Where to buy new vinyl?

Depends on who has the best price for what I'm looking for. Had one return to Amazon and they were cool about it.

Amoeba Music
Rasputin Music
Soundstage Direct
Amazon

I'll start with an answer to your initial question: I've had great luck with Elusive Disc. Great selection, quick shipping, and good packaging. I can't speak to their return policy, as I've never had occasion to test it.

Now the tenuous part of my response: With all due respect, you yourself seem to realize that you may be overly "picky". You mentioned that fact more than once in your writing. Please know that my intention is not to create a war here regarding getting what you pay for, good customer service, etc. I get it. You want the product to be representative of the money spent. But at some point, it's the music that matters, rather than a smudge on the record surface. I've had albums come (brand new), with center holes slightly too small for the spindle. After a few times on and off, the hole works open a bit to be acceptable. This was a minor flaw, IMO. Not worthy of a return ship, phone call, email, etc.

Admittedly, we are enjoying a revival of vinyl, because of the warmth and immediacy of the recordings. The manufacturing process has it's inherent flaws (remember the tag line "CD's- perfect sound forever!"). But the end result is a stunning recreation of sound and space. I for one, can live with, and overlook some of those flaws.

Cosmetic flaws are acceptable, a few minor sonic imperfections also, but when a new record costing more than $30 with such imperfections leaving whole cuts unlistenable is not. With some it's obvious with just the naked eye the mold was opened while the vinyl was still tacky and stuck to the mold. Running your finger over the surface feels like sandpaper, playing the track sounds like it also. When you order a batch of 3 and all are in this condition and the seller expects the buyer to pay return shipping this in my mind is also unacceptable.

And each time I find myself ending up in the same purgatory: Do I go back to the store where I bought the album, only to get into endless discussions about whether I'm too picky, feeling bad for being a "difficult customer," making life difficult for the already struggling independent record store industry etc. etc.
That wont work, soon you will not be able to shop there.

I'm tired of it. I'm looking for a retailer where I can buy all the new releases that I'm interested in knowing I can exchange them if they're faulty, no questions asked.
Good luck, faulty to you might not be faulty to others, maybe just start buying CDs?

Does such a retailer exist?
Nope at some point they will get where your coming from and block you.

off-center)
What's off center to you, what's it showing you?

Amazon , if there’s an issue with the pressing there’s no questions asked you get a replacement or your money back .

With all due respect, Amazon is one of the places that contribute to threads like this. They give you no info on the actual record your buying, people shop there for chap prices and title not caring what pressings they are buying.

What does this mean? I am on the East coast, please enlighten me.

Heat!!= warped records

I explained this to the OP in the last rant thread he started, but didn't know, or he didn't tell me the store had this posted.

He is calming a high volume of bad records mainly warped and I told him it's has to be the heat because of where he lives. All records have to be shipped to him or the local stores. They will be exposed to heat others are not having to deal with.

With all due respect, Amazon is one of the places that contribute to threads like this. They give you no info on the actual record your buying, people shop there for chap prices and title not caring what pressings they are buying.[/QUOTE]

Well I was giving him options that fit into his criteria. I have bought from amazon many times specifically for QRP and mfsl vinyl and have had great results . I have also received vinyl from amazon that was horrible, badly warped etc and I was promptly given a replacement, if the replacement was bad they don’t think about giving a refund . There stands a chance of any company that sends out vinyl for it to get to your door in bad shape , some have better track records than others , however it’s what happens between the time it leaves them and gets to your door . Just to note I bought two Norah Jones from QRP a couple years ago , one of the two was in bad shaped (warped ) , I let them know and they didn’t hesitate to give me another copy, a week in a half later I received my copy . I think it really all depends and people have there preference of who they buy from , nothing wrong with that .

Audiofreak71

I think it really all depends and people have there preference of who they buy from , nothing wrong with that .
Generally I shop at local stores and sometimes at AS. I try not to buy anywhere I can't get ALL the info I want. I also don't just buy a title, I find out who's making it, how many new issues are out on that title and what's the best one is. I don't worry about the price as I want the best copy I can get. If it's a new title there still might be a chance there is two world wide pressings of it.

