Where Do You Shop

WntrMute2

for audio stuff? I would like to compile a list of audio shops in the area. Both for equipment new and used as well as stores for software, LPs and CDs or whatever. I'll start with:
Hardware: Audio Dimensions in Royal Oak and Alma's also in R.O. Both on Woodward.

Software: Solo records Woodward in R.O., Flipside in Clawson (pretty good selection of new LPs.), Streetside Records on Greenfield, CarCity records (my favorite) on Harper.

Chime in.
Dave

Hey. It's Street Corner Records on Greenfield. Don't forget Peoples Records in Detroit. Brad is a super nice and knowledgeable dude, Record Graveyard in Hamtramck. Jeff has way too many records at great prices.

The Record Collector on Nine Mile Road in Ferndale - so-so, but it is there. (Interesting crowd ... )

Record Time in Roseville on Gratiot just north of I-696. I hit Solo and Street Corner more often, but Solo seems to be getting pricey and Street Corner has less rock stuff.

I agree that Solo has gotten pricey and their quality is getting worse. I picked up a number of LPs the other day and all but one were warped or noisy. I haven't been to Roseville in a while, maybe this weekend. Any suggestions on good shops for equipment? I like to see what's out there.
Dave

In Ann Arbor:pJ's Used Records on Packard,& Encore Records on Liberty.Overture Audio on Main st. for gear.

In Ann Arbor:pJ's Used Records on Packard,& Encore Records on Liberty.Overture Audio on Main st. for gear.

I love going into PJ's. Jeff will talk your ear off. The man certainly loves the company. Great vinyl too.

Encore Records is excellent also. Tons of great vinyl and cds.

I like to vist Harry and Jay at Audio Dimensions they let me test drive stuff, and Alma's sometimes has really good deals.

I also shop Solo records and Street corner, but haven't been out that way for awhile.

I just got back from St. Louis, MO. on vacation and found two record shops with nice prices The Vintage Vinyl and Euclid Records.

Music is the Michigan Electronic Library 'MEL' Encore in AA and Dearborn Music.

I love going into PJ's. Jeff will talk your ear off. The man certainly loves the company. Great vinyl too.

PJ's is cool, but DMAX99 will scoop up the prime vinyl while your politely listening to Jeff.......s'pecially if you have had a beer!

For gear it is Audiogon and BarterTown. Why buy new?

That being said, I like the guys at Overture Audio in AA.

http://www.overture-audio.com/

Big Geroge's also has some great brands but I have not been there since Martin Cooper left Wadia and took over the store. I owe him a visit, nice guy.

http://www.big-georges.com/audio.aspx

Last edited:
Almas and Audio Dimensions for gear sometimes, but Ive been DIYing lately, so sourcing my parts online has been pretty good. For music, I order directly from the record labels since most of the albums I purchase generally arent sold directly in the states unless you order from Amazon. Most times, the labels I purchase from are cheaper than Amazon, even though the prices are in EUR or GBP. It normally works out to ~$10 per CD.

Not really local, but I picked up some really good LPs both new and used at Sound It Out Records in Traverse City.

The guys at Cousins are cool, they used to move the bottom boxes to the top each Saturday.

Love the name too Uro!

Hey you guys, I'm surprised Audio~Video Alternatives didn't get mentioned. Come on down! On woodward too. Just south of 14.
Dan

Heard a rumor (from what I think is a reliable source) that Record Time is closing sometime in the next several months ...

Back
Top Bottom