Where's my iTunes info???

Andyman

Scroungus Stereophilus
Subscriber
OK, so I finally swapped in my new old computer for my old old computer so I could get a marginally faster CPU, RAM and SATA. No problems really, just the usually re-installs, but that's fine as 4 years of crap gets tossed too in the process.

But Itunes is jacked. I had it loading to an external HD and when I installed it on the fresh machine it didn't download the album, artist, and ratings for probably 2/3 of the 3800+ songs. I burn 99.9% of my stuff from CDs as .WAV files and understand there's something about ID3 tags and the album art that is/was an issues, but why did it work for 1/3 of my stuff and not the other 2/3s?

That's what chafing my britches right now??

That and the fact that the old machine hooked up on the network sees the info just fine with 100% of the information there.

What do i need to do to make this right? I did the uninstall/reinstall hoping that a second shot would do it, but it just somehow figured out what was up before and did the same thing.

What do I need to do here??

Last edited:
Thank you!!

It appears I may have made some classic errors here, so tomorrow I'll dig into this a bit more. I may just wind up going back to the old machine, redoing it up right and then do the transfer over to the new machine.
Or actually, maybe I'll just move the stuff over to the new machine's 1T internal drive and use the external 320G HD as a backup. my library is only 140G right now, so there's plenty of room on the 320 for the near term.

Well, that didn't work out so well.
Since I use WAV files, iTunes doesn't read something called ID3 tags in them, or they don't exist, and it can't determine the artist and album info.

So now I have 2500+ files to manually edit...wonder-effing-ful......

Can you restore the original configuration? It seems like backtracking a couple steps and then doing a proper iTunes library export might save you time.

I don't know..
I did find a bunch of .itl Library files which allegedly do have the info, but moving them over to the new drive hasn't resolved the missing info, as some links suggest it may.

I have done this around 4 times with an iTunes library of >250gb in size. First off, take a deep breath, step back - and start over by following that iLounge link posted above - read it through twice and follow *every* step. As long as you have your old iTunes files and structures still intact, you can perform this migration. Good luck - let us know how it goes - the process is far from intuitive, but when performed methodically - it will work.

There are definitely some WAV's in there - all metadata transfers over, as iTunes data files keep track of it all. I just double checked - all of my Beatles box set for example, are in WAV - and they all transferred with metadata successfully using that process.

Back
Top Bottom