My point is we as shoppers have to shop, it's not easy with a mouse click. Or I should say it's to easy to click and not research. When your in a store you can look at the cover and callout stickers and determine the lineage of it.

Looks like there is only one pressing of this one right now.

Gillian Welch's 2003 "Soul Journey" on AAA Vinyl For the First Time
Michael Fremer | Sep 9, 2018

QRP vinyl problems
Submitted by tparker14 on Sun, 2018-09-09 20:17

I returned 2 copies of this release before receiving one that didn't have 1. objectionable amounts of surface noise, even after cleaning, 2. significant edge warping, and 3. very off-center spindle holes. The album sounds great, though, now that I've got a good vinyl copy sorted out.

'Soul Journey'
Submitted by eugeneharrington on Tue, 2018-09-11 09:24

My first copy of 'Soul Journey' had a short, light scratch on track 2 Side 1 that you could not feel with your finger but which reproduced as a continuous click when played. My replacement copy however is pretty much flawless.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/gillian-welchs-2003-soul-journey-aaa-vinyl-first-time

Generally I shop at local stores and sometimes at AS. I try not to buy anywhere I can't get ALL the info I want. I also don't just buy a title, I find out who's making it, how many new issues are out on that title and what's the best one is. I don't worry about the price as I want the best copy I can get. If it's a new title there still might be a chance there is two world wide pressings of it.

My point is we as shoppers have to shop, it's not easy with a mouse click. Or I should say it's to easy to click and not research. When your in a store you can look at the cover and callout stickers and determine the lineage of it.

Looks like there is only one pressing of this one right now.

Gillian Welch's 2003 "Soul Journey" on AAA Vinyl For the First Time
Michael Fremer | Sep 9, 2018

QRP vinyl problems
Submitted by tparker14 on Sun, 2018-09-09 20:17

I returned 2 copies of this release before receiving one that didn't have 1. objectionable amounts of surface noise, even after cleaning, 2. significant edge warping, and 3. very off-center spindle holes. The album sounds great, though, now that I've got a good vinyl copy sorted out.

'Soul Journey'
Submitted by eugeneharrington on Tue, 2018-09-11 09:24

My first copy of 'Soul Journey' had a short, light scratch on track 2 Side 1 that you could not feel with your finger but which reproduced as a continuous click when played. My replacement copy however is pretty much flawless.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/gillian-welchs-2003-soul-journey-aaa-vinyl-first-time
I agree and I like to get my vinyl from a little shop up here in the Pacific Northwest called Rainy Day Records , they carry a lot of great titles and really good quality records, I have yet to return one from them however there return policy is easy, just bring the copy back that’s bad and they’ll give you another copy or refund your money . I support them more than amazon , however I can’t deny amazons quick shipping and no hassle returns , but your point is valid and I would rather support the other stores before amazon however I believe sometimes there’s a time and place for amazon.

Audiofreak71

I buy everything from my local record store, and this includes new, used, audiophile, Japan pressings, etc..

My last purchase was the new John Coltrane on vinyl. I wanted to buy the deluxe version (which included the out-takes). When the order came in, it was the standard version which didn't include the out-takes. I asked if the deluxe version was on order, it was and they told me they would hold a copy for me and call me when it arrived, which they did. I now have what I wanted. I love the service and attention I get, and the quality of the product. I have been buying new records from him ever since he opened shop about ten years ago. I have never been disappointed, and if I ever was not happy with anything, I was encouraged to not be shy and bring it back for another copy. Only once did I buy something which I returned. It turns out the entire lot of that specific pressing was sub-standard so he thanked me for bringing it to his attention and he returned everything back to the supplier.

I've never bought anything on-line, I guess I'm lucky in that everything I could possibly ask for is stocked 15 minutes away.

If I were left with no choice but to buy on-line, I would probably look into Acoustic Sounds. They seem to have everything and at great prices (no affiliation).

