faced similar struggles but found a light out.

Although I can also say I blame my dad for my obsessions also. I grew up in a family where my dad was and still is a musician. I can say he can cut an axe with the best of them actually. This gave me a great appreciation for rock music, funk, blues, folk music and soul and my childhood music of punk and hip hop. Unfortunately this means my tastes go fro Marvin Gaye to NOFX, to Snoop Dogg, to Daft Punk, to Led Zeppelin to Rage Against the Machine and back again at the drop of that which makes my taste in music quite eccentric.

I am a mixed bag my interests come high and low everything from the 1950s until now. My collection of vinyl is about as eclectic as that. My interest with vinyl was stemmed by my past, unfortunately I never really progressed past thinking you needed a $1000 turntable and a 4channel mixing desk to get started so my interest in collecting didn't really take off seriously until last year.

I picked up a Technics SL-D2 and the appropriate amp equipment last year and I've been going from there since. I love the vinyl experience and picking up vinyl. Record store day can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned. I'm always looking through ebay and classifieds looking for things to add to my crate but I'm realisng as I get deeper into this that I could be one of those people in 30 years time that has a wall full of vinyl and a step ladder. I said I'd limit myself to two vinyls per week but I'm finding out at the moment that it's more like 5 or 6. I think I have a problem.

Last edited:
That's a fun intro, thanks.
I can relate to very little of that, so feel free to expound on it!

I hear ya on the 5 or 6 a week. I went from the 150 albums of my late teens to mid 20s to in the space of a few years, once I caught the bug in my early 50s, almost now at 1100. Welcome. It is amazing what a nice system can do.

Back
Top Bottom