Where do you draw the line with audio gear purchasing?

Pretty much what can afford, and if it's an upgrade. I'm fairly new to it being the Main Hobby. I've always dabbled, but now I'm getting more serious about things.

Years ago, I was a frequent Goodwill visitor and daily browser of Craigslist. If something caught my attention, I would pick it up. Rehabbed a lot of stuff, and even after selling had several pieces just sitting around.

About two years ago, I started buying pieces that got me closer to an end state, now most of my purchases are new stuff or higher-end used. But, if I buy something, an existing piece is likely leaving. If I do buy something, it's an upgrade to something I already have or an addition that will clearly improve my system.

This requires thinking of what I want before I buy. Once I eliminated impulse buys, my purchase activity went virtually to zero.

If we buy whatever catches the eye, we become neck deep in gear with just a few devices in use.

So there must be a line that is drawn to minimize the potential candidates. There has to be something in place that keeps purchases in check.

Myself.....solid state only. 100wpc and up, stereo only. Early 70s, through early 80s (other than my cdp). CDs are my only source. Good service manuals must be available. If this criteria is not met, consideration for purchase will not be given.

Speakers....."west coast" only. Vented cabinets only. Large bookshelf only. Cast aluminum basketed drivers only. No horns. This criteria must br met for me to consider buying.

This limits the playing field quite a bit and keeps things in check.

How do you keep from becoming a total hoarder? Let's face it, gear is addictive.

It depends if you keep it or "upgrade". I tend to only get new gear if I let other gear go. So if I find something I want on CL, I usually will flip a piece of gear I've restored for it. I let the hobby pay for itself.

Most recent example was a set of JBL L110's (yes, I know) LOL, I've had a few sets, the 110A's are one of my fav JBL. Anyway, a gent on CL posted a Linn turntable for $250.00, I knew it was not going to be up for more than a matter of an hour or so. I told the guy ill take it, and made plans to get it that afternoon. My living room at the time was full of gear, and being that I had 4-5 tables I really did not have a place to store it. But it was to good of a deal to pass up. Had traded some 110s for a set of some Quad speakers I had with another AK'er. I restored the 110's, they had a few small drill holes, they looked quite nice once I was done. The quads were quite pricy, but I think I paid a bill for them used a few years back... Long story longer, Posted a few pictures of the JBL's to CL, and in under an hour I had the $250 back in my pocket.

I don't hoard, I restore, keep what I want, and flip/trade the rest. I have a small living room so I really cant keep it. I've picked up some great gear over the years and not paid more than a few hundred bucks. My SX1250 was a $40 buck investment, swapped it for some Marantz 250's after I recapped it. Sold them off for a few grand. The trick is to keep only good quality gear that will warrant a swap or quick sale. This is the main reason I don't restore receivers anymore, while they are cool, they don't bring money in restored. I've done well with my speaker restore work, most of the time my speakers are sold off in BT, and don't last long. I really enjoy the work.

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_4025.JPG

Speakers....."west coast" only. Vented cabinets only. Large bookshelf only. Cast aluminum basketed drivers only. No horns. This criteria must br met for me to consider buying.

^^ This is too funny, I don't mess with horns either, and all my speakers have cast baskets. All!

I have to ask, do run 110's? If so, are they the A's? I ran a few sets for years, loved them.

My Old set up ^^ Need to pull that rack from storage!

Sorry...thought that the "SO" would give it away.

SO as in the "significant other". If a fair bit of cash has to go out for a piece of gear, then the little dear better be on board, otherwise one could be thrown off the ship...so to speak.

And I in turn thought you were being mysterious/subtle.:D In other words, you run the ship, when you wrote..."I don't follow"...her.

Q

Last edited:
After a few years of buying way too much at yard sales and thrift shops, my rules for purchasing a new piece of gear now are - it has to better than what I currently have and I have to have a use for it (so it's not just one more item piled up in the closet)..

or...if I find it interesting
or...if I'm curious about it
or...if I can scavenge parts from it
or...

