Where does your music take you?

Senility isn't necessarily a bad thing:) Mick Jagger once said "it's okay to let yourself go as long as you can let yourself back".

As far as my imagination will go. Some Slim Whitman songs take me to a sun soaked west facing front porch in the desert, with a condensation dripping cold beverage in my hand.

Music helps me be in the moment - active listening. Those are the most meaningful listening sessions, anyways; time is gone and we are like sane, noble animals, no more words from our chattering brain filling our head.

I am intrigued by how combinations of sounds can result in chemical reactions in our brains and bodies. The goosebumps associated with "frisson" is perhaps the most significant reaction.

Somebody once said "music soothes the savage breast". IOW it makes everything go away. You can't focus on it and something else at the same time, including your gear.

A thought provoking question this is.:idea:

For the most part, certain songs have particular meanings for me as I can tag them to either a person or event... or both. Some times the connection is a happy one...some times not so.

I think this is why music is so favoured by most as it stimulates our brain in such a way that time has no meaning and we can be transported back the instant we hear that familiar tune or the lyrics that go with it. Memories can come flooding in if we allow them. There have been times where I've had to go over and either stop the music or move on to another genre. Other times I've just wallowed in the memories that were attached to the tunes/lyrics.

As in my signature..."Music is the language of the soul".

Q

Last edited:
Music, a time machine we carry with us. A wonderful machine at that but depending on the song it'll span the spectrum of emotions. Usually good. It's a journey I'm still learning about with all it's complexity and subtle nuances. All I know I'm SO grateful for such talented musicians that I gladly pay for admission.

My music generally takes me back in time, but the destination varies. If it's a classical work that I've performed -- and there are many of those, considering that I started playing trombone 51 years ago -- I usually flash back to the first time I played it in concert. There are exceptions, though; hearing Dvorak's Carnival Overture takes me back to the first and only Chicago Symphony concert I heard live, where the Dvorak work opened the program.

Rock, pop, and jazz usually bring to mind the first time and place that I heard the song on the radio or stereo. As for classical music that I haven't played, I tend to enjoy it in the now and let it interact with my emotional state.

Listening to classical music, especially violin concertos, always provokes thoughts of my poor ole brother practicing violin growing up. For some odd reason, rap music has the most nostalgic effect on me. I was at the gym today and "93 'til Infinity" was playing and I had to just stop and listen to the whole thing as it brought me back to 9th grade.

Depends ...many pop/rock songs of 60’s and 70’s take me to my youth and through teens and coming of age. For most of us these are the songs we cling to forever.

As I go through life music and specific songs tend to remind me of places, friends, my children, my wife, friends past and present. Some songs remind me of a season or specific period in my life.

Music really is the soundtrack of our lives.

A thought provoking question this is.:idea:

For the most part, certain songs have particular meanings for me as I can tag them to either a person or event... or both. Some times the connection is a happy one...some times not so.

I think this is why music is so favoured by most as it stimulates our brain in such a way that time has no meaning and we can be transported back the instant we hear that familiar tune or the lyrics that go with it. Memories can come flooding in if we allow them. There have been times where I've had to go over and either stop the music or move on to another genre. Other times I've just wallowed in the memories that were attached to the tunes/lyrics.

As in my signature..."Music is the language of the soul".

Q
When I start getting surly or stressed, I realize I have been away from good music for too long. The blasé tunes on the Muzak start to irritate and I have to enjoy some quality time in the stereo cave or escape to the headphones for the cure....

Usually from bed in the morning to my office (work from home) where I have a very good system. Then it takes me from the home office to my main system lounge where things can go to another level and of course much louder. This then takes me away from reality for the last time block in the day.

Back
Top Bottom