RE: Elusive Disc. I've never had reason to test their return policy before, which is a compliment: but I received a copy of MOFI's Rasberries' Best Friday that was deffective in a way I've never seen before. There are tow areas in each rotation where the tone arm dived toward the spindle so hard that there is a serious mistrack. On both sides. No warp. On a rig that handles THE renowned 1812 Overture without breaking a sweat. I notified ED (obviously not their fault) Friday and I'll let you know how it shakes out.

Another option is DISCOGS. It's like a super eBay for audio enthusiasts. I've only used it twice, but both sellers were great and the prices were very good.

https://www.discogs.com/search/

For specialty pressings, and older used material I usually just buy from Discogs sellers, Even new stuff you can usually find from sellers there. I do go to Barnes and Noble for a few records but they don't offer much.

Tower Records, Sam Goody, Record World, Record Town, or J&R Music. Where else? You will, however, need a DeLorean with a fully charged flux capacitor.

Less flippantly, when purchasing from Amazon I have learned to ask, prior to purchase, if the seller will pack records and books with corrugated cardboard. Otherwise a vinyl mailer (padded and unpadded), or a paper envelope (again, padded or unpadded) will be used, and the record or book will be badly damaged. Even when I ask, items arrived destroyed. This is because the sellers often make money on shipping by using DHL and the least expensive plastic wrapping. Many sellers make a vague comment like "I know how to ship" and those are the albums showing up in four CD-sized pieces.

I'll start with an answer to your initial question: I've had great luck with Elusive Disc. Great selection, quick shipping, and good packaging. I can't speak to their return policy, as I've never had occasion to test it.

Now the tenuous part of my response: With all due respect, you yourself seem to realize that you may be overly "picky". You mentioned that fact more than once in your writing. Please know that my intention is not to create a war here regarding getting what you pay for, good customer service, etc. I get it. You want the product to be representative of the money spent. But at some point, it's the music that matters, rather than a smudge on the record surface. I've had albums come (brand new), with center holes slightly too small for the spindle. After a few times on and off, the hole works open a bit to be acceptable. This was a minor flaw, IMO. Not worthy of a return ship, phone call, email, etc.

Admittedly, we are enjoying a revival of vinyl, because of the warmth and immediacy of the recordings. The manufacturing process has it's inherent flaws (remember the tag line "CD's- perfect sound forever!"). But the end result is a stunning recreation of sound and space. I for one, can live with, and overlook some of those flaws.

An album being punched off center as the OP mentioned is absolutely not acceptable under any circumstances. A scuff, maybe a light click / pop or two, a slight warp...yeah, I think we can kind of expect that. An off center LP is defective, can’t be repaired and IMO is unlistenable. Same thing happened to me with Silversun Pickups album. Unfortunately I bought it at Rasputin’s in Berkeley and I couldn’t check it out until I was back in NJ. Screw it, I bought the CD and carried on.

Amazon will take vinyl back if its defective (warped, off center, etc.). Plus, you don't have to interface with a human, which is often awkward at best. Its too bad its come to this though.

An album being punched off center as the OP mentioned is absolutely not acceptable under any circumstances. A scuff, maybe a light click / pop or two, a slight warp...yeah, I think we can kind of expect that. An off center LP is defective, can’t be repaired and IMO is unlistenable. Same thing happened to me with Silversun Pickups album. Unfortunately I bought it at Rasputin’s in Berkeley and I couldn’t check it out until I was back in NJ. Screw it, I bought the CD and carried on.
I may have used an incorrect term (off-center). I should have stated that the center hole was slightly small to easily be placed on the spindle. It was centered, just not completely opened to sit over the center spindle without a bit of extra pressure. My mistake for the incorrect term being used. I agree that "off-center" would be a whole different issue.

No problem, I see what you mean about the undersized center hole too. Actually some turntables have larger diameter spindles than others, for example I have a Thorens TD-125 Mk II and an AR XA that have larger diameter spindles than any of my other turntables. The platter has to be turning as I put on / take off records on the Thorens and AR tables or they will get stuck and cause problems, yet the same records will slip right over the spindles on all of my other tables with only a little friction.

Back
Top Bottom