I have no need to draw any line. Collecting and/or hoarding is not what I'm about. One good system is enough for me.,
As much as I enjoy the main system, I confess that I spend a lot of time in good weather enjoying the garage system. Similarly, I'm not a museum curator. :)

I'm not a collector. Not a hoarder. More like a zoologist. If I see an interesting specimen I'll consider buying it. If it's no more than one dollar per watt. That's where I draw the line. No hobby is fun if all you do to succeed is throw money at it.

Isn't shopping for gear or shopping in general, a hobby.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
It depends if you keep it or "upgrade". I tend to only get new gear if I let other gear go. So if I find something I want on CL, I usually will flip a piece of gear I've restored for it. I let the hobby pay for itself.

Most recent example was a set of JBL L110's (yes, I know) LOL, I've had a few sets, the 110A's are one of my fav JBL. Anyway, a gent on CL posted a Linn turntable for $250.00, I knew it was not going to be up for more than a matter of an hour or so. I told the guy ill take it, and made plans to get it that afternoon. My living room at the time was full of gear, and being that I had 4-5 tables I really did not have a place to store it. But it was to good of a deal to pass up. Had traded some 110s for a set of some Quad speakers I had with another AK'er. I restored the 110's, they had a few small drill holes, they looked quite nice once I was done. The quads were quite pricy, but I think I paid a bill for them used a few years back... Long story longer, Posted a few pictures of the JBL's to CL, and in under an hour I had the $250 back in my pocket.

I don't hoard, I restore, keep what I want, and flip/trade the rest. I have a small living room so I really cant keep it. I've picked up some great gear over the years and not paid more than a few hundred bucks. My SX1250 was a $40 buck investment, swapped it for some Marantz 250's after I recapped it. Sold them off for a few grand. The trick is to keep only good quality gear that will warrant a swap or quick sale. This is the main reason I don't restore receivers anymore, while they are cool, they don't bring money in restored. I've done well with my speaker restore work, most of the time my speakers are sold off in BT, and don't last long. I really enjoy the work.

View attachment 1195319

View attachment 1195320

^^ This is too funny, I don't mess with horns either, and all my speakers have cast baskets. All!

I have to ask, do run 110's? If so, are they the A's? I ran a few sets for years, loved them.

My Old set up ^^ Need to pull that rack from storage!

So what model Linn? I passed on a second LP12 for $450asking, few years back. Still kicking self. Granted some are hostile toward. And working LP12 is way north of $250 around here.

Last edited:
So what model Linn? I passed on a second LP12 for $450asking, few years back. Still kicking self. Granted some are hostile toward. And working LP12 is way north of $250 around here.

It's the Linn Axis, I just got my new Hercules II PS in a few weeks back. Waiting for my standoffs to arrive to mount it. shouls be a good upgrade. :)

Axis is a nice table.
I have a 1983 made Valhala PS LP12 with Basik tonearm/AT 440mla cart.

I think mine has the Basik Plus... I'll have to take a look. The table is going to get some serious upgrades. New PS, going to do a few little things like techflex the wiring, and going to be adding some sound dampening material in the plinth. It's running an AT901 I think.. low buck but sounds good. I have a few empires I will throw on.

If we buy whatever catches the eye, we become neck deep in gear with just a few devices in use.

So there must be a line that is drawn to minimize the potential candidates. There has to be something in place that keeps purchases in check.

Myself.....solid state only. 100wpc and up, stereo only. Early 70s, through early 80s (other than my cdp). CDs are my only source. Good service manuals must be available. If this criteria is not met, consideration for purchase will not be given.

This limits the playing field quite a bit and keeps things in check.

How do you keep from becoming a total hoarder? Let's face it, gear is addictive.

Pretty good. I would modify your opening proposition from buying criteria ro keeping criteria. I buy whatever is significantly below market value. Does not matter whether I like the piece or not. Most will not fit my collection but I buy for a purpose. Audio dollars are saved and then I buy from my wanted list, usually at market price. This keeps the numbers in check and makes the collection better.

Back
Top Bottom