Where to buy new vinyl?

DesertTwang

After buying yet another faulty, new, "audiophile" pressing, this time Gillian Welch's Soul Journey album ($30!, off-center), and my request for an exchange being ignored by the label (Acony), I'm sick of buying new vinyl, only to unpack a record that's in crappier shape than 90% of my thrift store vinyl collection. Plus, who can afford this? Roughly one out of every two new vinyl records I buy is not perfect. And by "perfect," I mean free from warps, scratches and being centered. I'm not overly picky.

And each time I find myself ending up in the same purgatory: Do I go back to the store where I bought the album, only to get into endless discussions about whether I'm too picky, feeling bad for being a "difficult customer," making life difficult for the already struggling independent record store industry etc. etc.

I'm tired of it. I'm looking for a retailer where I can buy all the new releases that I'm interested in knowing I can exchange them if they're faulty, no questions asked.

Does such a retailer exist?
Thanks!

After buying yet another faulty, new, "audiophile" pressing, this time Gillian Welch's Soul Journey album ($30!, off-center), and my request for an exchange being ignored by the label (Acony), I'm sick of buying new vinyl, only to unpack a record that's in crappier shape than 90% of my thrift store vinyl collection. Plus, who can afford this? Roughly one out of every two new vinyl records I buy is not perfect. And by "perfect," I mean free from warps, scratches and being centered. I'm not overly picky.

And each time I find myself ending up in the same purgatory: Do I go back to the store where I bought the album, only to get into endless discussions about whether I'm too picky, feeling bad for being a "difficult customer," making life difficult for the already struggling independent record store industry etc. etc.

I'm tired of it. I'm looking for a retailer where I can buy all the new releases that I'm interested in knowing I can exchange them if they're faulty, no questions asked.

Does such a retailer exist?
Thanks!
Amazon , if there’s an issue with the pressing there’s no questions asked you get a replacement or your money back .

Audiofreak71

Ebay, particularly ImportCDs, has always worked out well for me. Maybe I don't buy enough new vinyl to have a problem with bad pressings.

I buy from get_importcds from eBay because:
a) they have good prices to start with and free shipping
b) they often (like most of the time) have a promotion where you get an additional 20% off when you spend $60 (so typically 3 records)
c) if you have a problem, the eBay rules kick in and return shipping is at the seller's cost - you just print out a return label

They will refund you vs giving you a replacement, so depending on your perspective, that's good or bad. I think it's fine, because I can always buy the same record again in my next order.

With some other places, you have to hit a higher threshold to get free shipping, or they'll make you pay return shipping on defective records.

I have a list of record labels that do re-issues that are usually good quality. eg. Rhino, Sundazed, Mobile Fidelity, Legacy and more.
Also a list to avoid.
I compiled the list by entering in "best quality record label re-issues" into my search engine. You get many sites to browse, of best and those to avoid.
Most of the Labels you find can be dealt with direct.
Or, take your list to your record store if you buy at one,or, ask the seller on auction site what the pressing is if it is not shown, should be a picture.
Last month I bought a brand new, shrink wrapped copy of Pink Floyd "Division Bell from a large record shop that also stocks new new vinyl. When I removed the shrink wrap and took the record out it had a heavy scratch through first track! Very audible. I sent it back and they sent a replacement with the money to cover my postage.
So in answer to your question: Yes, they do exist.

MusicDirect has treated me fairly.

Me, not so much.

Their return policy leaves a lot to be desired. Customer pays return shipping on "defective" products (records), only same title replacement (no issues with this), and if the replacement is bad the customer is SOL, (this I have issues with).

I buy from Barnes & Noble, absolutely no issues with returns, and from my local guy, he orders anything I need and has no issues with returns, he's also an enthusiast.

So far, I bought about 10 used boxed sets on Amazon....all were fairly honestly rated.....just lucky I guess. If I were to start collecting again, I might try Barter Town here on AK...somehow I have a hunch members here would be fairly honest compare with the public in general.

I buy from the Virgin Megastores here in the UAE. They take returns and one can order from almost 700 records if not in the store.

You have Zia Records in Tucson. Have you checked them out? I've bought lots of CDs from them and customer service is great.
Yep, that's where I bought that flawed album. I didn't take it back because of exactly the awkwardness I described in my OP. Only very recently did I return a defective new record, and while they were accommodating and accepted the exchange, I'd be talking to the same store manager again, and I'm afraid I'll be known as "that guy who is overly picky with his records." A large portion of the vinyl crowd that seems to frequent local stores like ZIa appears to be not exactly audiophile; mostly hipsters who believe that dusty, scratched and warped records are part of the "vinylz experience."

Plus, the Arizona ZIA locations explicitly have posted signs explaining that "because we are located in the desert, we assume no responsibility for defective new vinyl."

Back
Top Bottom