Which Amps and Speakers Had the Longest Production Run?

Morris Kessler at ATI has been putting out his same basic multi-channel power amp for decades His 5- and 7-channel models were THE 150-200wpc "Home Theater" units for just about every major nameplate out there when HT first hit big.

The MC275 was only made for 12 years and then a long hiatus before a 'commemorative' reissue, a different amp in my book. Gotta be something that was made for more than a dozen years.

R-R says the MC275 was 61-70 but the same site says the MC250 67-79. Based on that and the inability to call the commemorative version the same MC275, McIntosh has a longer in production amp than the MC275. But what is the production run of the New MC275, maybe that one is longer than the MC250

Last edited:
MC275 first reissue in 1995 (limited to a 400 unit run that year, 300 of which went to Japan) but technically there have been a total of 5 different versions until the present (including the 1995 model).

Incidentally- were it not for the Japanese market (or Clarion for that matter) there probably would not have been any MC275 reissue.

I would have guessed the MC2100, not the MC250. However, one was the replacement for the TOTL MC275 and the other for the immensely popular MC240.

MC275 first reissue in 1995 (limited to a 400 unit run that year, 300 of which went to Japan) but technically there have been a total of 5 different versions until the present (including the 1995 model).

Incidentally- were it not for the Japanese market (or Clarion for that matter) there probably would not have been any MC275 reissue.

Altec 604 introduced 1943, in continuous production to date with the exception of about one year in the later 60's when the bean counters thought replacing it with the slightly cheaper to build 605 was a good idea. I am told that even during this time, 604's were still built and could be special ordered. But, they didn't show up in any documentation for about that one year period.

I would think the Dynaco ST-70 would be on this list for amps........been in production in one form or another (kits etc) for a long time, and it's basically a modified WIlliamson type amp.....and those have been around since the 30's......

+1 on the K-horns........and lets not forget Henry Kloss' contribution to speakers, the acoustic suspension design......the AR, the KLH, the Advent, Cambridge Soundworks Six.......and the guys he influenced, Boston Acoustics, Human Speakers, etc.......they are all similar in design and have been in production since the early 50's.....

I would think the Dynaco ST-70 would be on this list for amps........been in production in one form or another (kits etc) for a long time, and it's basically a modified WIlliamson type amp.....and those have been around since the 30's......

+1 on the K-horns........and lets not forget Henry Kloss' contribution to speakers, the acoustic suspension design......the AR, the KLH, the Advent, Cambridge Soundworks Six.......and the guys he influenced, Boston Acoustics, Human Speakers, etc.......they are all similar in design and have been in production since the early 50's.....
The Laurent driver in the Dyna amps have far more in common with the Mullard amp than the Williamson. One gain stage DC coupled straight to splitter, (only)cap coupling is to outputs. Simpler, less 'stuff' in the signal path.

The Laurent driver in the Dyna amps have far more in common with the Mullard amp than the Williamson. One gain stage DC coupled straight to splitter, (only)cap coupling is to outputs. Simpler, less 'stuff' in the signal path.
True, but all of them have been around along time......which was my point.

Williamson is part of a family of resistance coupled audio amplifiers that go way back to the beginnings of consistent stable manufactured tubes in the 'teens, ca WW-1. Williamson was a long term project to perfect a low distortion resistance coupled power amplifier with global feedback, beginning in the latter 1930s, iirc.
The alternative to resistance coupling was transformer coupling, a variation used loading inductors with dc blocking signal coupling capacitors. Transformer coupling was common in domestic radio receivers in the 1920s, giving way to resistance coupling in the 1930s. Many higher powered audio amplifiers, otoh, were transformer coupled, tho resistance coupled amps were regarded as having lower inherent distortion.

Magnepan is continuously improved with updated models. I, I-Improved, Ia, Ib, Ic then 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7. Just like most cars of the same name but brand new every 7 years or so.

From what I could find on a Sony TA3200F amp i have and the matching TA2000 and 2000F preamp, is they ran from '71 through '76. A pretty long run for SS equipment.

Back
Top Bottom